Bucket Lister - First Barber Dime! Yay!

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
Temps were up in the mid-upper 40's again today, and despite a little drizzle, I had to get out. I went to a private park permission that I've found some good coins on previous visits. I got there kind of late in the day, so I only had about an hour and a half to explore.

Was trying out the Legend with another coin program I saw online. (Field Mode, all metal, 4 tone, set up - turned out I did not like this program too much).

Anyway, I started in the usual area of the park where I have found wheats, silver and buffaloes. This is the old area of the park, with lots of original early 1900 era buildings around. I found a few pennies in this area, but nothing old. I spent most of my time grinding out this area, and it just wasn't happening.

So, with about 30 minutes left, I went to the opposite end of the park, near one of the main buildings. This is the newer area of the park in terms of buildings, with them constructed in the last 50 years.

I switched my Legend to Park, SF 4khz mode, and a few other tweaks, and began searching this area. Within a couple minutes I hit a 1953 wheatie, followed by a 1947 Canadian penny, the another '53 wheatie, and another '62 Canadian penny. So, I felt like my luck had changed really good in less than 15 minutes. I'm running out of time, and saying to myself that I've found silver in the park before, so there's a good chance there is more to be had, and wouldn't it be great if I could end this day with something silver. I talk to my departed mom and dad while walking, and today, it was like a lightning strike. I am swinging the coil up by the edge of the parking lot, maybe 10 feet from the edge, and about 30 feet from where I found the wheats. Near a pine tree, I get a signal that is sketchy 45 - not solid, and dropping in and out as I rotated the coil around the spot. I say, ok, let's take a look. I start scooping out dirt, and after about the third good scoop, I see something out of the hole and partially covered, but it looks silver to me. Pluck it out, and do a double take, and then say a nice thank you to Sweet Baby Jesus, mom and dad for helping me find my first Barber Dime. It's a 1905S, and in really nice shape. It looked great with just a quick wipe of dirt off of it, and a short rinse at home, and it's a looker. So excited to get a Barber!
A couple pics of the Barber, plus the his and her Canadians, and the two 1953 wheats!

Attachments

• 1905S Barber Dime in Hole 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S Barber Dime in Hole 25 Nov 22.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 1905S barber Dime in Dirt 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S barber Dime in Dirt 25 Nov 22.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 1905S Barber Dime Location 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S Barber Dime Location 25 Nov 22.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1947 1962 Canadian Pennies Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1947 1962 Canadian Pennies Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1953 Wheats Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1953 Wheats Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 1905S Barber Dime Front Cleaned 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S Barber Dime Front Cleaned 25 Nov 22.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 1905S Barber Dime Back Cleaned 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S Barber Dime Back Cleaned 25 Nov 22.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 148
  • 1905S Barber Dime Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    1905S Barber Dime Front 25 Nov 22.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 144
Congratulations on a great find, Flood! That is a beautiful example also!

Cool that you could get that one behind you, as the winter season is setting in. I tried to dig a shallow target on Wednesday and too frozen.

You have done very well this year and also the hunts with your new machine. Good job!

Congratulations on a great find, Flood! That is a beautiful example also!

Cool that you could get that one behind you, as the winter season is setting in. I tried to dig a shallow target on Wednesday and too frozen.

You have done very well this year and also the hunts with your new machine. Good job!

Every day that it’s still weather ok to get out, I want to give it a try. I’ve had some pretty good fortune this year. I hope next year turns out as good, or better. Thanks

Congrats on your first Barber dime, first of many I hope with some more big and mediums mixed in. Good job on the wheats as well. Good luck. Mark

Nice to see it when perseverance pays off. I'm sure this is just the first of many barbers to come!

Congrats on your first Barber dime, first of many I hope with some more big and mediums mixed in. Good job on the wheats as well. Good luck. Mark

You are now a member of the exclusive and elite : "barber dime club" :cool3: Great fresh-reveal shots.

I remember my first barber dime. I honestly didn't think I would ever dig one in my part of the world. And just like you, the excitement was incredible. Since then, I have dug a dozen or so more and every one is a reminder of a person who stood in that spot 100 years prior and somehow dropped a coin that had real purchasing power in their day. Now that you know they actually exist to be found, I am sure more will follow. Congrats on a great find!

Congratulations on the Barber, Flood. Looks like a lot of ground to cover, so probably a few more goodies hiding there.

Back
Top Bottom