Some unusual finds from the strips today

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
My wife was having a get together with some lady friends today and she told me to get out of the house. I can do that! Called my buddy Buellride (Paul) and we agreed to meet up at some curb strips in front of some houses that were torn out a long time ago (to stop the illegal occupations and drugs and general mess that can be associated with abandoned houses). No love there at all so at Paul's suggestion we moved on. Struck out again! Off to a third location where we put in a solid 2 1/2 hours with nothing to show but a couple of wheats and a lot of sweat, although I did find a neat Abraham Lincoln medallion that was issued by the Illinois Watch Company as an advertising gimmick in the 1920's. Paul was tapped for time, so he left and I decided to move another couple of blocks to see if I could find some better ground. Started working a curbstrip that also was a bus stop. Clad dimes, nickels and memorials started coming. Then surprise, a Rosie and several wheats. This was fun! Got another penny level signal on the NOX, 21-22 and dug it. Out came a fairly large Cupid pin. It was brown and crusty (see first Cupid picture) and looked to be made of brass by its coloration (although it was unusually heavy). Kept on going and popped up a Merc dime. Two silvers made my day and since it was 80+ degrees and I was feeling warm and worn I went home. Decided to clean up the Lincoln medallion and the Cupid pin. Funny thing is, the more I rubbed on the Cupid pin, the more silver color began to show. Finally got out the metal polish and now the thing was really showing silver (2nd Cupid picture). Looked it over carefully and finally found a Sterling mark on the back in a discreet location on the feather portion of the arrow. 14.33 grams of silver.
That last stretch was a fantastic finish for me. Paul and I will have to go back and work that area more thoroughly in the near future. Almost certainly there is more to be found. Sorry about the quality of the pics. GL & HH everyone.

Attachments

• 20210726_185733.jpg
    20210726_185733.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 20210726_175006.jpg
    20210726_175006.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 424
  • 20210726_184834.jpg
    20210726_184834.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 423
  • 20210726_185257.jpg
    20210726_185257.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 20210726_153333.jpg
    20210726_153333.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 20210726_153412.jpg
    20210726_153412.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 20210726_160533.jpg
    20210726_160533.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 430
Outstanding recoveries Gale...sorry I couldn't finish it out with you...would have been great to pull some more history. Love cupid...a HUNK of silva right there!

Outstanding recoveries Gale...sorry I couldn't finish it out with you...would have been great to pull some more history. Love cupid...a HUNK of silva right there!

Thanks Paul. Sorry we couldn't score you any shiny today. Looks like there's still some potential there for the future though.

Thats some nice finds there RoS. Congrats on the shiny. The Cupid is a nice chunk of silver and I really like the Lincoln fob. Good luck, Mark

Good story there Gale! Glad you and Paul were able to get out. It is tuff hunting there in the Seattle area, but glad you were able to pull a couple of shiny coins and that heavy Sterling Cupid! Congrats on the nice items! Am off to Missoula today to see if some more Montana Silver might come out of the ground.

Thats some nice finds there RoS. Congrats on the shiny. The Cupid is a nice chunk of silver and I really like the Lincoln fob. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark. The Lincoln medallion is one of my recent favorites.

Good story there Gale! Glad you and Paul were able to get out. It is tuff hunting there in the Seattle area, but glad you were able to pull a couple of shiny coins and that heavy Sterling Cupid! Congrats on the nice items! Am off to Missoula today to see if some more Montana Silver might come out of the ground.

Thanks David. Still seem like a pretty meager result compared to your recent efforts. Good luck in Missoula today. Hope you have another epic outing.

Great finds , congrats !

Thank you.

Hi Gale, just back from MSO, not any epic outing, but still decent... went with my buddy Wayne... totals for us both... 1905 "V" Nickel, 1906 Indian Head Cent, full dated 1928 Buff, some Victorian jewelry (no precious), Merc Dime, Silver Rosie, and 2 silver GW Quarters, along with probably 40 Wheat Cents. We had to work hard for it, probably 5 1/2 hrs of detecting, but always fun to get out!

Definitely a good day and I love the silver Cupid.GL&HH

Thank you Dan. It's one of my favorites too.

Wonderful finds! Really like cupid, someone was definitely sad that they lost that. 👍

Thanks Kev. A great surprise. Hope you're having some luck as well.

Hi Gale, just back from MSO, not any epic outing, but still decent... went with my buddy Wayne... totals for us both... 1905 "V" Nickel, 1906 Indian Head Cent, full dated 1928 Buff, some Victorian jewelry (no precious), Merc Dime, Silver Rosie, and 2 silver GW Quarters, along with probably 40 Wheat Cents. We had to work hard for it, probably 5 1/2 hrs of detecting, but always fun to get out!

David, congrats on another fine outing. That's great variety in your shared finds. It's what keeps me going back out - the surprise in the next plug.

Great job. If you ever head up north let me know.

I actually think about it occasionally. Was in Anacortes last weekend and liked the look of the area, but I know it has been hunted hard, and it sounds like your hunting partners there do a pretty good job of covering ground. Don't know how much door knocking has been done there though. It is pretty tough to find many locations up north with enough "history" to really get me excited. You have done an admirable job of ferreting out some really interesting sites. If I'm ever up that way with some time on my hands I'll let you know. Good luck!

Very cool finds and a great read! Congrats on the silver and the Lincoln medallion.

Thanks GS. I actually took a Dremel polishing tool to the medallion and it turned out great.

Attachments

• 20210801_115140.jpg
    20210801_115140.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 20210801_115212.jpg
    20210801_115212.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom