Who else here metal detects with a disability?

I’m currently (hopefully temporary) included here. I’m recovering from an abscess removal on my upper leg area. I can only walk or even sit for short periods.

It’s hard to not detect because that’s my go to stress relief (don’t help the pain)

I’ve only got a hand digger and an 18” Sampson. What I do is push the shovel in and have my kids find the treasure lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got overexposed to pesticide about 7 yrs ago. Developed multiple chemical sensitivity. Fragrances can close my airway. Muuuuch better now but 5 yrs ago was homebound. Now I can go almost anywhere tho things like dryer sheets can really be repulsive. At least now I can go in public out to dinner or church. Along with that two rebuilt shoulders, bad knees, and the usual creeakiness of aging.

I got shot in the chest. 9mm from a few feet away. Bullet went right through the right side of my chest and punctured my lung. They ended up putting two chest tubes in me (which hurt worse than getting shot believe it or not) and I was in the ICU for 14 days. I ended up with 1 functional lung and one that's just kinda there. I am continuously out of breath and even picking up my 7 month old daughter is enough to cause me shortness of breath. Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies I CAN do that let's me get out n about and still enjoy. I also have 3 compressed discs in my spine, one of which is fractured. Bending, kneeling and standing for too long hurts but I've had that issue for years so I dont really notice anymore unless the wife and I are out for an entire day lol. I'm still learning to get used to having one lung, I got shot almost 2 years ago and it still affects me each and every day. I sure have a new found respect for 9mm tho haha I was always a .40 cal guy, but lemme tell ya, 9mm does the job just as effective. Just glad I can still get out there and hunt!

I got shot in the chest. 9mm from a few feet away. Bullet went right through the right side of my chest and punctured my lung. They ended up putting two chest tubes in me (which hurt worse than getting shot believe it or not) and I was in the ICU for 14 days. I ended up with 1 functional lung and one that's just kinda there. I am continuously out of breath and even picking up my 7 month old daughter is enough to cause me shortness of breath. Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies I CAN do that let's me get out n about and still enjoy. I also have 3 compressed discs in my spine, one of which is fractured. Bending, kneeling and standing for too long hurts but I've had that issue for years so I dont really notice anymore unless the wife and I are out for an entire day lol. I'm still learning to get used to having one lung, I got shot almost 2 years ago and it still affects me each and every day. I sure have a new found respect for 9mm tho haha I was always a .40 cal guy, but lemme tell ya, 9mm does the job just as effective. Just glad I can still get out there and hunt!

OMG:shock: I have a 9mm and I can't imagine being shot close range like that. You are great inspiration for others with a similar experience.

OMG:shock: I have a 9mm and I can't imagine being shot close range like that. You are great inspiration for others with a similar experience.

thanks... not really an Inspiration tho. There's all kinds of things I'd like to be an inspiration for, but something that happened to me that I just had to survive...... cant really claim that fame.... most the time people who meet me, they'd never know I had these issues lol I hide them well, but they're there.... I just refuse to be defined by them... but I also make it a point to try to help anyone who's ever been through something similar.

I have so much stuff wrong with my back it isn't funny. I also had 2 surgeries on my left dominant arm just to get use out of it. My neck has 3 vertebrae screwed up and my lower back has 4 bad and one on it's way out. Fusion is not a option at this point as it will just cause more to deteriorate so I am now waiting for a opening at Emory university mechanical pain management to see if I am a candidate for a dual stimulator implant for pain. I will not do pills any longer. Detecting is my personal therapy but I can not last as long as I could just a year ago.

the simple fact that you are still with us must make you feel blessed! ..god's grace!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have 2 bulging discs in my neck and something called cervical spinal stenosis. Basically it is where the spinal column is narrowing, and as it does, it hits the nerves on the spinal cord. When I aggravate it, my left arm becomes almost useless and it is very painful. It gets so bad I can't open a car door with my left arm. Sometimes it lasts a few days, but the longest it has lasted has been about 6 weeks. I have done the steroid packs, physical therapy, and exercises - not much helps. Can't take prescription pain meds because of my job, so tylenol and ibuprofen are my friends when I have an "episode". Most of the time it is fine, but when it isn't it really sucks. Surgery is the answer, but frankly I am a little nervous about doing it. Only 51, and I don't want to end up worse than I am.

I had to have surgery in my neck due to bad discs at two levels and one level in my lower back. I was at the point that if I had not had surgery I would have not been able to function. It has been a number of years and I am in far better condition than I was before surgery A good neuro surgeon can do wonders.

I had developed sciatica in my leg when I went out detecting, made it painful and not much fun. I changed my diet and dropped 40 lbs. Worked wonders. Happy to say that at almost 60 y.o. I’m not taking even a single prescription medicine either.

I had to have surgery in my neck due to bad discs at two levels and one level in my lower back. I was at the point that if I had not had surgery I would have not been able to function. It has been a number of years and I am in far better condition than I was before surgery A good neuro surgeon can do wonders.
Exact same for me here. But I still have nerve damage in my hands , stemming from my neck. It may never heal. No one knows. Unbeknownst to me , I was a walking paralysis dude ! One slip , hit , fall or other bad move and I could be in a wheelchair for life. I'm still overly cautious on many things , particularly driving.

