Nox 800 5 tones or 50

I bought mine at the same basic time you did , started out with the 5 tone settings and am finding it difficult as well to change or even try the 50 tone . I think its all about what were comfortable with , but his year will be my first year giving the 50 tone range some serious use . Good luck to us all - woo hoo

I have noticed most of the replies to this thread come from AT Pro or AT Max users. I came from 3 years using the AT Pro. Very good machine especially easy to learn to use.

But the Equinox 50 tones seems to be causing a long, long learning curve. I bought my 800 March 2018. Still avoiding 50 tones and I ask myself why?

I think tones are the hardest things to convey to other people especially in the written form. It cannot be done. Unless you are hunting side by side with an experienced Equinox user who is explaining tones to you and you are both swinging over the same buried target with identical modes and settings you just have to figure it out for yourself. But how many of us will have the opportunity to hunt side by side with such an experienced 800 teacher? Probably none of us.

The same goes for Youtube videos. I don't know many Equinox users who make decent Equinox hunt videos that effectively convey the actual sounds clearly. They would almost have to stick their GoPro microphone in the ear phones or directly wired to the Equinox.

So it is a long process that will take years. I know it will take more years for me because I have yet to start on that 50 tones journey.

A few of the guys posting on this thread used Minelab detectors before they picked up the Equinox. I suspect they will have a shorter learning curve than the rest of us.

I just wonder what a total newbie to the hobby and the Equinox is handling this and other Equinox learning issues?

My advice to those newbies as others have said, "Use the appropriate standard mode for your type of hunting and make advanced adjustments in small increments. The Minelab engineers have done a excellent job of assigning default settings for these standard modes on the Equinox."

I've been using 5 audio tones, now I'm using 50 audio tones and I think I'll stick with it because I can hear the nuances of target response better.

beephead

I had it on 50 tones tonight just to see what it was like.

When the tone has a slight hitch to it, like: bo-boooo-bloop, bo-boooo-bloop, that means it's a garbage target right?

I only use 5 tone or less I hunt in really trash lot's of it 50 tones gives a spread of tones and ids as you pass a coin low higher lower as you pass over the target with junk everywhere I can't hear what I am listing for . I want to hear that one tone as I come off the target a pure tone not a tone that goes lower then it hits another target and then the brain goes haywire .

This is not as much a problem with the ctx slower machine less chance to accept the next target thereby making it harder to hear what you heard 50 tones not for trash for me . sube

Last edited:
I almost always use 50 tones with iron audio on. Sometimes near the end of a hunt when I'm getting tired I'll turn the iron audio off.

I mainly use 5 tone and 2 tone on the equinox 800 and the CTX 3030. I have a minelab safari so I am well versed in the 50 tone language but find it unnecessary most of the time. If your mind wonders a little, you will miss targets. You have to stay really focused to mentally pilfer thru all the tones. I can get all the info I usually need out of 5 tones and I have a trashy program that uses 2 tones so I can easily pilfer thru the trash and find those hidden coins.

I prefer 2-Tone audio in cases when most trash is Iron Nails or other wire Iron like cut fencing. Otherwise, I like a good 3-Tone or 5-Tone audio, and I don't care for a lot of racket in my head from such things as 50-Tones. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with that because my Vanquish 540 only offers 5-Tone audio ID, and, as designed, it is working quite well.

Monte

I read that there's more chance that the Nox would up average in 2 tone over 50 tones, that may be of importance to park hunters.

What exactly does 50 tones mean?

Is it that each notch in the 1-50 TID screen has an individual tone with a different volume and pitch?

Or that each tone you hear gives you an audible clue as to the shape and composition of the target?

You are pretty close there beachclad. The Equinox target ID number range is from -9 to +40.

If you set up your Nox in 50 tones each one of those numbers is assigned a single tone from lowest -9 to highest +40.

Shape and composition of the targets can definitely make 50 tones sound very musical or a bit like someone sitting on a piano keyboard. Targets with very little alloy like gold jewelry, US nickels, copper coins (not clad) and 90% silver coins can have very few tones and numbers associated with them using 50 tones, depending on their size, depth, orientation and adjacent targets. A crushed, jagged aluminum can, crinkled up aluminum foil, rusty bent nail or a rusty crown bottle cap (especially Coronas) for examples, can make all sorts of sounds and have very jumpy numbers in one pass of the coil in 50 tones. So can a multi denomination coin spill or a small 10K gold chain. Do some practice with some of these targets in Park 1 or Beach 1 50 tones. It is a very different experience from 2, 3 or 5 tones. Hunting in 50 tones is challenging, but those tones tell me a lot about the target.

Jeff

You are pretty close there beachclad. The Equinox target ID number range is from -9 to +40.

If you set up your Nox in 50 tones each one of those numbers is assigned a single tone from lowest -9 to highest +40.

Shape and composition of the targets can definitely make 50 tones sound very musical or a bit like someone sitting on a piano keyboard. Targets with very little alloy like gold jewelry, US nickels, copper coins (not clad) and 90% silver coins can have very few tones and numbers associated with them using 50 tones, depending on their size, depth, orientation and adjacent targets. A crushed, jagged aluminum can, crinkled up aluminum foil, rusty bent nail or a rusty crown bottle cap (especially Coronas) for examples, can make all sorts of sounds and have very jumpy numbers in one pass of the coil in 50 tones. So can a multi denomination coin spill or a small 10K gold chain. Do some practice with some of these targets in Park 1 or Beach 1 50 tones. It is a very different experience from 2, 3 or 5 tones. Hunting in 50 tones is challenging, but those tones tell me a lot about the target.

Jeff

I've been using 5 tones lately. Might try switching back to 50. Bottle caps sound really good, and so do pull-tabs. The bottle caps especially. They have a steady tone and that nice "round" sound you get from coins. I dug like 2 dozen of them last night.

I've also been hunting with iron tones on (no discrimination). I came across a coin spill with some iron tones around it and I almost gave up on the area thinking that the jump from iron to high tones = junk. I turned off the iron audio and it became much more clear what the targets were.

I like 50 tones.

Seems this gent likes 50 tones too.

Excerpt below from following link.
https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,172596,172596#msg-172596

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike...….. here's a twist to the equation. Let's s
> ay you have a silver coin ….. that is tilted......
> and has a small piece of trash in (somewhat) close
> proximity to it. When the EQX is in 50-Tones...….
> you will hear a audio 'warble'...… with the high-t
> one(s) trying to 'stand out' the most. It'll lock
> up your brakes. The VDI will also be a 'warble' of
> jumping numbers.(((The VDI is not fibbing; yet, it
> 'll cause you to "talk your way out" of digging...
> … if you solely make your digging decision from th
> e VDI intel))). --- IF you are in 1 or 2 Tones...…
> . the EQX will take a 'averaging snapshot'...…. an
> d may not even indicate "silver coin"...…. rather:
> something lower in conductive ID. 50Tone and 2-Ton
> e and 1-Tone...… are just as fast; yet, …… there's
> an "averaging" going on..... whilst in 1 or 2-Tone
> . (You don't want that)!
>
> Depth performance is exactly the same...… regardle
> ss of number-of-tones selected (as long as you are
> not Disc'ing anything out. Apples-to-apples).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom