Ordered A 14” x 11” DD Reaper Searchcoil For The APEX And Tried It Out....."WOW"

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
I am a great fan of the AT Series for general hunting needs in my local. I have always enjoyed it's sensitivity and ID/audio abilities. Someone suggested I try the Reaper coil on the APEX for similar results. Well, after about an hours worth of playing with the controls, changing frequencies etc. I was very impressed. It's like adding a power boost option. Now I have never really been a fan of large coils, however, this coil works great! It balances well with the APEX ergonomically, remains sensitive to tiny objects and really bangs hard on the higher conductors like silver and copper. It also works great with my Canadian coinage. I presume it gets better depth due to it's size and other previous user's comments, but at this point that's not an issue for me. This coil, combined with the ability to change frequencies/multi-frequencies is a great fit! I am going to do several more hunts to see how well it does. Has anyone else has similar results?

Attachments

• aug11a.jpg
    aug11a.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 186
...after about an hours worth of playing with the controls, changing frequencies etc. I was very impressed. It's like adding a power boost option. Now I have never really been a fan of large coils, however, this coil works great! It balances well with the APEX ergonomically, remains sensitive to tiny objects and really bangs hard on the higher conductors like silver and copper. It also works great with my Canadian coinage. I presume it gets better depth due to it's size and other previous user's comments, but at this point that's not an issue for me. This coil, combined with the ability to change frequencies/multi-frequencies is a great fit! ...

Hi John,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Reaper for my Apex even though I'm already impressed with the 8.5 x 11 Raider. I'm curious for more details on what you mean by "playing with the controls, changing frequencies etc." What settings did you fiddle with and what were your observations? I'm asking in part because I've generally left mine in MF on land and MS on the beach, and the only difference I've noticed with different channels is less EMI interference on some versus others. So obviously, I haven't experimented enough with these, and am wondering if I'm missing an opportunity. I've heard others allude to changing channels but with no specifics, so now I'm curious.... Thanks in advance

Hi John,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Reaper for my Apex even though I'm already impressed with the 8.5 x 11 Raider. I'm curious for more details on what you mean by "playing with the controls, changing frequencies etc." What settings did you fiddle with and what were your observations? I'm asking in part because I've generally left mine in MF on land and MS on the beach, and the only difference I've noticed with different channels is less EMI interference on some versus others. So obviously, I haven't experimented enough with these, and am wondering if I'm missing an opportunity. I've heard others allude to changing channels but with no specifics, so now I'm curious.... Thanks in advance

I was putting previously dug up coins on top of the dirt, and was testing the various 5-10-15-29-MF variations to see if there might be an advantage to a certain group of frequencies on the REAPER coil. It works much much better in my Canadian coinage then the stock coil. Easy to separate good targets from bad ones in trashy areas. And, it remains very sensitive to tiny 3/8" conductive targets. I am not concerned about added depth at this point, as I am still trying to master pinpointing with such a large coil. I have never really been a fan of large coils, but the REAPER search coil is changing that. Here's my first 3 to 3-1/2 hours worth of digging. All dug up in grassy areas, not tot-lots.

Bonus that it really likes our coins, especially the one and two dollar ones.

Attachments

• aug11b.jpg
    aug11b.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks, John, I appreciate the response. I think I'll pick up a Reaper as well - I seem to be in either very trashy areas or very empty ones. I have the 5 x 8 Ripper coil for the really trashy areas, but I think the Reaper would be handy in those open spaces....

Back
Top Bottom