WWII Dog Tag Returned

Metaldiggr

A few years ago I came across a location that once was the site of a military camp from WW I to WW II. I detected the area for a month or so in the spring and found a bunch of old coins and relics. Last year I made the trip back and ended up digging an old dog tag. All the info was there... Name, address, next of kin.... I spent a couple weeks searching but couldn't find anyone in the area of the address so I put the tag in with my finds and forgot about it. Around Christmas last year I pulled it out and tried again to return the tag to the family. I found a close match, A woman, called and left a message. The next day she called back crying, said yesterday (the day I initially called) was her parents anniversary, they passed away years ago. She was amazed that someone would take the time to return the tag and was excited to get it back.

If you're interest, here's a video of me finding the tag and a cut-in with the "thank you" letter she mailed back to me.

https://youtu.be/4sur-LSeRjc

I just think it's a great metal detecting story!

Attachments

• MilCamp091622 thumb4.jpg
    MilCamp091622 thumb4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 350
Love it! Congrats on the cool find, successful return and for being a good ambassador for the hobby. Hope the good karma comes back to you multiplied!

:dingding: THAT gets the dinger from me! I totally understand as some of my most satisfying moments in detecting have been returns. Good job!!!

That was so kool, especially the dedication you had to finding a family member. Something good will come your way in the near future.

ya can't put a price on human relation stories like that. For example: When I have guests over to our house (Christmas or superbowl party, etc...) I'll be showing our family friends through my museum collection trays. Pointing out seateds, gold coins, rare buttons, etc.... But then my wife will barge in regaling the guest with some past story about some posse-hunt for a ring, or a suspected jar stashed by someone who passed away (helping next-of-kin). :roll: And .... it's *those* stories that steal the day. Meanwhile, I'm trying to draw the visitor's gaze back to a gold coin, etc...

And you can see it in people's eyes, that a coin is just a ho-hum coin. As if the human-relation story is the show-stopper, haha :laughing:

ya can't put a price on human relation stories like that. For example: When I have guests over to our house (Christmas or superbowl party, etc...) I'll be showing our family friends through my museum collection trays. Pointing out seateds, gold coins, rare buttons, etc.... But then my wife will barge in regaling the guest with some past story about some posse-hunt for a ring, or a suspected jar stashed by someone who passed away (helping next-of-kin). :roll: And .... it's *those* stories that steal the day. Meanwhile, I'm trying to draw the visitor's gaze back to a gold coin, etc...

And you can see it in people's eyes, that a coin is just a ho-hum coin. As if the human-relation story is the show-stopper, haha :laughing:

This woman was so grateful, thanked me over and over. She was an only child and really close to her folks, I could tell she was really sad they were gone.

I'm hoping a reluctant land-owner will see what the community's about and decide to allow detecting on their land.

This woman was so grateful, thanked me over and over. .....

Being near the beach, I've done a lot of posse hunts for rings over the years. Sometimes where sizable reward money is involved. And on a few occasions, the tip or reward I'm given is actually more than the value of the ring. Which makes me wonder : "Gee, the person could have just gone and got another ring ". :shock: But they'll often explain to me how it was hand-made, or passed down to them 5 generations so-far in their family. Or that the boyfriend spent a month working overtime at his job, to afford that particular ring, with which he proposed to her with said ring.

In each case: Some sentimental story that goes beyond intrinsic value. Ie.: a "story" attached. I've even had persons collapse into my arms in tears of joy before, when I was able to find a ring. And yeah : Those are the fun stories to add to your collection trays too :)

Back
Top Bottom