Enter the Dragon

18kRonin

Forum Supporter

Awhile back attacked a section of beach that I found had opened up.

One of my “forlorn hope” type of hunts :lol: Had to wade into the trash like a mad man :lol: no retreat and no thinking just dig, dig and keep on digging, no silver and few coins. Thought I was wasting my time when in the 4th straight hour at it hit an old Plat Pm900 ring paydirt!!!

The next hunt after three days off, hit it again even harder :lol: no gold or plat but did score a big silver bangle and was starting to get onto lead.

So hit it again the next day. This time getting down to a nice layer of lead, heaps of the stuff that got the heart pumping :lol: literally :lol: finally started to make some headway and got some space to get down even deeper and got a real nice smooth response.
Thought it was junk at first, had a strange coating on it and wasn’t feeling that sharp at the time :lol:
Cleaned it up and found a Pm stamp yeah baby 7.4g of Plat and another oldie :yes:

Had to go back for another hunt the very next day :lol: and started clearing out some the of the big stuff. Got this monster lead signal that I remembered from the past hunts when I tried to dig it out but gave up on it. Not much else to dig where I got that last plat so had another go :lol: took ages to get it out. Turned out to be a diver’s weight belt :lol: Checked the hole real carefully but nothing hiding under it so only place left was an area with a good supply of pull tabs and had another go at thinning it out. Got a silver ring and some small lead so kept at it and yellow!!! a nice fat band of 18K.

Total for the 4 hunts
32 coins
Pm900 ring 3.4g
Pm850 ring 7.4g
18K ring 4.6g
Silver bangle and ring.
And one real happy hunter

Thanks for viewing
HH&GL
:tropical:

All the trash from 16 hours of digging over the 4 hunts.

The lead removed from the trash pic

And weight belt

Last edited:
Always Stunning my friend!! Even your trash is stunning..:shock: The amount you dig you deserve those babies!!

Beautiful finds and pictures as usual G- congrats! Seems like a low coin count for all that hunting- people must not carry a lot of change with them. :?:

You are my HERO, yes for what you find but just as importantly you just keep on digging.
You deserve everything you find...............
I am headed south in Nov. and will think about not giving up.
Anyone in Cabo / San Jose area with a metal detector in Nov. look for the old guy with either an Excalibur or CZ21 maybe we can do a day of hunting.
Gerry

Awesome streak man, conditions like that would haunt me to keep going back too. That 18k is a NICE looking ring, surprised it doesn't weight more...

Holy cr@p! YOU, my friend, are one tenacious hunter!

:digginahole:

R5

Man those are some amazing rings and the rectangle-o-trash is just crazy! That's a ton of junk!!! Congrats on getting the goodies out of that.

WOW! :shock::shock::shock:
Hats off to you, sir!
That's an amazing amount of work and excellent results!
Seriously amazing! :thumbsup: You earned every single gram of that plat and gold!

I'm curious-- what 'opened up' your section of beach? Tide shift? Weather? Did beach maintainers move sand around? I've been detecting for a little while now, but I'm still lacking in experience when it comes to identifying and exploiting changes in beach conditions so I'm always looking for advice. :yes:

Congrats, those rings are quite nice! Great pictures too! :)

Thanks X-Terra :yes:

Always Stunning my friend!! Even your trash is stunning..:shock: The amount you dig you deserve those babies!!

Thanks OBN, didn’t say “I’m not worthy” when I got them :laughing:

Beautiful finds and pictures as usual G- congrats! Seems like a low coin count for all that hunting- people must not carry a lot of change with them. :?:

Thanks George, yeah never been a good beach for clad not many swim there now. But in the day I’m sure it would have been real popular with the locals.
Mainly used for fishing now. Not the best looking beach :lol:

You are my HERO, yes for what you find but just as importantly you just keep on digging.
You deserve everything you find...............
I am headed south in Nov. and will think about not giving up.
Anyone in Cabo / San Jose area with a metal detector in Nov. look for the old guy with either an Excalibur or CZ21 maybe we can do a day of hunting.
Gerry

Thanks Gerry, don’t know how long I can keep doing what I do. My hunting like a mad dog days are numbered :lol: Good luck brother :yes:

Awesome streak man, conditions like that would haunt me to keep going back too. That 18k is a NICE looking ring, surprised it doesn't weight more...

Thanks Zee, when I get onto conditions like that my mind goes YES!!! Body goes Noooooooo!!! :laughing: It’s a real small ring could just get it onto the first knuckle on my pinkie but yeah looks real beefy.

Holy cr@p! YOU, my friend, are one tenacious hunter!

:digginahole:

R5

Thanks Ma8 :yes:

You are an excellent photographer! Even the trash looks great!
Congrats on the precious metals!:yes::yes:

Thanks Metaladdict, apps and software can make anything look good :lol:

Man those are some amazing rings and the rectangle-o-trash is just crazy! That's a ton of junk!!! Congrats on getting the goodies out of that.

Thanks GS, did something to my digging arm after those hunts :lol: it only hurts when I’m not digging :lol:

Wow. That is a lot of trash. You deserve every ring you found.

Thanks Beyonder :yes:

Wow!!! All I have to say.....

Thanks Mudwhale :yes:

WOW! :shock::shock::shock:
Hats off to you, sir!
That's an amazing amount of work and excellent results!
Seriously amazing! :thumbsup: You earned every single gram of that plat and gold!

I'm curious-- what 'opened up' your section of beach? Tide shift? Weather? Did beach maintainers move sand around? I've been detecting for a little while now, but I'm still lacking in experience when it comes to identifying and exploiting changes in beach conditions so I'm always looking for advice. :yes:

Thanks TK, not sure what opened up that section. Hadn’t been there for sometime. So many combinations of things can move sand but the best is constant wave action or current from the same direction with the right set of tides.

When hunting Big Red (first link at the bottom) these conditions lasted for weeks in the same section of beach. Everywhere else was sanded in to the max.

The best tips I got when starting off was “know thy beach” get to know how it changes season to season and what produces the best sand movement and when.
“the sand has to come from somewhere” the whole beach may seem sanded in but if you’re lucky and have a good look around there still could be an area worth spending some time on.
Many a time hunting the trashy dry has been the only option :lol:

With this beach I know it well and could tell what areas had filled in and went looking for where all that sand had come from.

For me I get a good idea from the water temp too. Colder water than usual is a real good sign :yes: in most cases in my area it means there is a good current coming in from out deep and what comes in has to go out dragging sand around with it.

Conditions can change real fast. Once I had spent hours in the water trying to find an area that wasn’t sanded in then see it open up with targets everywhere hunting like crazy in an underwater sand storm then see it close up again and go calm in the space of a couple of hours.

A good example
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=237521

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=212663

Hey 18....those are some beautiful rings....killer finds !!

Thanks jjm :yes:

Last edited:
Lookat THAT junkshot wouldja! That really says a lot about that crazy site and you in particular! :laughing: Nice pic of that 3 ring stack there for the payoff! Great work Ronin!

as always an excellent result! great rings!
I also like fishing trash :D and the diver's belt :shock:

ps: special thanks for the cool sound track

Back
Top Bottom