ACE250 Question

Titan1000

Ive been told that the lead to the coil on the 250 can cause my machine to false respond. Is that true, How should I wrap the lead, Im confused.,Have I been Digging needless holes, also I was told that if the coil is bumped it will false respond, Have I bought the wrong machine?:?: :no:

As long as the cable is not flopping around loosely on the shaft, it will not false. The manual tells you how to wrap the cable properly. I take and extra step and use a couple of Velcro cable wraps on my cable for the first foot or so from the coil.

If you bump the coil into something while swinging, the machine will sometimes false. It's not really an issue though, as I've only noticed it when I've bumped mine pretty good on dirt clod or rock or something like that. Now if you have a loosely wrapped cable, that may be a different story, though.

The Ace 250 is a great machine. Happy hunting!

I agree 100% with Hobbes. Loosely wrap your cable and gently tie it down. Use velcro or tie wraps - but be GENTLE with the tie wraps - no cinching.

When you thump the detector head you'll get a false positive, but that's just the nature of the beast. Good luck!

No, you've got a very good beginners machine. You've been given good advice on tying down the cable, just follow what the manual says to do and you'll be fine. I bought my ACE250 shortly after they came out (2+ years) and have never had any trouble with it.

The coil will false if you whack it into a rock or a stump, but don't worry about breaking it, the coil is tough. I've banged mine hundreds of times, and she's still good as new!

Good luck with your new ACE!

I have also read that the cable should go straight up the shaft for the first foot and should be taped to the shaft. I have done this with my ACE 250 but I think I will remove the tape and see if I can use the Velcro that?s on the armrest as I never use it to strap my arm in.
I have been wondering how important a coil cover is?
Is the coating over the windings thin? I often hunt on very short buffalo grass and run the coil directly on the grass. Can nicking the coil on a sharp object make a hole and allow moisture in?

I don't have a coil cover for my Ace and it takes a beating (accidently of course) and keeps on beeping. I also wind the cable up the entire length of the rod and don't use any tape whatsoever. I only had a problem once with the cable, in that I was getting inundated with beeps all over the place as if I was detecting a scrapyard. I was frustrated and left, thinking something was wrong with the Ace. I came here and was told to tighten the cable at the bottom near the coil. Sure enough, the cable was a little loose and I guess the coil was detecting it. That solved the dilemma once and for all.

J

I wrap my Coil Cord under the Stem.
Over the Stem, Cable Wobble can cause false Signals.

Watch your Sens. settings too.
One Notch too much, and it will act differently.

Swing nice...
No Weed Wacking!!!

I bought a coil cover right away and, after seeing the scrapes and scratches on the cover, I'm glad they weren't on the coil!

I bought a coil cover right away and, after seeing the scrapes and scratches on the cover, I'm glad they weren't on the coil!

Coil covers are so inexpensive, why not protect your coil.....just remember to occasionally pull the cover off and clean.....sometimes gritty dirt finds it's way inside !

HH.......Todd :grin:

Coil covers are so inexpensive, why not protect your coil.....just remember to occasionally pull the cover off and clean.....sometimes gritty dirt finds it's way inside !

HH.......Todd :grin:

I agree coil covers are very cheap insurance. It will also help with the re-sale if I ever upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom