It's hard to pass up digging dimes and quarters

aamechs2

You know I've come to place where finding clad is not really challenging. It's FUN THOUGH. New plan to find gold in parks. Don't dig the high tones just the mid tones. On ATP I heard gold rings up from about 45-75. Now I've never found a gold or silver ring but that is my next order of business. With only limited time to hunt, I'll have to pass up those high tones.But passing up those dimes and quarters is hard. I see all these you tube videos with people finding rings in parks. It seems unbelievable... Any one else hunt this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig almost everything 50 and over. If you don't dig high tones you will miss a lot! I've used my ATP for 3 years and I've only found 1 14k ring, and I've dug tons of midtones. But digging high tones I've found unbelievable relics and coins. Even digging clad may be boring but it pays for gas and also the clad you think you're digging may well be much more! GL

.... Any one else hunt this way? ....

The only time I ever pass all high conductors, to increase odds at gold rings, is when the beach erosion is going off hot and heavy, so I don't feel like going home with 100 clad dimes and pennies. Like , if a pocket is so thick I'm poised to get 200 to 300 coins, then why oh why would I want coins ? :)

But in park turf, no. Yes it's true you'll increase your odds at gold rings. But if your parks are blighted and junky, it can also be a recipe for depression.

If gold rings are your agenda/goal, the recipe is not to "lower your disc. and dig junk till your arms fall off in junky parks". But rather: go to where gold rings are more likely to begin with . Do you have swimming beaches near you ? (even if only in-land lake beaches ?).

Or if you simply must do turf, be highly selective on the type of turf. Athletics venues like soccer fields, or ball diamonds in upscale sides of town. Because parks where eating and drinking is going on (picnic tables, for example) is the recipe for foil (to wrap food), and tabs (for the drinks). And BBQ pits introduce molten can slaw and the like. Contrast to athletic fields (where no eating and drinking is going on, yet people are making frolicking motions with their hands), and you'll have a much better ring ratios (although still possibly punishing).

But swim beaches are the best. And sand is easier to dig in :cool:

I've had days where I'd dig the mid-tones in not so trashy parks and sports fields, and it does get depressing. I've hunted some county parks on the lakes, thousands of plugs dug and not a single gold in eight years time. I won't pass on a quarter hit, not always on dimes.

I've found a lot of silver rings that ring up like pennies, dimes and quarters depending on their size design and thickness.I've also found an occasional silver coin at very shallow depths mixed in with clad. In sports fields in particular. Never pass up a coin signal on an athletic field. My mom has a booth in a antique mall, I just gave her a handful of rings to sell for me that I found. Every one of them rang up like a coin. Including a gold pendant that rang up exactly like a nickel.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

You can make Clad hunting a challenging and worthwhile endeavor! Specialize in Mega cladding! Get 10k+ coins per year!...Go for Century days, duals and triples even...Quads in the right area...Just work the numbers and follow the herds...Dont think about it, just harvest! Never pass up a Q or a dime! Get good and fast on target ID and super quick retrieval..Chase that clad to Glory! Work on seeing how FAST you can pull clad...can you get 45cph? over 50? yeah...thats the ticket there!...Fast and Furious!

You WILL find gold, you WILL find old silver...jewelry, eyeball paper money...all sorts of things...

..Urban Warfare kind of deal......some really nice heavy gold has come out of some ridiculous areas..like totters and such...A mega claddy gets plenty of gold on account of the vast numbers of pulls and by following the human herd....

Its a strategy that pays...Its challenging alright, like any subset skill to master in this Sport, takes some specific skill development, especially for SPEED! Anybody can find clad, not too many can pull over 100cph, or 10,000 cpy.....Clad is Immediately FUN and profitable if you focus on speed!

Our Forum Brother AtProDude had a hell of a year!...a Mega Cladder, read his posts! He got all sorts of gold along the way...after you wipe out all the Q's and D's in an area, you can always go back and do a "Nickel Quest" some year..see if you can pull 1000 Nickels...you will find Gold hiding in there...

I never pass up a quarter signal on my F70, because it could be a silver ring...like this one (the one on top).

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 446
Wow thanks for that info! Now I have a great reason to dig those high tones anyways.

I agree with the others. I always did the mid tones hoping for gold. No dice in trashy parks but I have increased the number of nickels I have found. If you don't dig lower tones you will miss some stuff but if you skip the high tones you will REALLY miss some good stuff! Don't pass over high tones.

It's tough. I sometimes pass those mid tones and it keeps me up at night. When I go out I say to myself I'm digging everything but it get's depressing as many mention. I fall back to the known coin signals and cherry pick.

I never pass up a nice 72+ on my DFX. If you have limited time you should
"cherry pick" sites.. I do.

I don't get numbers, just a Beep. Good Beep and I dig it.

I've found all my dirt gold on soccer fields, namely sidelines.

But Tom's spot on - find a swim beach, I've found more gold there than dirt.

But I will say it takes digging either way, lots of digging. Never know what you're going to find, that's the beauty of this hobby :). Happy hunting!

