Dry lake bed in Iowa ?

Holy Bleep! Somebody better hustle on out there and check it out!

That place sounds like it might become a detector "magnet" :laughing::laughing::laughing:
drylakegeode2.jpg

Hello,

I'm gonna tell you how we do that over here.

When I read an article like that, all bells gonna ring.

I saw that they gonna dig it and transport it to a dump I guess.

You need to find out when the digging starts, and when they are active, ask the drivers were they gonna dump that sediment.

When u know that, and after a few days when the water is dropped out..

Ask permission and detect that!
90% off all metals will be in that sediment.

Let me know how it did go.

This sir is the cherry on the pie. (If it's an old lake)

Greetings from Holland.
Harald.

Sorry for bad English.

Only a few hours from me but I called around and the guy said it's been crazy with the detectorists out there since they drained the lake. He threw out the number "4000", I'm sure that's exaggeration a bit, but probably a ton of em. He said technically they are only supposed to be detecting the sand area right now until the survey of the lake is complete in 3-4 weeks. But we all know there's likely been more than half of them that didnt go by those rules and pulling the gold out in the water area (where it was). Not gonna waste my gas.

I hunted a location like this about 2 years ago. It was really interesting. A small river got dammed up in like 1860 and created this pond. The ground was not muddy. It was similar to damp beach sand. My buddy got. Slick copper and a silver reale.

will it still be dry next spring? only about 3 hrs from me,
I have relatives down that way near Keokuk.......
Might be a excuse for a visit or vacation :?:

Last edited:
My buddy and two dogs years ago while trout fishing saw a lake that was drained super low, as a lark we decided to explore it. Was not long before we sunk deep in mud, lucky we survived that day.

Back when i lived in iowa 2 or 3 years ago i waded in the swimming beach area of Geode and tried detecting. Very mucky atleast in the beach, expect alot of silt potentially. That said, i doubt its been hit very hard, yes there are detectorists but I also hunted Lake Darling state park when it was drained a few years ago, not many people were out there. I would say give it a try; but wait to detect it all until the survey has been done. A lot of states (including where i now live) ban detecting all together at state parks. Dont ruin a good thing. From my experience dealing with the Iowa DNR officers at the parks; they are very help full/ nice and wont prolong anything, so just shoot a call or email them before you drive out and ask if the survey has been completed.

Back
Top Bottom