gold Ring #1

Jadomi77

14k gold ring found in the playground of the school across the street from my house.

im not sure about the earing. how does one tell if something is real or not?

Attachments

• gold ring.jpg
    gold ring.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 106
Well, they are both real.
One is a real ear stud and the other is a real ring.
Now if you are asking how do you know if an object is precious metal then testing is the only true way.
A few ways to do this.
There are expensive machines that can do it but usually only some jewelry and other big precious metal buying companies, use them.
Most of us use acid tests around here which can be found online and at some metal detecting shops.
Most kits have acids that can test from 10k up to 22k, 24k jewelry is very rare but if you do find some you can usually tell because it is usually very soft and pliable and has an extra cool soft buttery apperance...like this ring I found.
Tested great up to 22k and I am positive it is 24k because the prongs move a bit to easily and look at its appearance and color.

photostudio_1593801672748.jpg

Some test kits have silver testing acid too but I know a guy that buys gold and silver and he says nobody in that industry uses silver testing acid because results are too spotty and sometimes wrong.
Instead they use the 18k gold acid.
On silver scratches on a testing stone or on the piece itself if you use a file to get in there a bit past any plating this acid turns blue which is a much more accurate result.

On that ring...
Great if it is gold but the picture concerns me.
Are those dark spots on the side and the top of the band just shadows or are they on the ring itself?
If it is marked 14k and there are no dark spots, which is actually a thin gold plating that was rubbed off leaving the non precious base metal exposed, then you got gold, man, so congrats!
If the dark spots are on the ring then mark or no mark it is still a real ring but fake gold.
There is actually a lot more of this type of jewelry out there than any of us would like but just something we learn to deal with in this hobby.
Hope it's the real kind, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom