Annoying questions

beachrumbum

What is it about having a metal detector in your hands that seems to invite everyone to stop you and ask questions? I have even had two different women taking my picture as of late without asking permission, granted it is perfectly legal but I wonder how they would feel if I decided to do the same? One would think being one of the very few people on the beach with a real purpose and intense focus would act as a signal to others to leave one alone, however I am sure we all know that is the furthest thing from the truth. Some people are at least respectful and have real questions that are not the canned garbage most spew ie. What are you looking for, have you found anything, what’s the best thing that you have found? Ect. Those people can tend to be a pleasure to talk to and are a nice break from the monotonous hordes that usually ask things but most are simply annoying. This is why I like to get out early or late but sometimes I have no choice but to hunt when I can or to beat the competition. So what do you think makes a metal detector a question magnet? Do you think people do it on purpose to get a rise from the detectorist? Please feel free to share any really annoying encounters that you may have had.

Where there is people , it's just gonna happen. I'm camera shy. I don't like my picture taken. A picture cost me alot of $ years ago. Anyway , as of late I wear a balaclava. So that can hide your face. Keep this in mind : many have never seen a metal detector before. I've had quite a few over the years ask me what it is , what's it for , etc. So yes , they will take pictures. Ignoring them , turning the other direction depending on your mood , is what I do. Generally , I try to be friendly. It's better that way. BUT , many want to chat for 5 minutes. If I did that , I would lose an hour on each hunt. And TIME is my # 1 enemy when beach hunting.

I don't mind people talking to me.. some are just curious.. they have asked me if I was clamming or going for seaworms and I tell them... no I am looking for your husbands Rolex which brings out laughter and smiles... a couple have said if you find it lets split it :lol:

I don't mind people talking to me.. some are just curious.. they have asked me if I was clamming or going for seaworms and I tell them... no I am looking for your husbands Rolex which brings out laughter and smiles... a couple have said if you find it lets split it :lol:

Yep, gotta make a good appearance! We have to respect the beach and the people that go there. It is surprising how few know what a metal detector is, but its a perfect opportunity to share a feel good story (returned wedding ring story always gets big smiles) or show much trash you have picked up. Karma goes a long way in this hobby.

I will say its a little odd when people try to "sneak" a photo of you lol. Don't take it personally.

Most of the time I think people are just curious so I don't mind- especially if I am doing well. However, one time this knuckle-head came up to me and wanted me to bring my detector over and "beep" his girlfriend who was laying on the sand. He was acting like this was the greatest idea that he had ever come up with (and perhaps it was) and I could see the disappointment in his face when I politely told him that I didn't have time for that.

I don't mind the honest questions, but then, I keep moving forward while talking. I am also out usually by sunup and gone by noon or when the crowds start filling up the beaches, or night hunting.
Pictures...Don't mind, wonder if I would recognize myself from any other Fl. hunter, Big billed hat,sunglasses, headphones, neck wrap for the sun cover, sunblock on the nose and face

> Kids,"what are you looking for?"
>> "Captain Jacks Treasure"

> "Did you find my diamond ring?"
>>"Found it, Sold it, Bought a ham sandwich!"

>"What have you found?"
>>"Nickles, Dimes & bottle caps"

>Stupid questions...
>> Baffle them with Bull hockey !

DL

Most of the time I think people are just curious so I don't mind- especially if I am doing well. However, one time this knuckle-head came up to me and wanted me to bring my detector over and "beep" his girlfriend who was laying on the sand. He was acting like this was the greatest idea that he had ever come up with (and perhaps it was) and I could see the disappointment in his face when I politely told him that I didn't have time for that.

Depends what she looks like. I'm sure she had body piercings where the sun don't shine ! Good way to test your detector for micro-jewelry. Of course you need the visual to confirm 🤪🤪🤪

Where there is people , it's just gonna happen. I'm camera shy. I don't like my picture taken. A picture cost me alot of $ years ago. Anyway , as of late I wear a balaclava. So that can hide your face. Keep this in mind : many have never seen a metal detector before. I've had quite a few over the years ask me what it is , what's it for , etc. So yes , they will take pictures. Ignoring them , turning the other direction depending on your mood , is what I do. Generally , I try to be friendly. It's better that way. BUT , many want to chat for 5 minutes. If I did that , I would lose an hour on each hunt. And TIME is my # 1 enemy when beach hunting.

Well, the one woman I didn’t mind and ended up talking to her for a moment. Let’s just say she got a pass. 😆

Some I don’t mind either, I guess a lot depends on what kind of hunt I am having. If I have the mumbles I generally try to ignore them, then there are those that when ignored wave there hands and practically shout to get attention. :?:

Yep, gotta make a good appearance! We have to respect the beach and the people that go there. It is surprising how few know what a metal detector is, but its a perfect opportunity to share a feel good story (returned wedding ring story always gets big smiles) or show much trash you have picked up. Karma goes a long way in this hobby.

I will say its a little odd when people try to "sneak" a photo of you lol. Don't take it personally.

Good point here, I try to be kind. As stated above though, I am subject to a range of human emotions and at times, just don’t feel like peopleing tm.

Some I don’t mind either, I guess a lot depends on what kind of hunt I am having. If I have the mumbles I generally try to ignore them, then there are those that when ignored wave there hands and practically shout to get attention. :?:

I have my own business and I can go all day without talking to anyone while working so I will talk with someone if I am hunting for the chance to communicate with another human :lol: especially if she is cute :D

If I'm on the gold then its hi and bye :lol:

+ 1 , I don't mind if they ask questions , some are some what interested in the hobby ,but afraid it is to expensive to get in to. I have used up a lot of my detecting time on occasion trying to help explain how the machines work. As I leave them I always give them this forum link to explore more. I have also go some leads on possible new locations.

I don't mind the odd chat with people, all but 2 have been polite.
I was searching for a ladies keys and some guy was passed out on the beach with his wife. As i grided along the area i came maybe 1.5m from him and waved my detector in his general direction and told his wife theres no sign of life.
His wife laughed her ass off but he got all pissed off, i told him to have a nice day.
Another time a nutter followed me around teling me i had no right to steal gold from the ocean and telling me to get out. Things got heated, so i said right lets go see security. They told him one day someone will punch your lights out if you keep this up. He was a known local pest.

I get snorkelers following me in the water a well, i dislike that usually but sometimes the eye candy is welcomed haha

I don’t mind people stopping to ask questions. I try to be a good ambassador for the hobby. Last weekend while beach hunting a couple came over to see what i was digging. The wife told me her husband is curious and wanted to see what I had found. After the third scoop I pulled out a flat piece of aluminum. The husband gave it a thorough inspection and told me that they would put it in the trash so I didn’t have to carry it around. Very nice couple.

I don’t mind stopping and have a chat with someone who is curious and interested it’s just part of the equation.
I especially like to take a few moments with other detectorists to compare notes.
So I guess it doesn’t bother me. Unless they scoop up a gold ring at my feet.

It is rare that I am approached by folks when dirt fishing. They might ask as they walk past "Finding anything" A few pennies. And they go on their merry way.

But the beach is a totally different story. And it is usually a bikini clad beauty that feels the need to talk to the old man. I am old enough to be most of them's Grandfather. First thing they do when they get my attention is adjust their bikini top. While I appreciate the view I try to be a gentleman.

They always want to know what I have found. How often and on and on . I usually allow a few minutes and then tell them that I need to get back to detecting as I am not finding anything standing around and talking.

I have dealt with this by just tapping on my headphones and saying "I can't hear you" and make no effort to take them off. Some people give up trying to chat and others just talk A LOT LOUDER, it's kind of funny.
If I am out deep and a kid swims out to ask me what I am doing I will take the time to answer, he put some effort in getting out there...

Back
Top Bottom