Metal detectors and lightning?

sandgroper

Elite Member
Does lightning harm/affect the performance of metal detectors? Just wondering because I really want to go back to a newly discovered site tomorrow, but we've got storms and rain on the forecast.

I won't be out in a field or on a beach, so I won't be a 'lightning rod', I think if I stay under the trees I'll be fine :D

Last edited:
More than once, I've been out hunting before,
& caught by approaching thunderstorms,
with lightning a ways off, perhaps 10 miles :?:
seeing the flash in the clouds and hearing my headphones with a static crackle.
That's when it's time to shut the machine down seek shelter and take a break.
(and not under or near a tree or tall structure)

Nothing to worry about! Lightening has not once ever hit a Detectorist!...The 'field' emanating from the coil acts like some sort of safety bubble...creates a 'safety zone' all around a Detectorist., Like a little invisible Faraday cage....I'm not a scientist, just a personal theory...

I've never heard of a Detectorist getting knocked out of their shoes and have their kneepads go flying off in a cloud of burnt coins and blue puff of headphone components?....Anybody?

I think we are safe from lightening..either totally invisible or considered off limits, or a protected species in the cosmos of 'outdoor human timewasters'.......

Golfers, Soccer players, Fishermen on the other hand..yeah, they better run! They have it seriously coming!:laughing:

Shirley,

Nothing to worry about! Lightening has not once ever hit a Detectorist!...The 'field' emanating from the coil acts like some sort of safety bubble...creates a 'safety zone' all around a Detectorist., Like a little invisible Faraday cage....I'm not a scientist, just a personal theory...

I've never heard of a Detectorist getting knocked out of their shoes and have their kneepads go flying off in a cloud of burnt coins and blue puff of headphone components?....Anybody?

I think we are safe from lightening..either totally invisible or considered off limits, or a protected species in the cosmos of 'outdoor human timewasters'.......

Golfers, Soccer players, Fishermen on the other hand..yeah, they better run! They have it seriously coming!:laughing:

You Jest!

You Jest!

Well? I've never heard of a Detectorist getting lightening struck...Theres lots of lightening in Florida, lots of Detectorists too...so how come we get a pass? Some larger forces at play here...worth a Govt Study even?.

Sure, we can hear lightening zipping through the phones a long way off, but we are not likely to leave a hot cut for any reason...not even bull sharks take a nibble out of the guys hunting night in the feed trough! We are ignored by dangerous thingys, I cant remember any one of us ever getting bit by a snake either? Or a bear?.......Its got to do with the coil field is all I can attribute this anomaly to..

I think we are pretty much good to go, do what we please in any kind of weather or danger, thanks to the coil or something....

I remember being out one day when a storm brew up quickly and of course I had a GREAT signal with the AT Pro/ storm coil. I was determined to get to that target until I saw a bright flash, the Pro made a loud crack in my ears and my hair stood up! Needless to say I hightailed it to the car!

I remember being out one day when a storm brew up quickly and of course I had a GREAT signal with the AT Pro/ storm coil. I was determined to get to that target until I saw a bright flash, the Pro made a loud crack in my ears and my hair stood up! Needless to say I hightailed it to the car!

I've come home soaking wet a couple times just couldn't stop pounding clad quarters , I catch myself checking the radar and heading away from it for a quick hunt before I get shut down justbto scratch the itch.

Lightning storms generally do not last long. It's best advised to take a break .
Get a cup of coffee and a sammach . Unpack your rain gear and make a plan for when it passes . Look at the radar .. often a 20 min drive north or south or even dead into it will put you in the clear.
Be safe.

:twister::windy:
It's a good thing you weren't using the "Tornado" coil
:laughing:

I don't know about that Mud........
Did you hear about old Bob Kromer!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nope Tab, never heard of Old Bob Kromer.....So I Googled 'Bob Kromer Lightening Strike"...nearest I can tell, he was a fisherman and/or flew a Mooney...nothing to do with metal detecting...Proves my theory...He had it coming...:laughing:

Nope Tab, never heard of Old Bob Kromer.....So I Googled 'Bob Kromer Lightening Strike"...nearest I can tell, he was a fisherman and/or flew a Mooney...nothing to do with metal detecting...Proves my theory...He had it coming...:laughing:

Don't forget the "Human Lightning Rod" Roy Sullivan (a Forest Ranger)
Maybe one or more of the seven times of getting struck by lightning
he was taking shelter under a tree??
AND TREES AREN'T so FRIENDLY .......right mud? :laughing:

Don't forget the "Human Lightning Rod" Roy Sullivan (a Forest Ranger)
Maybe one or more of the seven times of getting struck by lightning
he was taking shelter under a tree??
AND TREES AREN'T so FRIENDLY .......right mud? :laughing:

See? Heres a real dummy, not a detectorist..but a Forest Ranger of all worthless occupations!! Out wandering around in the woods on the Govt tab? Nice Gov truck, snappy uniform, badge, authority...He's Hit seven times by lightening with no ill effects?! No Cosmic Justice!! I'd take that freaking deal!! I got electrocuted half a dozen times and pist my pants just doing my job fixing things, and nobody gave me a medal or said dink about that!

I wish this guy had gotten blown up like an Oscar Meyer 480v hotdog fuse...just to lend some perspective...Trees are not our friends an a lot of levels...We Humans have been at war with them for a long time...so why trust them for protection during a lightening storm? Stupid Forest Rangers, got hit 7 times hiding under a tree? Yeah? Here, pull my finger again you damn dummy!

Anybody spending anytime in the woods knows all Trees are out to kill us, especially during a storm...this dummy just got lucky and lived to tell about it.....7 freaking times!

I've noticed that heavy cloud cover seems to intensify EMI. I believe that the EMI is being reflected off of the cloud cover and back at you rather than keep going out into outer space.

beephead

I got the name wrong.....

There was a bit about lightening on season 1 or 2 on detectorists.

Something about all the best finds coming right before a thunderstorm.

Very off subject... but this reminds me of an English spelling exam in 6th grade. The word was "lightning" The teacher gave no sentence or definition. I wrote "Lightening" When i received the exam back, it said Lightening was not a word and it was marked incorrect.

Lightning refers to an abrupt, discontinuous natural electric discharge in the atmosphere—i.e., the flash of light associated with thunder.

Lightening is a present participle corresponding to the verb lighten, where to lighten is to make light or lighter. For example, we might say that a person who has been losing weight is lightening, or that an aging man’s hair is lightening to gray.

I was right. Funny how you never forget when you were right and the teacher was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom