Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 PM
Diabolik's Avatar
Diabolik Diabolik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 166
Default Old beer bottle?

I found this when I was out detecting today. I donít typically pick up bottles but the bubbles in the glass and the uneven bottom made me think this one might be a little older. The Independent Brewing Co. of Pittsburgh started in the early 1900ís but I have no idea how old this one is. I cannot see any sort of date code. Hoping someone here might be able to shed some light. Thanks!
Attached Images
    

__________________
Simplex+ / Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 06-14-2020, 08:29 PM
Wom 27's Avatar
Wom 27 Wom 27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Media,pa
Posts: 1,947
Default

I donno but it sure is clean !

__________________
AT PRO, 20 Large cents ,Nova ,, Barber Half, 1833 Hard Times token ,"American Digger",oldest-1719 half penny,1730's one Reale Virginia half penny, couple of two centers
The more I detect, the luckier I get !

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 06-14-2020, 09:03 PM
Diabolik's Avatar
Diabolik Diabolik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
I donno but it sure is clean !
I gave it a bath as it was completely full of crud. It is actually in really good shape, It was half buried where I found it. Surprised it never got broken.

__________________
Simplex+ / Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Wom 27's Avatar
Wom 27 Wom 27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Media,pa
Posts: 1,947
Default

Originally Posted by Diabolik View post
I gave it a bath as it was completely full of crud. It is actually in really good shape, It was half buried where I found it. Surprised it never got broken.
Donít know if you already know this. Fill the bottle with sand and water and shake to clean the inside easily. Just a helpful hint

__________________
AT PRO, 20 Large cents ,Nova ,, Barber Half, 1833 Hard Times token ,"American Digger",oldest-1719 half penny,1730's one Reale Virginia half penny, couple of two centers
The more I detect, the luckier I get !

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 06-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Diabolik's Avatar
Diabolik Diabolik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
Donít know if you already know this. Fill the bottle with sand and water and shake to clean the inside easily. Just a helpful hint
No, I didnít know that, but it makes good sense. Thanks!

__________________
Simplex+ / Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 06-14-2020, 11:23 PM
GLASSHOPPER1955's Avatar
GLASSHOPPER1955 GLASSHOPPER1955 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: LaPorte County, Indiana
Posts: 2,955
Default

I'm not familiar with Pennsylvania bottlers much, but from the look of that bottle, I'd date it between 1911-15. They officially added the "h" to the end of "Pittsburg" after 7-19-1911 so there's that.

Here's something else I found at another site:
https://www.antique-bottles.net/medi...er-bottle.236/

__________________
"Digging up the past - one bottle at a time since 1969"

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 06-14-2020, 11:54 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 12,875
Default

The crown top you have is made after 1900.
I like the color and embossing,makes it more valuable 👍.

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800.
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1899 Half dollar (see upper left)

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 06-15-2020, 05:52 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,491
Default

Thatís a nice specimen!

__________________
DFX - Explorer II - Etrac

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:28 AM
Diabolik's Avatar
Diabolik Diabolik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
I'm not familiar with Pennsylvania bottlers much, but from the look of that bottle, I'd date it between 1911-15. They officially added the "h" to the end of "Pittsburg" after 7-19-1911 so there's that.

Here's something else I found at another site:
https://www.antique-bottles.net/medi...er-bottle.236/
Good Catch about the "H" I hadn't even thought of that.

I found this on an old home site that is within a local park. I really have not found or seen anything else that looked this old. I did find a dump area and everything there looked more modern (like 70's) aside from several wheats I dug up.

So I have a question about the bottom of the bottle. Is it common for them to be sloped that badly? I have seen and heard of glass "running" in stuff like window panes over time but I didn't know if that could happen with a bottle too from sitting so long or if the mfg process would allow it to be so far off back then.

__________________
Simplex+ / Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM
GLASSHOPPER1955's Avatar
GLASSHOPPER1955 GLASSHOPPER1955 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: LaPorte County, Indiana
Posts: 2,955
Default

Originally Posted by Diabolik View post
Good Catch about the "H" I hadn't even thought of that.

I found this on an old home site that is within a local park. I really have not found or seen anything else that looked this old. I did find a dump area and everything there looked more modern (like 70's) aside from several wheats I dug up.

So I have a question about the bottom of the bottle. Is it common for them to be sloped that badly? I have seen and heard of glass "running" in stuff like window panes over time but I didn't know if that could happen with a bottle too from sitting so long or if the mfg process would allow it to be so far off back then.
It's the manufacturing process that causes this. It's rather common to see but, yes, this one is a little extreme, lol.

These "crude-ities" are what makes collecting old bottles so much fun.

__________________
"Digging up the past - one bottle at a time since 1969"

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 PM
EmuDetector's Avatar
EmuDetector EmuDetector is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: North VA
Posts: 627
Default

I think everyone has nailed it down. But a good reference site to pass along for dating bottles is this one

https://sha.org/bottle/dating.htm
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 06-15-2020, 07:03 PM
Diabolik's Avatar
Diabolik Diabolik is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
I think everyone has nailed it down. But a good reference site to pass along for dating bottles is this one

https://sha.org/bottle/dating.htm
Absolutely good info, thank you! I bookmarked the page. I need to start paying closer attention to bottles when I see them.

__________________
Simplex+ / Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 06-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,768
Default

Cool bottle! Rare color for a beer bottle. I like the monogram logo on the bottom.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 06-17-2020, 07:05 PM
GLASSHOPPER1955's Avatar
GLASSHOPPER1955 GLASSHOPPER1955 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: LaPorte County, Indiana
Posts: 2,955
Default

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Cool bottle! Rare color for a beer bottle. I like the monogram logo on the bottom.
Yes- we call it "ice blue'. There are Railroad insulators this same color too.

__________________
"Digging up the past - one bottle at a time since 1969"

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.