My biggest civil war bullet yet! Other relics too.

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Here's a video of today's hunt. Hope you'll enjoy it. In HD if you click the link.

Got out today to a super hunted out spot that several detectorists have given up on a while ago. I love going to hunted out camp sites. When I bring the compadre it's like hunting new territory.

The weather was a little too warm for comfort today. About 80 F.
Lots of annoying bugs trying to nip at me and crawl into my skull.

At first I wasn't using headphones with the Compadre. I was finding quite a bit of targets but with the wind I felt like I wasn't hearing anything deep. Fast forward an hour and with headphones planted on my head, I got a good deep beep that sounded the same in all metal as in disc. This lets you know it's deep if the tone is soft in all metal.

This is what was in the hole!:bouncy::woohoo: My first .58 (I think) caliber CW bullet!
Weighs in at 33 grams or about 510 grains. Imagine the damage this could have done to someone...
IMAG0957 (Custom).jpg

Here's the rest of the pics. Overall, it was a fantastic relaxing day out beeping. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• CAM_0698.jpg
    CAM_0698.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMAG0951 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0951 (Custom).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMAG0959 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0959 (Custom).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 488
  • CAM_0699.jpg
    CAM_0699.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 509
  • CAM_0708 (Custom).jpg
    CAM_0708 (Custom).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 487
  • CAM_0710 (Custom).jpg
    CAM_0710 (Custom).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 517
Nice find's

Nice find's Bone,that one thing i havn't done yet is relic hunt for the civil war item's,i would like finding button's and buckle's,happy hunting

Congrats, awesome find! But are you sure it's 69 cal? 69 cal ought to be 600-700 grains depending on type. 58 cal ought to be right around 500 grains like yours, and based on your pics I'd say that's likely. You should take some calipers to it to be sure. Awesome either way, gotta love finding some Civil War lead :D

Congrats, awesome find! But are you sure it's 69 cal? 69 cal ought to be 600-700 grains depending on type. 58 cal ought to be right around 500 grains like yours, and based on your pics I'd say that's likely. You should take some calipers to it to be sure. Awesome either way, gotta love finding some Civil War lead :D

You're the expert! Thanks. I'll correct my post. I'm not sure what size the other bullets are though. I don't have any calipers. :(

Bullet ID

Nice Finds.

The bullets are a .44 caliber for the Colt Army revolver, a .50 for the Smith Carbine and a standard .58 caliber for the rifled musket.

Hope this helps,

John

The Hiller

Rick, the round piece that you said, says hiller, might be a valve off a oil lamp. I found one last year that had a patent date.The one I found was from the 1860's. That would put it in the Civil War era.

Back
Top Bottom