My First "V" Nickel

Call Me V

So last weekend my friend, K, and I got permission to search an old homestead property that had been setting in the early 1900's. The current house on it was built in the 1950s after the original burnt down. Oh my gosh the site was so trashy. We were told my the landowner we couldn't specifically search the yard because renters lived there but we could hunt the back area out to the fields. We hunted that area and found NOTHING good.

Well we saw the renter out in his yard, introduced ourselves, and asked for his permission. He was more than happy to have us search. It was a small yard and worth a shot, and I'm glad we did. just a few feet in from a hard packed dirt road I got a 12-13 on my Nox and dug down only about 5". Out came this nickel.

The crazy thing is the condition. I did nothing more than give it a brush over with my thumb.

I LOVE this find. It was a great find on my first hunt in almost 9 months. I can't wait until I go back out this weekend.

Attachments

• 61204226858__A27F871F-53A2-4991-BBBD-A8F75BD57FCD.JPG
    61204226858__A27F871F-53A2-4991-BBBD-A8F75BD57FCD.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 61204227827__7139FAAE-1B8E-4A60-B1C2-6AEDA3E9A55A.JPG
    61204227827__7139FAAE-1B8E-4A60-B1C2-6AEDA3E9A55A.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 184
That's totally unfair. Your first V-nickel should have been hosed and corroded and ground kissed like every one of us had to endure. Thus, in order to be fair, please go put that back in the ground for 20 yrs. to get the ground kiss.

I mean, after all, what's fair is fair. You can't skip to the front of the class and get a pristine nice one like that ! :cool3:

That's totally unfair. Your first V-nickel should have been hosed and corroded and ground kissed like every one of us had to endure. Thus, in order to be fair, please go put that back in the ground for 20 yrs. to get the ground kiss.

I mean, after all, what's fair is fair. You can't skip to the front of the class and get a pristine nice one like that ! :cool3:

Hahaha!! I think it was like a gift to make sure I had a great return to hunting.

I almost can't even believe that was dug. Good find!

I can promise you it was. It was a complete surprise to me. I dug a 1939 Jefferson in the same yard and it wasn't in bad shape either. I wonder if it's the very dry dirt that is in the area that kept it so good.

... I wonder if it's the very dry dirt that is in the area that kept it so good.

You all who post in Montana always seem to have the best coins. Mine here in Virginia are usually toasted unless it's silver. I have a V nickel passed down from my Grandmother that doesn't even look as good as the one you dug.

Good to hear from you again! It has been a while.

Ok. You're a trustworthy person. I believe you!! I hope you realize just how awesome condition that is. Wowee!

Here is my V nickel collection: Yours makes mine look quite pitiful! Really great find. You should bezel it and wear it. (Considering your username)

Attachments

• 20200529_121706_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200529_121706_copy_600x800.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 173
Well boy howdy, congratulations to you on that beautiful V nickel. I'm so jealous of your Montana soil, mine always have hard brown crust and two or three even have tiny pimples or blisters. Nicely done!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

That's the best looking dug nickel I have ever seen! :shock: You should go back and bag up that dirt to use for preserving coins!
I think the necklace idea is perfect.

My first was so slick you could not get a date, and that's rare for a V nickel. I think only two I have found you could not get a date. I did make up for it later with a spectacular 1908 with a grey greenish patina. I was stunned at the details left on that coin. That particular coin came out of a very fine sandy soil and doubt I will ever find another in that kind of condition.

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 121
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom