Whats the worst thing thats happened to you while MD?

Im sorry to hear and see that....... theres no reason for that...... thats the reason why im afraid to go to downtown B'ham I know the chances of getting jumped are slim, but im not willing to take that chance. I'll stick to my small town....... Again im sorry that some punks cant act their age........

Like Tabdog I was also attacked from behind by 3 fine youths and knocked unconscious for a few brief seconds. This is the link to the original thread. (I apologize to those of you that have seen this before but there are many new members that haven't.)

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=8435&highlight=attacked+mding

What you can't see in the picture is the neck pain that I had for 6 months. I did go back to the park a year later.

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES & TRUST NO ONE!!!

What is hard to explain is the emotional effect
of being humiliated in such a way.

I was so humiliated, I could not even talk about
it for a while.

Don't let it make you bitter.

The most important thing we can do is to enjoy
life without hating. (that means love)

Other wise, the jerks win, (that means hate)

What is hard to explain is the emotional effect
of being humiliated in such a way.

I was so humiliated, I could not even talk about
it for a while.

Don't let it make you bitter.

The most important thing we can do is to enjoy
life without hating. (that means love)

Other wise, the jerks win, (that means hate)

Amen :good:

My own experience with such people, albeit unrelated to metal detecting:

When I was about 19 or 20, I was in the downtown area of my hometown, sitting on a park bench, waiting for a ride. It was pretty late at night- 10:00 or 11:00 PM- I had just gotten off work.

A group of kids my age- six to be exact- spotted me sitting alone. Now I knew the group was going to be trouble just from the looks of them, but one of them had a gun, which made it many times worse. I'm a pretty big guy and not afraid to throw down if I have to, but when you're outnumbered 6-1 and one has a gun, there's just no way to win there.

The one who had the gun slapped me when he walked by, then when I stood up to kick the **** out of him outnumbered-or-not, he pulled it out and pointed it at my head. They all proceeded to jump in and hit me- all I could do is curl up and block as best as possible, since the likely alternative was getting shot. Eventually, a truck drove by with a few older guys in it who saw what was happening and they whipped a U-Turn- the attackers dispersed, the older guys came over and helped me up. Had a good sized knot on the back of my head and a cut on the back of my neck, but that was about it. It could've been a lot worse.

Yes, it was hateful for a while, but it can eat you up. The best comfort we can take is knowing that those types of people don't stay in society very long- the days they spend walking free are just little respites between their stretches in prison. Their lives will always be miserable, bottom-of-the-barrel affairs.

As the old Jewish saying goes... "The Best Revenge is living well..." Enjoy your life and live well. The people who do those sorts of things will never enjoy theirs.

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as my worst experience, but it's close..
I'm checking out a tot lot that had a few kids & mommies in it a couple
years ago, and while I'm clearing a signal by the swing set, I get up
and get a face full of tush from a rather large mommy on a swing.. Knocked
me right down, earphones flying, hat flying, etc... I get up to get the number of the truck that hit me, and she's apologizing up & down... For my stupidity..
So, I picked up the pace before a crowd gathered and got out of Dodge,
red-faced and all... It WAS embarrassing...

having a small can of pepper spray in your diggin pouch is starting to sound like a very good idea, this way its handy at a moments notice

Hard knocks

I was digging in hard, dry ground with a new digging knife when my hand slipped down the full length of the blade.

One afternoon I was close to having heat stroke in a shady church yard on a day in the mid-90s. I didn't realize it till a went back to take a break in my car's A/C. I could barely walk and I was shaking badly.

In 47 years of hunting, I have never had a bad experience with a person other than those who decided that didn't want me digging after all. Weird thing is that a lot of detectorists that I happened across on the same property did not look favorable upon sharing the territory. They were huffy, grumpy or gave some super evil stares when I was hunting the same schoolyard or park. One guy in the early 1980s who I walked over to meet was about 70 and not very pleasant at all. It could have been a nice friendship, but he thought otherwise. That gentleman would be about 110 years old today.

Last edited:
Nice Tab, I have a little Bersa .380 fits right in my pocket, hope I never need it, but feel safer....Curt:grin:

KT has a little .380 Taurus pocket gun, fortunately never have been threatened so never felt a need to draw it! But His Majesty did have a dude coming up on me pretty fast in a public park, until I turned to face him with my digger in my hand...pretty nasty looking...he sidestepped me and just kept goin! :laughing::laughing:

One of my laying hens rode on the rear axel of my truck at 70 mph for 15 minutes, unaware to me. Got to my buddies house, she hung out for a while, we got back, tried to catch her and she jumped back up on the axel. I took it slower on the way back home.

While detecting I've nearly been bitten by Cotton Mouths, Copperheads.. Been covered head to toe in ticks & mosquito's, suffered heat exhaustion & frost bite on my hands & feet..Chased through the woods by coyotes & wild dogs..Poked by large thorn bushes & my entire body coved in poison Ivy...But last year was still a lot of fun..:lol:

Given your profile name, I'm glad one of the items on your list was not about getting struck by lightning!

Like Tabdog I was also attacked from behind by 3 fine youths and knocked unconscious for a few brief seconds. This is the link to the original thread. (I apologize to those of you that have seen this before but there are many new members that haven't.)

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=8435&highlight=attacked+mding

What you can't see in the picture is the neck pain that I had for 6 months. I did go back to the park a year later.

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES & TRUST NO ONE!!!

I would have camped out in that park with a shotgun for the next month. Then I would have taken my metal detector over their bodies, and dig the shot out of them, and keep it as part of my collection.

The park I usually hunt is not in the best part of town. In the past couple of years they have destroyed new playground equipment in the tot lot, broken glass all over the basketball court from beer parties and even burnt down the restroom. I have had them check out my car while I was detecting. Not long ago they found a dead body at a picnic table. I usually hunt alone but I am seriously thinking about starting to carry one of my pistols with me.

Back
Top Bottom