Minelab Explorer II worth it?

Actually, I've been hearing that the Excelerator coils are made in Germany by Detech. They seem to be pretty highly regarded when used on Whites detectors. In fact, I've read many posts where they claim a significant increase in both depth & coverage. The fact that they're sold by K'co doesn't mean they're automatically garbage; if that were the case, they also sell Minelab, Fisher, Garrett, etc. hmmm. Granted, they do seem to engage in some unsavory business practices (they sell LRL's to the gullible), but they do sell a whole whack of stuff and can get those volume sales for a company that wants to get a foothold in the N. American market. Even well established companies will do special deals with them (Garrett, Whites, Discovery). ...Willy.

Willy said:
Actually, I've been hearing that the Excelerator coils are made in Germany by Detech. They seem to be pretty highly regarded when used on Whites detectors. In fact, I've read many posts where they claim a significant increase in both depth & coverage. The fact that they're sold by K'co doesn't mean they're automatically garbage; if that were the case, they also sell Minelab, Fisher, Garrett, etc. hmmm. Granted, they do seem to engage in some unsavory business practices (they sell LRL's to the gullible), but they do sell a whole whack of stuff and can get those volume sales for a company that wants to get a foothold in the N. American market. Even well established companies will do special deals with them (Garrett, Whites, Discovery). ...Willy.
In Germany all think otherwise:
ofaghw.jpg
:?:

Coils are made in Eastern Europe and I think Bulgaria is correct. They are still sold as Detech. I have the Detech 14 inch. The newer ones seem to be slightly more sensitive and come with a coil cover and (over here) a genuine Minelab lower shaft. Older coils can't be fitted with a cover as it won't click on.
All seem excellent on the Sovereign models but not so hot on the Explorer and I would avoid all 5" ones unless you try before you buy. Work fine in the dry but if the grounds wet with rain or dew it sounds off as though there's a problem with the faraday shield.
Re the U.K. Explorer price Alan, the original Explorer sold to U.K. dealers at around £450 and they boosted it to £900. I need a new lower shaft for my SunRay 12" coil but I could buy that from Tony C.T. at half the U.K. price though if he sent it to me he would probably find he would not be able to sell any more Minelabs.

Brian said:
I need a new lower shaft for my SunRay 12" coil
but I could buy that from Tony C.T. at half the U.K. price though
if he sent it to me he would probably find he would not be able to
sell any more Minelabs.

There was one very good detector retailer that I used to use a lot.
He packed up a few years ago, because of the pressure put on him
by the manufacturers, telling hime what price he had to sell the
machines at.

Hello,
my husband uses the Explorer 2 and loves it! I agree with Joe in that you can get use to the pinpointing, but it takes a bit of practice. It's a deep machine and does well at the beach in salt conditions. It's also great on the gold fields, where there's a lot of trash. But there is a bit of a learning curb with it, and I suggest than anyone aquiring it, to buy Andy's book on the Explorer.
Angela :grin:

11 yr old thread funny. Detech did change there sales strategy and today a lot of independent dealers carry there products. I stock them for Whites and Minelab in the shop. HH phil

Yes, the Explorers are no lightweights. Me being 6'2" and 225 lbs makes it a bit easier to swing one. A harness makes them light as a feather.

The hunters in my area curse the day I bought my Exp II.

In regards to the minelab. I've used it for quite sometime now. Last year I was hunting in my backyard and found a 14k gold ring using the ex2. I like the idea of it having 28 frequencies. I would buy any of minelabs products. On a scale of 1 to 10 this detector is a 10.

Back
Top Bottom