How to clean a rock tumbler in the winter!!!!

Gorgar

Elite Member
How does one a clean a rock tumbler in the winter? Without going outside? I just got my harbor freight double barrel. I like it and am experimenting cleaning pennies, clad and some relics. I am using aquarium gravel and keeping copper in one barrel and silver clad in the other. The water sure gets full of silt and dirt and stains hands quickly! I don't want to rinse in the sink cause it can glog it so I set up a 5 gallon bucket of water and have been using that to clean the tumblers and rocks and coins and hoping the silt would settle down to the bottom for the next day but it does not. I am also trying to clean the rocks and re-use them. I am kind of making a mess in my basement...:raining::raining: I don't have water in basement but I do have access to door to throw out dirty water. I get my fresh water from upstairs kitchen. Just trying to get a routine going. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have the single barrel version of the same tumbler from harbor freight. I also use aquarium gravel. I have a small hand colander that I bought for cheap at the store. I just dump the contents into the colander and flush it over the kitchen sink until the water runs clean. Then I fish through the gravel with my fingers to retrieve the coins. I set the colander full of gravel on the drying board to drain, and count my money! :) If your sink is having trouble draining you may want to consider some of the Liquid Plumber Gel to get rid of any choking sludge that may be in your pipes. You can always dunk the hand colander in a larger buck of water and swish around.

I do mine the same way dump it in wire strainer and rinse it clean under running water in sink then pick the coins out by hand . I then wash the strainer with hand sprayer on sink and rinse the gravel really clean then use them again as I use the one tub model from Harbor Freight tool co .
I have no trouble staining the sink as long as I wash it clean before it drys .
One problem I have noticed I have to make sure I put a rag or old towel under the tub when I sit it down on something if I don't it leaves a black ring smudge on the counter or what ever I sit it down on . But other than that one problem it works and cleaning everything goes real smooth .

Harold

Thanks for the tips. I got a colander and an empty 5 gallon bucket and a 1 gallon jug of fresh water in the basement where my MD stuff is at. I empty my tumbler in the colander over the empty bucket and rinse with the water. The silt is very dirty so I rinse it and put my finds back in the tumbler again. I just repeat the process as needed. When I want to do a final rinse I use the sink in the kitchen upstairs on paper towel to catch any small rocks. Works good for me. I am trying a repeat of a cleaning to see if the coins get even cleaner by being able to repeat the process. Cool Thanks. :hat3:

I'm not sure where your drain is but for about $100 you could put in a slop sink in the basement. The only thing with plumbing is to remember waste can only go down hill.

Back
Top Bottom