Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2022, 04:32 PM
hikerdude hikerdude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California High Desert
Posts: 1,314
Default Lost, Five Silver Coins Dug, and then Lost

Well, I am sick. I was metal detecting Huntington Beach, in California, just south of the Pier. I could see where a tractor had cut some sand away, so the rain could run off the walkway. Well knowing coins sink, and seeing the cut went from zero at the sidewalk to nearly two feet out towards the ocean, I jumped right on the spot. First target was a 32, 33, so I dug and to my supprise, a Ben Franklin, and of coarse, I swung back over the hole, and sure enough I was getting the same numbers. In the same hole, out comes a Walking Liberty. Two half dollars in the same hole. Next came a Washington silver, and then a Mercury dime, and finally a Rosevelt silver dime. I was so excited, I put the five coins on a small block wall and took pictures, and then walked away. Yep, I left them there on that wall. I am sick.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-06-2022, 06:02 PM
NCtoad's Avatar
NCtoad NCtoad is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Western NC
Posts: 3,008
Default

Although thatís never happened to me, I feel your pain!

__________________
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Compadre 6Ē coil, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus II 9Ē
Silvers FTY: 2022 (32)
2021(53), 2020(40), 2019(46), 2018(24), 2017(4)

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 PM
kaufenanger's Avatar
kaufenanger kaufenanger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 1,234
Default

Ouch, did you return to look?

__________________
Oldest coins: 1880 IHP, 1757 KG II, 1829 Jamaica Half Penny
Oldest Silver: 1917 Mercury dime, dateless SLQ
Detectors: Garrett AT Pro

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-06-2022, 11:10 PM
jimther's Avatar
jimther jimther is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 2,302
Default

Next time, youíll take the pictures at home, Iíll bet

__________________
USAF Veteran 1969-73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 AM
1715Hunter's Avatar
1715Hunter 1715Hunter is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: High Falls NY
Posts: 154
Default

Originally Posted by hikerdude View post
Well, I am sick. I was metal detecting Huntington Beach, in California, just south of the Pier. I could see where a tractor had cut some sand away, so the rain could run off the walkway. Well knowing coins sink, and seeing the cut went from zero at the sidewalk to nearly two feet out towards the ocean, I jumped right on the spot. First target was a 32, 33, so I dug and to my supprise, a Ben Franklin, and of coarse, I swung back over the hole, and sure enough I was getting the same numbers. In the same hole, out comes a Walking Liberty. Two half dollars in the same hole. Next came a Washington silver, and then a Mercury dime, and finally a Rosevelt silver dime. I was so excited, I put the five coins on a small block wall and took pictures, and then walked away. Yep, I left them there on that wall. I am sick.
Oh, that's terrible. My first ring was a little sterling number that was unusual, a bit large for me. I lost it in a restaurant bathroom..

__________________
Mine Lab GoFind 60, Garrett pointer. Three sterling rings

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-08-2022, 11:13 PM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,823
Default

Too sick to post pics, or you can't bear to even look at them now? Sounds like a fun time before you realized it.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-09-2022, 12:28 AM
ToySoldier's Avatar
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,941
Default

Originally Posted by hikerdude View post
Well, I am sick. I was metal detecting Huntington Beach, in California, just south of the Pier.......................I put the five coins on a small block wall and took pictures, and then walked away. Yep, I left them there on that wall. I am sick.
Let's see the pictures!

__________________
Equinox 800; Explorer II; AT Pro

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:02 PM
KOB's Avatar
KOB KOB is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4,308
Default

Originally Posted by hikerdude View post
Well, I am sick. I was metal detecting Huntington Beach, in California, just south of the Pier. I could see where a tractor had cut some sand away, so the rain could run off the walkway. Well knowing coins sink, and seeing the cut went from zero at the sidewalk to nearly two feet out towards the ocean, I jumped right on the spot. First target was a 32, 33, so I dug and to my supprise, a Ben Franklin, and of coarse, I swung back over the hole, and sure enough I was getting the same numbers. In the same hole, out comes a Walking Liberty. Two half dollars in the same hole. Next came a Washington silver, and then a Mercury dime, and finally a Rosevelt silver dime. I was so excited, I put the five coins on a small block wall and took pictures, and then walked away. Yep, I left them there on that wall. I am sick.
I know the exact spot you are talking about. So you are the 1 posting for a reward of those on craigslist. Bro....forget it. Hope you ain't the 1 posting about all the jewelry off main st.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 01-11-2022, 10:03 PM
yooper69's Avatar
yooper69 yooper69 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Michigan's U.P
Posts: 1,899
Default

Guess they never should of made that stuff legal in your state You wouldn't of done that.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-21-2022, 08:41 PM
7centsworth's Avatar
7centsworth 7centsworth is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,454
Default

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Too sick to post pics, or you can't bear to even look at them now? Sounds like a fun time before you realized it.
That is what I was thinking also.

