does anybody ride a bike to go metal detecting?

edd

Pending Member
i been riding a bike to go metal detecting,and i been able to find spots where people who drive wouldnt be able to go.,one time somone saw my metal detector sticking out my back pack and called the cops on me and said i had a gun.The cops asked to search my back pack and i told them i had beer in it and he said he didnt care about the beer he was releived i only had a detector ,He was embarrased and apoligised for checking my pack ,Now the cops wave at me when they see me and now im getting known as the metal detector guy by the cops and thats a good thing when you travel on bike.2 months ago the cops swarmed a field i was on,i detect at night,someone called them and said there was a drunk guy in the field that cant stand and keeps falling.Im so used to this happening that now i have the same speech i make,im metal detecting and i tell them about my finds and they tell me to keep doing what im doing!those are the good ones,im not going to bring up when i had to ditch the detector and run from one cop when he wanted to keep my detector because i was drinking a beer while metal detecting,im glad the cop didnt want to get wet when i swam the river!:shock:it was a cheaper metal detector i lost that day but then i upgraded to the now extinct xlt!

Well, you got me started.:lol: The only way to go! First of all, make sure you watch the sides of the road while riding. I have found things like a new hammer, many screwdrivers, tackle boxes(full!), jewelry, cash,(even found a wallet with no ID and $100 bill in it. Strange you you mention the police-I at one time was harrassed by the police for using my van (thought I was a transient) but the bicycle stopped all that-plus I could park on the playground and no one could see an auto there. Not to mention the health benefits. My favorite remembrance was finding a wallet with the address and knowing the town I went straight to the house. Turned out he was at a bass tournament and had left his wallet on the side of the boat before leaving. He DROVE me and my bike back the 13 miles to the house and gave me $20 which I tried to refuse until he convinced me it cost him over $100 the last time he did it to get all the credit cards stopped, etc.

My KLR 650 will be taking me back into the forgotten places. Does that count? :lol:

This is my plan this summer. I need to do some work on my mountain bike.. I was even thinking about getting one of those bike trailers so i don't have to fuss with breaking down my MD etc. Can throw a cooler etc in there.

I thought you all were talking about motorcycles. I put mine in the saddle bags and go everywhere.

Great thought!

I'm very interested in how to take all the needed stuff with you, espacialy detector and bigger shovel. And i don't like to take apart my md each time because it suffers a lot from that.
Pics anyone?

Great thought!

I'm very interested in how to take all the needed stuff with you, espacialy detector and bigger shovel. And i don't like to take apart my md each time because it suffers a lot from that.
Pics anyone?

Panniers are one way to carry lots of gear on a bike. Ortlieb makes some of the best.

That said a trailer would be better. Lots of options here. For Mountain biking, single track there is the BoB Ibex. It's a single wheeled trailer made to go off road. For the rest of us, BoB also makes a road version of it's trailer, the Yak. Two wheeled trailers are made by a number of companies, with Burley being a name that is respected. All these trailers sell in the $300 to $400 range. All can be found less expensivley selling on CL. One wheel versus two, an endless vanilla chocolate debate.

I usto bike to all sorts of off the beaten path spots with a detector folded down in two pieces in my backpack, made some good finds that way to.

Bikes are good stuff!!! My kids and I are into bike riding big time. Road, mountain, and touring.

Last time I went mountain biking with my two adult sons we came to a picnic table about ten miles into the course. At the table was a father and his two adult sons. His sons looked like mine, like they hadn't started riding yet. He, on the other hand, looked like me. Dirty and bleeding!!!!

Next big ride together is the Tour de Springs, a 5 day 250 mile loop of Florida's state parks taking in the springs. We'll start from just south of JAX and loop it out from there using a course set out by another bike rider.

Before that i'm doing some Eastern Shore De/Md touring. Starting from my home just outside of Philly, down to Cape May, and then crossing to the Delmarva.

Seems like a good idea :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 287
Back
Top Bottom