Favorite coin/relic to dig

gseuser

Elite Member
1. Indian Head Penny, every time I pull a green coin out of a hole and wipe it to reveal that wreathed ONE CENT staring at me or beautiful lady liberty wearing that headdress of feathers it certainly makes me smile. Don't get me wrong I love finding old silvers but theres something about that IHP.

2. Military Buttons, whenever i'm detecting and a button pops out and you see the shank staring up imaginations of what it could be race through your mind and you turn it over to see an eagle of any kind from any war whether it be a Great Seal or an early Eagle "I" you get a sense of patriotism and a rush of historical understanding.

These are my favorite coin/relic to dig. What are yours?

Cool subject! I get it! I like shotgun shells for some reason...In the woods, a guy sees a big oak tree and says to himself, "That tree is 300yrs old! I know theres shotgun shells out about 20 yards on the SE side!" And sure enough, zing!
I think its because my mind gets a thrill and goes into imagining long ago hunts...

There was a hunter standing right in this exact spot, shooting at a squirrel early in the morning. He had the rising Sun at his back naturally, easing through the forest with an old double barrel damascus with exposed hammers...certainly had a folding knife, possibly a match safe, possibly a pocket watch, possibly a few dimes or pennies even....Anyway, some of those headstamps a guy can figure out the time frame when this event occurred, which adds to the excitement and possibilities of what kind of coins may be found here when he pulled out his knife...So yeah, I feel like I know the guy just by finding a shotgun shell...I like big old trees too...Boy, if they could talk about what they've seen!...and with a detector, they sort of do...

Cool subject! I get it! I like shotgun shells for some reason...In the woods, a guy sees a big oak tree and says to himself, "That tree is 300yrs old! I know theres shotgun shells out about 20 yards on the SE side!" And sure enough, zing!
I think its because my mind gets a thrill and goes into imagining long ago hunts...

There was a hunter standing right in this exact spot, shooting at a squirrel early in the morning. He had the rising Sun at his back naturally, easing through the forest with an old double barrel damascus with exposed hammers...certainly had a folding knife, possibly a match safe, possibly a pocket watch, possibly a few dimes or pennies even....Anyway, some of those headstamps a guy can figure out the time frame when this event occurred, which adds to the excitement and possibilities of what kind of coins may be found here when he pulled out his knife...So yeah, I feel like I know the guy just by finding a shotgun shell...

I too have had thoughts similar to that. Always makes you wonder.

No real favs, but a few I'd like to find.

So......

iu

Anything Revolutionary War. We've dug a few balls that obviously hit something or somebody. Dug a few that definitely had human teeth marks. Always give us a feeling of reverence for those who fought, in those horrid conditions, for our independence.
On the lighter side, love seeing a piece of Spanish silver at the bottom of a hole. Or, a KG, LC with detail.

Love digging the minieballs!

There's just something about those hunks of lead coming out of the ground.

There was a hunter standing right in this exact spot, shooting at a squirrel early in the morning. He had the rising Sun at his back naturally, easing through the forest with an old double barrel damascus with exposed hammers...certainly had a folding knife, possibly a match safe, possibly a pocket watch, possibly a few dimes or pennies even....Anyway, some of those headstamps a guy can figure out the time frame when this event occurred, which adds to the excitement and possibilities of what kind of coins may be found here when he pulled out his knife...So yeah, I feel like I know the guy just by finding a shotgun shell...I like big old trees too...Boy, if they could talk about what they've seen!...and with a detector, they sort of do...

Same with me! I love the old shotgun shells! Mud-puppy said it perfectly.
I may also add (oddly) to a degree, that I like square nails! I like the large square nails and keep the ones that clean up nicely. You know the site is old when you start finding those. Also I like to find ox shoes. An ox was the Ford F150 for hundreds of years. I like finding remnants of those days of hard labor and toils of a hard working OX. I can't come close to imagining the cruelty of the work conditions for those hard working animals suffered through...they were certainly prized animals but were also worked to death. Finds from an era that we don't come close to understanding how pioneer life was really like!

I HATE shotgun shells with every ounce of my being. They are littered everywhere around me. I'll sell you all of mine if you like them hahahaha(warning some get crumpled in my fist as I curse them and cram them in with my iron trash)

I HATE shotgun shells with every ounce of my being. They are littered everywhere around me. I'll sell you all of mine if you like them hahahaha(warning some get crumpled in my fist as I curse them and cram them in with my iron trash)

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :lol:

I'm about the same, add in brass shell casings and lead.

If I'm told it's a nickle, that's what I want to find :D

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :lol:

I'm about the same, add in brass shell casings and lead.

If I'm told it's a nickel, that's what I want to find :D

How I really feel requires language not appropriate for the forum hahaha. Yeah theres plenty of casings and lead here too. All i can think is it might be another button, or nickel, or gold. Alas 90 percent of the time it is those dang shotgun shells.

I love the Indian Head Penny. As a very young kid Many Many years ago my brother and I would sift the dirt under the front porch of the old house we lived in finding indian head pennies. Unfortunately I have only found to of them. Next on my list is any silver coin.

Back
Top Bottom