Swim holes rivers and lake's produce the most for me I dig everything that I am sure isn't iron sometimes the iron as well if I find anything good I clear all metal . This is 2 days worth in a fresh water beach 3 gold rings one was plated don't always find good stuff but I do usually find neat things
0d807720de2d528d14ea6d755ef83b96.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go find a fresh water beach tomorrow and give it a try. Thank y'all

You know I've come to place where finding clad is not really challenging. It's FUN THOUGH. New plan to find gold in parks. Don't dig the high tones just the mid tones. On ATP I heard gold rings up from about 45-75. Now I've never found a gold or silver ring but that is my next order of business. With only limited time to hunt, I'll have to pass up those high tones.But passing up those dimes and quarters is hard. I see all these you tube videos with people finding rings in parks. It seems unbelievable... Any one else hunt this way?

The only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

Your plan,,is worthy,,if you don't mind leaving some higher conductive targets in the ground.

This park you are talking about,,anyone else a hunting,,and if yes,,do you know what detector and their experience level using it??

I bring this up,,because a person if they know this info,,,can capitalize.

What am I talking about???

Knowing a detector models strengths and weaknesses,,,if a person knows,,very possible for a hunter to use this info,,,and try and use their very own detector to capitalize on these detectors weaknesses. It might help too,,if you have an idea of what kinds of targets folks like to dig,,be it higher or lower conductors.

Let's look at one example here to illustrate.

Let's say a park close to you you like to hunt,,,,a person there hunts a lot using Minelab Etrac,,,and you talk to this person or have knowledge they like to dig coins.

If I had that data,,and was going to hunt with At Pro for example,,,,I would when detecting if I saw a solo sitting target,,reading higher vdi,,,I would pass on it,,,thinking etracer has done swung over and looked,,and they passed as well.

Etrac has a very good TID system btw,,especially on higher conductive coins.

So give the higher conductive solo sitting targets,,no dig decision.

But what if you get a mid or lower donductive target,,,this here etracer may indeed did hear,,but passed.

What about any target really nonferrous,,,before you dig,,you circle sweeping,,and pinpointing,,and you notice the target is close to iron,,and or nail(s),, or even another nonferrous conductor. This IMO would be a good one to dig,,,etracer might have been fooled,,or just heard lower condcutive and passed.

Does the park have any trashier areas,,or places with above average iron or nails,,,these areas,,,deserve special attention. And parks usually are more open,,and beleive it or not,,,many folks can't seem to let themselves run smaller coils.
Big mistake here IMO,,,find the worst areas of site(park) and try a smaller coil.

When you are at the park,,,pay attention to where folks seem to detect more,,and detect less,,,,then try and determine the reason(s) why by yourself doing some recon with your detector,,,or if you are lucky maybe some folks will tell you.lol

The sky is the limit,,,a person does need some strategy a lot of times,,especially detecting public places.

I have hunted a few,,,and what I talk about above,,,I've done and got some good finds,,,not a whole lot,,,but very worthy for areas in question.
Even a gent who lives around 35 miles from me,,,I've spoken to him,,,he's been detecting since '75,,, and when I told him what I found,,he said it was very good.
I just told him the town,,not the exact place,,,but I had first hand info,,this gent had been in these same sites a lot over the years. (He's a fbs SE pro person big time)

Good luck on your golden quest.

Last edited:
It is really hard to pass up those really good sounding high tones but if you have limited time to hunt it also don't make sense to pass them up. If the clad is thick and plentiful you can find enough to pay for gold and silver. Just throwing this out there but what I do , depending on my mood is concentrate on the clad and try to dig only a percentage of the gold range items , maybe like every third or fourth one , etc. This still gives me a chance of finding gold , yet Im not taking up my valuable and usually limited time to dig so much trash in hopes of finding gold that may not be there.

Hit a 14k ring with 14 small diamonds 2 weeks ago. Rang up at 49 on the Pro.

It is really hard to pass up those really good sounding high tones but if you have limited time to hunt it also don't make sense to pass them up. If the clad is thick and plentiful you can find enough to pay for gold and silver. Just throwing this out there but what I do , depending on my mood is concentrate on the clad and try to dig only a percentage of the gold range items , maybe like every third or fourth one , etc. This still gives me a chance of finding gold , yet Im not taking up my valuable and usually limited time to dig so much trash in hopes of finding gold that may not be there.

You sound just like me. My time and dig effort is way more focused on deep silver. Some low tones grab me but hardly...if the high tones cough up even one or two shiny silvers.

I will dig more nickel signals in old football fields and baseball fields. Lots of clad lets me know my machine is working, plus a silver ring hits every now and again.

At my age I do not have the energy to dig all those pull tabs, can slaw and other junk while dirt fishing. So I concentrate on high tones along with nickel tones and have fun. I do on occasion dig an interesting lower tone just to see what it might be. I do find the Rare piece of gold doing that. So far I have found three 10k rings because I wanted to know what I was hearing. Therefore most of my gold finds come from the beach/water.

At my age I do not have the energy to dig all those pull tabs, can slaw and other junk while dirt fishing. So I concentrate on high tones along with nickel tones and have fun. ....

What ?? "Concentrate" and "have fun" on "passing gold rings" ? HOW DARE YOU! :shock: (why would anyone want to "pass" gold rings and old nickels in junky turf ? :?:

You are just supposed to "learn the differences" between those " pull tabs, can slaw, and other junk" Tsk tsk.

What ? Going to beach/water to find your gold rings ? That suggests for a minute that those are better odds/places.

Back
Top Bottom