Another good COINSTAR haul...

jimther

Elite Member
... but alas, NO SILVER again.

56 coins in the supermarket Coinstar reject tray (see breakdown on the photo). One foreign coin was almost the size of a U.S. half dollar. Never saw a coin from Croatia before (4 Kuna, the one with the bear on one side).

Many of the Zincolns were crusty white. I threw them all in a plastic container with a few ounces of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt and shook it about for a couple of minutes. I was pleasantly surprised how clean they came out.

My 2020 Coinstar total is up over 160 coins already. Hope the silver comes soon; Gotta catch up with Ed (diggin4clad).

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2559.jpg
    IMG_2559.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2560.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Good score Jim. I think your Zincoln total surpasses mine. I got a silver dime on Feb. 1st and since then have only scored ONE stinkin' Zincoln. :lol: I got a coin from Croatia last year but it was much smaller than the one you have.

Nice haul. I used to get hits like that last year. The sour old bag in Stop & Shop has an issue with my daughter and I checking the machine. If she sees us coming now, she checks it first. I hope she chokes.

Nice haul. I used to get hits like that last year. The sour old bag in Stop & Shop has an issue with my daughter and I checking the machine. If she sees us coming now, she checks it first. I hope she chokes.
Maybe you and your daughter could wear a disguise the next time you go there to check the Coinstar. I get a few odd looks every now and then but I just go ahead and look and if there's anything in the tray I grab it.
Choking the "old bag" might be a good thing.:laughing:

Congrats !!!! :thumbsup:

…..and hey, might not be a silver, but still better than my usual nothing at all, and very occasionally a Zincoln or clad or two or so :lol: I can't complain though, Coinstar is right near the exit and anything I get is a bonus :lol:
(very very rarely I do hit the very occasional jackpot and find a bunch at once)

It's all in the timing! I do better when the store's busy. Workers don't have time to check the tray.

Good point !

Hey, while I fully understand workers checking the tray (we would too if we worked there :lol:) I do wonder how many of the workers have smarts about coin values, and how many might simply spend any silvers they find at face value as if they were regular clad coins :shock: :lol:

Good point !

Hey, while I fully understand workers checking the tray (we would too if we worked there :lol:) I do wonder how many of the workers have smarts about coin values, and how many might simply spend any silvers they find at face value as if they were regular clad coins :shock: :lol:

It's very possible that store workers have no knowledge when it comes to silver coins. Case in point......A few years ago I was in the neighborhood liquor store and the guy at the register was counting coins from the draw to give me my change. I noticed that in his hand was a silver Washington quarter. He paused to give it a rather curious second look and I'm thinking he's going to put it aside....but instead of putting it aside he hands it to me.

Us oldsters grew up with silver so we know what they are, the dumb millenials that work in the stores these days dont know jack, youre lucky if they give you correct change back. Lol lol. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dont forget to check the feed tray, behind the feed tray, the top metal thing that sticks out, and I have also found coins stuck in the slot of the feed tray that got jammed, those have to be slid out with your pocket knife.
The peeps that work there never check those spots and I have found silver in all those spots. I got 4 last year.

Dont forget to check the feed tray, behind the feed tray, the top metal thing that sticks out, and I have also found coins stuck in the slot of the feed tray that got jammed, those have to be slid out with your pocket knife.
The peeps that work there never check those spots and I have found silver in all those spots. I got 4 last year.

I've also found coins up top in the feed tray. Unfortunately, In a couple of the stores I go to, they've moved the Coinstars into a much more visible, high-traffic area. Whipping out a pocket knife to dislodge a jammed coin or three would look too much like tampering with the machine. I wouldn't want to gather that much negative attention from the store personnel. In my mind, that would go from "flying under the radar" to "HEY EVERYONE LOOKIT ME OVER HERE!".

I've also found coins up top in the feed tray. Unfortunately, In a couple of the stores I go to, they've moved the Coinstars into a much more visible, high-traffic area. Whipping out a pocket knife to dislodge a jammed coin or three would look too much like tampering with the machine. I wouldn't want to gather that much negative attention from the store personnel. In my mind, that would go from "flying under the radar" to "HEY EVERYONE LOOKIT ME OVER HERE!".

A few of the machines I check have also been moved to a high traffic area and since then have been giving up a lot less than prior to the move. Now, instead of only a small number of people walking by the machine, basically every shopper walks by it on their way out.

I would definitely be happy with that Jim, it beats an empty tray for sure! Congrats on the handful of interesting coins!

Absolutely amazing! I'm stupefied. I've managed to find about $0.43 over the years in these machines. Well done!

Congrats !!!! :thumbsup:

…..and hey, might not be a silver, but still better than my usual nothing at all, and very occasionally a Zincoln or clad or two or so :lol: I can't complain though, Coinstar is right near the exit and anything I get is a bonus :lol:
(very very rarely I do hit the very occasional jackpot and find a bunch at once)

Good score Jim. I think your Zincoln total surpasses mine. I got a silver dime on Feb. 1st and since then have only scored ONE stinkin' Zincoln. :lol: I got a coin from Croatia last year but it was much smaller than the one you have.

Thanks everyone... Maybe I'll break the thousand coin mark by the end of 2020

Back
Top Bottom