OK. Looking for feedback from anyone who has switched from Garrett AT Pro/max to Nox series.

I have the At pro which I really like and I'm keeping it. I have the Eq 800 and it is a different machine( A new learning experience) Stick with the Nox and learn it, it is a goody in trash!
My pro has the 8by 5 coil.
Nox has 11 dd.
Nox is an upgrade from the pro.

I like that I can adjust the recovery speed on my 800.....

...I think you should add to your arsenal just for the fun of it. That's what I did. Now if i can just figure out that Iron Bias setting.... :lol:

Ditto virtually everything SW said.

I parted with my AT Max after one year of use in favor of an EQ800 and haven’t regretted the change for a moment. Admittedly, I never meshed with the AT Max after loving my Ace 400 - I just never got used to the audio characteristics of the Max. As SW mentioned, I found the Max audio to be surprisingly harsh to the point that obviously good targets still often sounded junky regardless of the level of iron disc I was using. It seems your doing just fine with your AT Max, so the audio probably isn’t as much of an issue for you.

For me, the ability to control the volume and tone quality of iron (or any tone bin) was worth the upgrade to the EQ800 alone. But the EQ800’s recovery speed (and the ability to adjust it) is one of it’s true benefits over the AT Max. The EQ is definitely faster and has a greater capability to unmask targets that the AT Max would literally be blind to seeing due to the proximity of another target. Overall, I think you’ll have the opportunity to find more. Significantly more? That I don’t know.

One of the drawbacks to the EQ series compared to the Garretts is the compressed ID range, especially in the mid-tone region where you might be listening for many of your rings. Lots of targets get condensed down into, say, the 7-18 range, where you are used to listening from say 35-75 on the Max. The EQ attempts to compensate for this with the magic of Multi-IQ, and to a large degree, I think it succeeds. The Multi-IQ really likes round targets, and they can sound very distinct. Still, after over 50 hours of use on my EQ, I haven’t fully gained confidence in my ability to call mid range targets with the compressed ID range.

I made the switch from the Pro to the 600. The Pro is still used by my son and my back up. They are like Night and Day IMO. Now maybe it's my dirt around here but the Nox is finding stuff where the Pro could not. The last silver I found the Barber dime was at 7-8 inches, the slight chirp. I was with my son that day with the AT and it was not picking it up at all, no matter what direction we went over it. The Nox was saying something was their and it was. I also can hit sections of a park here that I could not with the Pro due to power lines. The pro would go crazy. the nox dose not.

I'm looking for people who have made the switch from AT Pro or AT Max to an Equinox 600 or 800, please. I understand the awesomeness of the Nox's, so no need to comment how great they are. Just looking for whether or not MY particular hunt style would even benefit from a change.

Hey all... it's a new year, and I typically grab a new rig to play with, but this year, I'm thinking about staying put with the AT Max.

I was considering moving to the Equinox 800, but given my hunting style (Modern parks and schools with 99% of finds at less than 6"), I'm not sure it'll do anything for me.

I only occasionally hit a beach (maybe once a year), and I typically dry sand hunt (and usually pull a gold or two from the attempts).

My question is this... With the above conditions, is it even WORTH making a switch? Would I even increase my finds?

I'm running the AT Max and use the Wireless Z-Lync with both the supplied covered-ear headphones, and an external module (in the summertime) to use my earbuds. My pinpointer is the Garrett AT (Carrot), and I'm considering upgrading to the AT that is Z-lync.

So... Would I reasonable find more, or more easily with a switch?

Would I be able to discriminate trash out more? (I already dig 2:1 good targets to trash).

Teach me, Master Kenobi.

Skippy

Would love to hear if you made the switch.

Nope, stick with what you've got. I have both machines and given how you're hunting, you have the right machine for the job. Best thing one can do, who is in your position, is get to know the machine better, instead of trying to learn a new one.

Nope, stick with what you've got. I have both machines and given how you're hunting, you have the right machine for the job. Best thing one can do, who is in your position, is get to know the machine better, instead of trying to learn a new one.

+1, I think the AT max is plenty good for your style of hunting there Skippy. Someone said "get out of the 6" strata" which isn't accurate whatsoever. I get deeper than 6" with my Pro and AT Gold consistently, even WITH the 5x8 coil! What are you trying to gain here skip? Depth? Seperatiion? Recovery speed? Multi frequency?

If you want to detect in trashy areas, use the AT Pro with th 5"x8" coil. If you're looking for depth, slap on the 8.5"X11" coil.

But I'm not saying you can 't use the larger coil in trashy areas, though. Here's a colonial shoe buckle I found last week with my larger coil. It was at least 8" down in a spot full of nails. 'nuff said.

Attachments

• DSC01714.jpg
    DSC01714.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 85
I had a handicapped target in my test garden that I like to use as a measuring stick for my detectors. Most of the machines I tested there just averaged the signal and reported a tone and ID that wasn’t in a range that I’d normally dig. Of all the detectors I’ve tested there (including the ATPro), only two machines were able to separate the targets and give a proper tone and ID. Those would be the Deus and the Nox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just out yesterday and had three signals on top of each other. I have an AT Max w/a stock coil and as I ran it over the target I was getting three tones. I had a bottle cap, a pull tab and a Wheat Cent tone all on top of each other. I found all three in the same plug and of course the Wheat cent was the last.

I'm new to this and was surprised that I was able to call the tones before digging(proud of myself). After I pulled the bottle cap out there were only two tones and then one after pulling the pull tab out. It was a learning experience for me and I was pleased that my machine could perform in that way. Not to mention I was able to read it.

Back
Top Bottom