__________________
Christian Kentucky Boy

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-28-2022, 04:53 AM
hikerdude hikerdude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California High Desert
Posts: 1,314
Default Lost Silver

Originally Posted by KOB View post
I know the exact spot you are talking about. So you are the 1 posting for a reward of those on craigslist. Bro....forget it. Hope you ain't the 1 posting about all the jewelry off main st.
Yep, I'm the one posting on Craigslist. A few days ago, I was cleaning my car, and when digging under the seat, I found a sandwich bag, and to my surprise, there they were. I really thought they were gone forever. I didn't lose them, I just forgot I put them in a separate bag and somehow they slid under the seat. I found them, I could not believe I found them, again. I figured that was a find of a lifetime. Those coins had to of been laying down there since the 50's. A Benjamin Franklin and a Walker in the same hole. Last winter I dug a 1987 silver eagle (999 one oz silver) in Santa Monica, where the rain runoff from the streets made a cut to the ocean. Maybe a mile north of the pier.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 02-26-2022, 06:16 AM
kazacomy's Avatar
kazacomy kazacomy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rockwall, Tx
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by 7centsworth View post
That is what I was thinking also.
Don't be too sick over it. I just pile up my nicer finds and joke about a treasure chest or seeding some parks on day with it all. Maybe I'll write you guys a poem in another 30 years haha. I love the hunt and the excitement, the spoils...I guess we will see one day.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

__________________
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 03-05-2022, 12:35 AM
TheBandit TheBandit is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 210
Default wait what?

I am sorry but I don't believe this story. You did good until the ASE was mentioned. I've never seen anyone have 1 out were it could be lost. I hope I am wrong but the story doesn't jive. Be like me saying I found a 5 dollar American Buffalo. 9999 coin on the beach. Unless it was mounted as jewelry which is usually done with MSD "Morgan's". Please prove me wrong.


Originally Posted by hikerdude View post
Yep, I'm the one posting on Craigslist. A few days ago, I was cleaning my car, and when digging under the seat, I found a sandwich bag, and to my surprise, there they were. I really thought they were gone forever. I didn't lose them, I just forgot I put them in a separate bag and somehow they slid under the seat. I found them, I could not believe I found them, again. I figured that was a find of a lifetime. Those coins had to of been laying down there since the 50's. A Benjamin Franklin and a Walker in the same hole. Last winter I dug a 1987 silver eagle (999 one oz silver) in Santa Monica, where the rain runoff from the streets made a cut to the ocean. Maybe a mile north of the pier.

__________________
Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 250, Pro pointer, Lesche Digger been digging since 1987. 2022 totals 43.82 clad. 1 silver coin. 6 rings, 1 silver earring, 2 silver rings, 1 silver locket pendant. Many mystery items. HH & Dig Everyday.

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 03-24-2022, 07:56 PM
hikerdude hikerdude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California High Desert
Posts: 1,314
Default Ase

Hello, I don't know what an ASE is? I am not very articulate so maybe I made a mistake? I never could see any point in telling a false story. What is an ASE? Edit:
ASE Is that a 999 One Dollar Silver Eagle?
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 03-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,823
Default

Originally Posted by hikerdude View post
Hello, I don't know what an ASE is? I am not very articulate so maybe I made a mistake? I never could see any point in telling a false story. What is an ASE? Edit:
ASE Is that a 999 One Dollar Silver Eagle?
I'm sure he meant the '87 silver eagle round you said you found there last year.
Glad you found your misplaced 5 silvers.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 08-11-2022, 03:01 PM
hikerdude hikerdude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California High Desert
Posts: 1,314
Default Happy Again

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
Although thatís never happened to me, I feel your pain!
Thanks for your imput. Well as it turned out, I found the five coins in a plastic sandwich bag under the passangers seat of my car. I had given up hope. Those coins are special, especially finding them a hundred yeards from the Huntington Beach Pier in California. The were maybe a foot to a foot and a half deep right next to the concrete sidewalk next to the sand. I don't know to post pictures or I would?
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.