Dusting off the Ol' AT Pro - Tips for maintenance?

Jeepfreak81

Hey all,

I've been absent from the forum and mostly from detecting for a few years - life's thrown a number of crazy curve balls at me. But I'm finding myself being interested in getting out there again. I a Garrett AT Pro that I purchased used at a very good price and I used it for a season and then only sporadically since.

My question is - while I sit here in the frozen wasteland that is Northern NH, I'd like to give it a really good once over. Get it back as close to perfect condition as I can.

Aside from cleaning everything - anyone have some tips or things I should be doing while going through this process?

While this is a waterproof detector, only the coil ever gets submerged.

I'm very capable of a teardown if neccesary, I've just never done it on a metal detector before, lots of other gadgets and tools.

Thanks in advance, and I sorta hate I decided at this point in time I wanna get back into this - I've got at least 75 days til I can put a shovel in the ground.

I suggest the following. Can be applied to most makes/models.

1) By all means, give it a nice sponge bath with soap and water

2) Grab a pencil with an eraser, and rub down the battery contacts inside, on the plastic battery holder and also on the battery ends, especially if you are using rechargeables. Oxides tend to build up at these points causing poor connections.

3) Get a tube of silicone grease and apply a thin coating to the "O" ring on the battery cover.

4) Carefully remove the coil and headset connectors, inspect them, lightly clean them with a toothbrush. Also clean out the threaded hole which aligns with the threaded plugs. Apply a thin layer of silicone grease to the rubber "O" ring on each plug. Re-insert the threaded plugs, applying inward pressure while hand tightening them.Be careful to not make them too tight.

5) Remove the coil cover if there is one. Remove all the inside dirt. Wash both the coil and cover well and re-apply the cover.

6) Inspect the integrity of the wires including where they attach to the coil.

7) Remove the plastic bolt through the elephant ears on the coil. Inspect the integrity of the washers. Replace if worn, to maintain a good, locked coil.

Never never never put a hot coil and/or hot electronics box in the cold water after it is hot from being in the sun or hot car. The instantaneous cooling causes a strong vacuum, possibly getting water inside the coil or electronics box. This will ruin your day, and possibly cause permanent damage to you unit.

Thanks for the reply - that sounds like a good plan! I didn't think about the grease on the o-rings so I'll add that to my list.

The hot to cold advice is great for all electronics, the reverse is also true in many cases. I've seen more than one thing get fried from brining it in from freezing temps and plugging it in right away.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom