Celebrate good times!

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
Worked the water line zig zagging as the waves came in. Wasn't finding much but got a choppy 11-12. There was a couple nearby watching curiously as I tossed sand up the slope a bit. They walked up and surprise to everyone especially me (been awhile!) it was a gold ring. I'm not one for public celebrations and they were foreigners and didn't speak English. But apparently they know what gold is because we all celebrated together [emoji4][emoji3060] was a fun moment.

Celebrate the good hunts! Happy hunting PXL_20211007_232113661.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

You are lucky they didn't go get someone and say it was theirs... if they did they would be celebrating even more... :yes: I never dig targets in front of others...

:dingding: Nice!
I never dig targets in front of others...
Even though we disagree on pennies I agree with Craig on this one. At least try to be discreet and attempt that no one sees you. :yes:

What you guys don't realize is if there is any kind of decent weather out , there are people. Summertime is crazy with lookie loos. It's not easy sometimes hiding your finds. What works for me is picking up my target with the scoop and then immediately palm it , then put it in my bag. Even then , you have some ask what you found. I say a piece of trash or a penny. RRF is a very good hunter. But we have our debates on the use of a pinpointer. Let's just say he is a master on it's use. It works for him. Myself , I don't use one. He may have me beat on the gold this year though....

:dingding: Nice!

Even though we disagree on pennies I agree with Craig on this one. At least try to be discreet and attempt that no one sees you. :yes:
Yep. With rare exception the target is pulled and immediately put in the pouch. No need to attract attention. This was a rare exception.

Real rat-fink : Fun story !

You are lucky they didn't go get someone and say it was theirs... ...

Craig, can you cite any incident(s) of this actually happening ? :?:

At what point (of extreme rareness) do we classify that as a "fluke" ? Because when you say that rat-fink was "lucky" that this didn't happen, it's as if : To imply that this is "common place" and "to be expected", etc....

But ... while .... sure "anything's possible" (you might get mugged , etc...), yet at a certain point, I think it's ok to not-think the worst of passerbys . And still be safe. I can not think of any incidents of this actually happening.

Someone might have posted about this supposed series of events , but .... seriously .... at what point can we classify that as a fluke, and not a norm ? Because, think of it : If someone(s) were THAT hell-bent on stealing our gold rings, then : They could simply log on to md'ing show & tell forums. Watch for people who post pix, and simply say "That's mine". Yet ... of course, this is not happening.

Thus : Nor do I think casual passerbys are "roaming the beach" waiting to pull a fast one on md'rs who find gold rings. If someone thinks that's not practicing enough caution, then : I'm all ears to hear of the instances of this ever/actually happening. And .... I'll bet we'll be hard-pressed to assemble any sort of list.

Real rat-fink : Fun story !

Craig, can you cite any incident(s) of this actually happening ? :?:

At what point (of extreme rareness) do we classify that as a "fluke" ? Because when you say that rat-fink was "lucky" that this didn't happen, it's as if : To imply that this is "common place" and "to be expected", etc....

But ... while .... sure "anything's possible" (you might get mugged , etc...), yet at a certain point, I think it's ok to not-think the worst of passerbys . And still be safe. I can not think of any incidents of this actually happening.

Someone might have posted about this supposed series of events , but .... seriously .... at what point can we classify that as a fluke, and not a norm ? Because, think of it : If someone(s) were THAT hell-bent on stealing our gold rings, then : They could simply log on to md'ing show & tell forums. Watch for people who post pix, and simply say "That's mine". Yet ... of course, this is not happening.

Thus : Nor do I think casual passerbys are "roaming the beach" waiting to pull a fast one on md'rs who find gold rings. If someone thinks that's not practicing enough caution, then : I'm all ears to hear of the instances of this ever/actually happening. And .... I'll bet we'll be hard-pressed to assemble any sort of list.

Tom... yes I can happened to a friend... want him to come here and place his hand on the bible?

The only thing I read was your first short sentence... the other stuff is drivel and not worth my time...

:roll:

Yep. With rare exception the target is pulled and immediately put in the pouch. No need to attract attention. This was a rare exception.

When I cover the holes I've dug I often exaggerate my movements with my body. This does 2 things - it lets people know that I care about not leaving unsightly and hazardous conditions around but at the same time diverts anyone's attention to the wet sand while I discreetly slip my finds into my pouch.
RRF - congrats on the gold! :yes: We all get caught finding something good once in a while. I feel it was meant to be. You may have had a bigger impact on those people than you'll ever know.

Great ! Now we have a list. A list of "all one of them". :roll:

I posted to Rat about what happened to my friend... where he showed the ring to a couple on the beach and they went and found a beach employee who then called the police and the police made him hand the ring over...

So get over your it only happened to one person... you have no clue how many times it can happen....

Sorry Rat for these replies... I didn't expect the opinionator in chief who specializes on permission do's and don'ts and such to interject here...

In years past I've probably had maybe 15 people nearby who (I think jokingly) claim a ring I just dug up. Then I would tell them to describe what it says inside. They couldn't and I would turn and keep hunting. Only about 8 years ago I figured out to Palm my finds around people so they couldn't see.

congrats on the yellow. like was said it does seem more rare lately. Along the lines of the current discussion lol I've many people be much more proactive... "when you find my rolex let me know-ok?" and most recently "please call me when you find my emerald and diamond ring ":laughing:

correct. That's why we count.

Thanks ruining the celebration post :laughing:

I doubt it happens very often. However, if it did happen I would be glad to give it back. But they better have solid proof! A photo of the ring or any details inside the band, and description. I'm not a pirate or robin hood!

Gigmaster had this happen to him recently and he gladly returned it. (a couple of episodes back). The guy had solid proof.

Imagine if your wife dropped her ring and some other lady immediately picks it up. Your wife would ask for it back, you would EXPECT she would give it back. Otherwise it's stealing. I may be one of the few detectorists that realize the things I find do not belong to me. Actually, I think most of us would do the right thing. I did not pay for it. Only once I do my due diligence to find the owner do I claim the item as truly lost and I am the recipient.

Congrats on the gold. About 25 years ago I found my first gold ring at Daytona Beach. I was so excited I showed it to everyone who asked if I was having any luck. Now I just say a few coins.

Back
Top Bottom