Floating Water Sieve

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
This may have come up before. Forgive me. Does anyone make a Floating Sieve for water hunting? Ive seen examples in water hunting YouTube videos. Seems really handy for recovering targets. Not sure if they are made commercially or if they are mostly made by others more clever than me. I'd love to see some examples.

Make it yourself out of one of those white 55 gallon plastic barrels... it may take you a couple of days drilling the holes.. I got mine from Fsa46 I use it all the time because I hunt in mud...

Here's one I made for myself. It's a PVC pipe frame with pool noodle floats. The fabric was from Lowes. It is a plastic mesh in the garden center.
79495c984bc051c70e39648467f4e9e6.jpg

Cliff

Here's one I made for myself. It's a PVC pipe frame with pool noodle floats. The fabric was from Lowes. It is a plastic mesh in the garden center.
79495c984bc051c70e39648467f4e9e6.jpg

Cliff

Thanks. Looks great. What are the dimensions? Do you wish it were bigger or smaller? Nice miter cuts on the corners!

Thanks. Looks great. What are the dimensions? Do you wish it were bigger or smaller? Nice miter cuts on the corners!
18x18 I think. It can be made any size you like. I really haven't tried it so I can't comment how much I like it. The pool noodle cuts easy with a bread knife.

You'll need enough 3/4" pipe to make the sides, 4 elbows and a couple of pool noodles. The mesh comes in a roll. I built the frame, attached the fabric with tie wraps, then put on the noodles with more tie wraps. It took longer to plan than to build.

Cliff

Make it yourself out of one of those white 55 gallon plastic barrels... it may take you a couple of days drilling the holes.. I got mine from Fsa46 I use it all the time because I hunt in mud...

This type sifter is going to catch everything....I'll catch studs, 22 cal bullets besides the bigger stuff...

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 435
Something like that would come in handy river hunting. I will have to put one together.

Something like that would come in handy river hunting. I will have to put one together.

What you don't see is a weight attached to it so it stays away from you while digging then you pull it when you need it..

You hand drilled all those holes manually?

No... FSA46 did took him a couple days when he retired from the hobby we traded for it.... I think he told me he had a pattern with holes in it and he placed it over the barrel in sections and drilled them out.

No... FSA46 did took him a couple days when he retired from the hobby we traded for it.... I think he told me he had a pattern with holes in it and he placed it over the barrel in sections and drilled them out.

That was going to be my next question. Those holes are perfect. Without a template, I'd run at least every other one into the next. Very time consuming but great looking end product.

That was going to be my next question. Those holes are perfect. Without a template, I'd run at least every other one into the next. Very time consuming but great looking end product.

i sent Frank a email hopefully he will respond later or tomorrow...

You can go to metal shops or even home depot, tractor supply and buy sheets of holed metal.

Frank responded to my email he posted this:

I purchased a 1/4" thick perforated plate from McMaster Carr. I put it on the bottom of the sifter and drilled about 6 holed in the bottom. I then bolted the plate to the bottom so it wouldn't move and drilled the remainder of the holes.

Frank responded to my email he posted this:

I purchased a 1/4" thick perforated plate from McMaster Carr. I put it on the bottom of the sifter and drilled about 6 holed in the bottom. I then bolted the plate to the bottom so it wouldn't move and drilled the remainder of the holes.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

I love my sifter, simple..bread try covered with the netting from McMaster Car..1/4 inch I think, then I got the larger pool noodle from amazon, think it is 3.5 inchs..Big noodle helps take the blunt of the scoop from messing up the netting. Good Luck! And post us a pic of the finished product.

Very easy to make

I made one from PVC, garden mesh and zip ties I got from Home Depot. It was very easy, the PVC was already in pre-cut lengths along with the elbows. Some zip ties and pool noodles and it's complete. Works great.

Attachments

• Updated sifter 2.jpg
    Updated sifter 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 253
I made one from PVC, garden mesh and zip ties I got from Home Depot. It was very easy, the PVC was already in pre-cut lengths along with the elbows. Some zip ties and pool noodles and it's complete. Works great.
That's the same idea as the one I posted.

Cliff

picture.php

I used this one made from a wastepaper basket many years ago. I only used it in the cold winter months when it was difficult for my cold, numb hands to retrieve targets from the small scoop I was using at the time. Now that I have a larger 8" scoop it is not as much of a problem although it would be useful in areas where small rocks or clay clog up the scoop. I guess I hesitate to use it now because I feel that attracts even more attention than detecting without it.

picture.php

I used this one made from a wastepaper basket many years ago. I only used it in the cold winter months when it was difficult for my cold, numb hands to retrieve targets from the small scoop I was using at the time. Now that I have a larger 8" scoop it is not as much of a problem although it would be useful in areas where small rocks or clay clog up the scoop. I guess I hesitate to use it now because I feel that attracts even more attention than detecting without it.

I have a beach I could use that one on George... not only will it hold the gold rings I find there but clams as well :D

Back
Top Bottom