Discrimination settings for lead minie balls

achaios

Forum Supporter
I have a Vaquero. I just picked up a self-published book from a local historian that shows there were about 5 civil war camps and forts within a mile of my house (all around). In fact, Fort Weed and Fort Lyon were two blocks away. There was almost no combat, but the magazine at Fort Lyon blew up in 1863 killing several soldiers, and prompting Abraham Lincoln to come inspect the damage.

In any case, there is every possibility of finding relics in my yard. I don't want to run in all-metal mode, but how close is lead to iron on the descriminate dial?

Thanks,

-- Tom

I've never found a mini ball but, the lead I have found rings from just below a nickel to just below a penny. Hope that helps!?!

If you set the discrimination such that you can pick up a small gold ring, you should be able to detect a lead miniball.

You should be fine to set it to pick up gold and also try a nickel. If they both sound off, your set for bullets. Lead has always shown up on all of my machines as a non-ferrous metal. I have a couple hundred bullets in my collection and they always gave a nice full tone. No chop at all.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom