Best Durable Gloves for Winter digging?

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Hi all, haven't posted in years I think...Hope everyone is well.

Since moving to PA I have to deal with snow and digging around on the ground...and gloves getting wet....

Is there a set of gloves that can meet this criteria?

1. Stays dry through snow and mildly wet ground
2. Stays warm through 20 degrees or possibly lower
3. Remains rugged and tough even when digging through soil
4. Can last at least ten hunts or so at a couple hours an outing

I know this might seem impossible, but what do you people recommend?

I've tried the thinsulate gloves and they might be the best option - but I'm wondering if there is something better out there.

Not sure whats available over in the States, but try searching for Cold store/Warehouse gloves on line..The ones you want are a heavy duty rubber *waterproof* with either a fleece or flock lining as insulation.

These are work gloves designed for cold environments, and work fine in our cold wet weather. Be aware not all such gloves are waterproof so look for that specifically in the ad...

For really cold weather, I would then wear some ex Army overmitts over the top to add warmth in between digging....

Unfortunately, “rugged and tough” usually don’t go along with “comfort and warm”...I’m in southern Wisconsin and have tried every glove out there, including gloves from .99 to 50$ a pair. Layering works best, as it does throughout the rest of the body, but there’s no good answer for durability, warmth and dexterity all rolled into one. The 5-10 times I DO go out in the winter, I use Gordini ski gloves, and never touch the ground with them. I use the tools until the coin is out and then remove the glove to pick the coin out. As soon as you start introducing dirt(mud especially) to your gloves, it’s everywhere...and miserable. I will do whatever it takes to not have cold extremities, and sometimes it’s a considerable amount of work and money to dress properly for the expedition!

I've found the best gloves I use in Lowes or H-Depot, sturdy leather, fairly comfortable, enough cold/wet weather protection for some detecting, keep a couple pairs and switch out if one pair gets excessively wet.

There are some military versions, insulated and with Gortex liner. The ones with the foldback finger tips would be cool, to easily operate your controls.

I don't have to work in the cold anymore, but when I did, the best way I found to stay warm and dry was work gloves covered with Playtex heavy duty dishwasher gloves. They are pretty tough I used to work way too hard building petroleum bulk plants and would get a week out of a 3 pack. The only down side was often the store only had them in pink. I think they would last a long time metal detecting. When it was very cold, like 10 below I would wear surgical gloves under the work gloves. It would keep my hands nice and warm until you took off the outer gloves then your hands freeze instantly. I have tried many different gloves and most times you get what you pay for, but I have found the more expensive the glove is the quicker it gets ripped, or burnt, or lost.

I have tried many different gloves and most times you get what you pay for, but I have found the more expensive the glove is the quicker it gets ripped, or burnt, or lost.

Me too Scooterjim! Also, you are right about the work gloves covered with Playtex heavy duty dishwasher gloves. Pretty warm and dry......cheaper too!

Back
Top Bottom