Inconspicuous wireless solution?

jamiefind

I have reviewed all of the threads related to wireless headphone setups, and there doesn't appear to be any advice out there directly addressing this question: Is there any good option for a wireless earbud setup? (or similar)

I am going to dip my toe in the water of MDing in a public place, and though my activity will be legal I would really like to look as innocuous as possible swinging my detector.

So is there any way to have a wireless ear piece or earbud that doesn't suffer from substantial problems like delay or poor signal?

If the answer is "no," I'd love to know that so I can quit wasting my time searching for a non-existent product. I see that a lot of people like the TDK WR700 wireless on-ear headphones, the Rapoo H3070 wireless on-ear headphones, and the Signstek 0.2W high power FM transmitter setup for wired phones/buds, but the glaring omitted category is a wireless earbud /ear piece.

ALTERNATIVE: If a good wireless earbud solution isn't on the market, the next best thing might be one of those single-ear earbud things (maybe the kind that wraps around the outer ear) with a wire going down to my waist. My waist would have the wireless receiver on it (the 0.2W FM version). This would provide a good signal, negligible delay, and minimum head equipment, and the only drawback would be the one wire from my waist to one ear.

Really hoping to benefit from others' trials and errors here. Thanks in advance!

I have reviewed all of the threads related to wireless headphone setups, and there doesn't appear to be any advice out there directly addressing this question: Is there any good option for a wireless earbud setup? (or similar)

I am going to dip my toe in the water of MDing in a public place, and though my activity will be legal I would really like to look as innocuous as possible swinging my detector.

So is there any way to have a wireless ear piece or earbud that doesn't suffer from substantial problems like delay or poor signal?

If the answer is "no," I'd love to know that so I can quit wasting my time searching for a non-existent product. I see that a lot of people like the TDK WR700 wireless on-ear headphones, the Rapoo H3070 wireless on-ear headphones, and the Signstek 0.2W high power FM transmitter setup for wired phones/buds, but the glaring omitted category is a wireless earbud /ear piece.

ALTERNATIVE: If a good wireless earbud solution isn't on the market, the next best thing might be one of those single-ear earbud things (maybe the kind that wraps around the outer ear) with a wire going down to my waist. My waist would have the wireless receiver on it (the 0.2W FM version). This would provide a good signal, negligible delay, and minimum head equipment, and the only drawback would be the one wire from my waist to one ear.

Really hoping to benefit from others' trials and errors here. Thanks in advance!

I actually did the receiver in the pocket with in ear headphones. I took apart a set of turtle beach wireless headphones and soldered a female jack to the L&R speaker wires made it small enough to fit in my pocket and can adjust volume from there.

I actually did the receiver in the pocket with in ear headphones. I took apart a set of turtle beach wireless headphones and soldered a female jack to the L&R speaker wires made it small enough to fit in my pocket and can adjust volume from there.

Interesting...you basically converted wireless headphones into a wireless receiver with headphone jack. And those are probably operating on 2.4GHz.

I use Bluetooth, little over 4 years now. Think the delay issue is way over blown, subjective at best. Worst case, it's 1 or 2 tenths of a second. We aren't syncing with video here, or playing in a band. All digital audio will have a similar, insignificant delay, it's not just Bluetooth. Metal detecting, the audio stream is very short, and not that complex, Most any digital audio can keep up just fine, meaning we aren't going to see the maximum delay.

If you are truly special, and a tenth of a second really pops for you, might stop off at a music store, or talk to a local band. Couple of beers, you might talk them into loaning you some older monitor equipment. Should be zero lag, since timing is critical. Expensive though...

Bluetooth is fine, and you can get a huge selection of different style receivers. Haven't tried on the detector yet, but picked up a 4.0 transmitter for $14.95 + $3.00 shipping. I did hook it up to the TV, seemed to sync pretty close. Use to surround sound, so the overall audio sounded a little weird, flat. Probably just the difference between stereo and surround sound through speakers. Battery life is suppose to be 5 hours, but as a bonus, it will transmit while charging (external USB battery).

Earbuds with wired down the inside of the shirt to a radio on the belt is the best I can have found. Nothing to get hung up on, no cans on your ears.. Other the blue Tooth I don't think you will find and FM wireless ear bud. Good luck on your quest.

Back
Top Bottom