For those contemplating surgery I say do it. You may not be a whole lot better after surgery. But you won't be worse. It helped tremendously for me. I am still in pain 24/7. There are others worse off than me. Count your blessings and be grateful. Life is a gamble , there are no guarantees. Best to all...

Reading about the pain and troubles you guys all have to deal with makes me realize even more how fortunate I've been. I'm going to be 74 in March and I have no physical ailments to deal with. I still get around with no problem. I've had two hernia surgeries (2007 and 2012) but those were a piece of cake and have had no effect on my well being. I'm hoping my luck will continue but I'm well aware that at my age a person can go downhill suddenly and without warning.

Was thinking about this the other day, I have one of those “not obvious” disabilities myself. Anyone else and want to share?
I’ll start with mine, I can’t kneel, also nerve issues in same left leg and arm both damaged return nerves. I try to dig a little bigger little deeper plug and will bend down and see if it’s a easy pinpoint and grab. If it seems it will be a challenge target I have a funny way to kinda get to my butt without using my knees. Left knee had half the connecting tissue cut off the knee cap to have it sit more correctly and if I run into something or if I kneel I’ll dislocate the knee cap then it swells etc. I usually just adapt when getting to the ground or even getting up off the ground without using the knee method.
And I guess I could say it was a trade off, lifetime restrictions for a knee that doesn’t want to constantly buckle under me and all. The nerve issue was a “slight chance can happen” well yea I shoulda bought a lottery ticket too.
I’m just getting into detecting a lot more since I have more free time now, beach runs have been fun but also hit and miss, almost a full skunk last two trips.
I’m slowly working a local park now and I think someone has cleaned it of silver lol.
But I know I can’t be the only one here with a disability and won’t give up on detecting.
Gimpy detectorists unite :laughing:

Me. I've got several things going on. Neuropathy with the feet, hyperthyroidism causing Arterial Fibrillation (making it difficult to breath when the heart is skipping), tremors in my right hand, torso and both legs (makes for eating sushi, a dang nightmare...)

I can only detect now, on "good days," and not for more than about 75 minutes, before I just can't go on... Bad days, I can't walk...

At least the Handicap sticker gets me closer the park entrance...

Skippy

Well let’s see, I have Myasthenia gravis, a neurological autoimmune disease that is similar to MS. The primary symptom is muscle weakness and chronic fatigue. I use smaller coils and hip mount boxes to minimize weight. I also have COPD and macular degeneration so that I have vision loss and depth perception problems. Arthritis on both sides of my neck and occasional sciatic problems.

Each morning I take 19 pills (18 different meds) 2 inhalers a shot of insulin and eye drops. At night 8 pills (7 meds), inhaler and another shot of insulin.
Every moth I get an infusion of antibodies and every 3 months 2 injections into both eyes.

I’ve had a number of eye surgeries and emergency hospital visits.

And I was denied SS disability benefits even though I had worked 46 years, 32 as management for AT&T with a spotless record including never calling sick. I made our Presidents Club 9 out of 15 years when most never made it once.
But I drew a judge with a 92% denial rate and was shot down.

However I go hunting almost every day. I love it.

Well let’s see, I have Myasthenia gravis, a neurological autoimmune disease that is similar to MS. The primary symptom is muscle weakness and chronic fatigue. I use smaller coils and hip mount boxes to minimize weight. I also have COPD and macular degeneration so that I have vision loss and depth perception problems. Arthritis on both sides of my neck and occasional sciatic problems.

Each morning I take 19 pills (18 different meds) 2 inhalers a shot of insulin and eye drops. At night 8 pills (7 meds), inhaler and another shot of insulin.
Every moth I get an infusion of antibodies and every 3 months 2 injections into both eyes.

And I was denied SS disability benefits even though I had worked 46 years, 32 as management for AT&T with a spotless record including never calling sick. I made our Presidents Club 9 out of 15 years when most never made it once.

Sorry to hear about your jacked up conditions. But it doesn't really add up why you didn't get disability. Are you on SS ? Most initial denial rates are over 90 % , so that is common. You need a lawyer for this one if you still need that $$$. Many denials are based on the application form and how you answer/fill them out. Also medical records , which you seem to have. At least you're making the best of it by hunting. GL.....

yep that WAS me. in fact I sold everything! but my new years promise...bought a new ace 400 and everything I need after a 2 year giving up period. finally decided I can hurt at home or hurt doing something I love. broken hip, tib and fib hardware in hip and tib. so I wear my pinpointer next to my bionic hip and it sounds off if I forget to turn it off. slow detecting is better anyhow..lol

Myasthenia gravis

I have Myasthenia gravis as well but instead of putting me on a bunch of steroids my doctor wanted to try some thing diffrent . He had a doctor remove my Thymus gland right next to the Thyroid. They are not sure what really does any way, but that was about 25 years ago and it put it in remission . I still get some double vision from it but can correct that with my glasses. You might ask your doctor about it as a possibility I no longer take any medicine for it at all. I am all so sure I have out lived my doctor. Worth looking in to .

Back
Top Bottom