Electronic Cigarettes Vaps

slider66

Elite Member
I wanted to post this to everyone who hunts in the water. About a week ago my friend had an ugly incident. We always find lots of the new electronic cigarettes in the water when we hunt. Up until now we have been taking them all out of the water and getting rid of them in the trash. About a week ago one of them started to burn in his pouch while he was in the water. It must have shorted out and caused it to ignite. He realized it and was able to get out and dump his pouch on the beach before it really caused a problem for him. I am just passing this information on to you as I would not want this to happen to anyone else. Stay safe and happy hunting out there.

Thanks for the info. This has crossed my mind a few times while diving with the gopro on my mask.
When mine had it's leak, I did notice the battery was warm. A vap pen is meant to start a small fire internally, I could see what your talking about happening

I think Felix had a story about the vape pens in a thread a week ago... I usually chuck them in my "no-no" finds bag (Trash, shape objects, can slaw, glass) and if it burns, I can swish it in the water.

But them Pens should be in the trash can! Not in the water!

Josh

I think Felix had a story about the vape pens in a thread a week ago...
It was actually Slider's story as he's the pirate I talked to. I just connected the dots with him the last 2 days. We've actually met out there and spoken a few times - he may have known the FMDF connection but I hadn't realized it as I am not a smart man! :lol:

It was actually Slider's story as he's the pirate I talked to. I just connected the dots with him the last 2 days. We've actually met out there and spoken a few times - he may have known the FMDF connection but I hadn't realized it as I am not a smart man! :lol:

It's a small world~~ :laughing:

Josh

most of those I am sure are using a lithium battery system. lithium batteries are awesome, until they become compromised. then you get that cook off.

They are getting as much of a pain as pull tabs. You dont need a medical marijuana card.... you can smell the stuff all over. So i expect to see even more....even throwing them in a trash can could start a fire. I say turn um in to the cops driving those 4 wheelers.....:laughing:

It's really pretty sad. I work at a Rehab and the kids walk around with those things to their lips all day. Because of this, and a general lack of concern for the environment, I see them on the ground everywhere just like cigarettes now. Definitely hate to see them in the water too. Thanks for PSA slider!

Good advice. I usually find 1 per hunt , sometimes 3 or 4. I wear a 3 pouch bag with the main bag in front , covering THE KOB's family jewels. Now , I think I will just leave them. You can't take all the trash anyway....

While we are on the subject of electronic cig's, I'm not a smoker, but: I see that the cheaper disposable ones, are as cheap as $1 each, right ? So I'm assuming that the rechargeable ones are most-often used (to save $$). And a quick & dirty google search tells me that these recharge kinds go from $25 to $150-ish each. Is that right ?

I was hunting with a buddy who smokes the E-cigs. By the time we'd hiked back to the vehicle, he was mumbling and griping that he'd lost his E-cig. He retraced his steps a little bit looking for it, but eventually gave up, because we had to leave. At the time, I asked him "So what ? What's the big deal ? How much do they cost ?" And he'd cited something on the order of $50 that he now out of.

So my question is: Is there any value, on the used market, for these more-expensive models ? Or is that kind of like sipping off someone else's soda bottle, where no one's going to buy used E-cigs ?

While we are on the subject of electronic cig's, I'm not a smoker, but: I see that the cheaper disposable ones, are as cheap as $1 each, right ? So I'm assuming that the rechargeable ones are most-often used (to save $$). And a quick & dirty google search tells me that these recharge kinds go from $25 to $150-ish each. Is that right ?

I was hunting with a buddy who smokes the E-cigs. By the time we'd hiked back to the vehicle, he was mumbling and griping that he'd lost his E-cig. He retraced his steps a little bit looking for it, but eventually gave up, because we had to leave. At the time, I asked him "So what ? What's the big deal ? How much do they cost ?" And he'd cited something on the order of $50 that he now out of.

So my question is: Is there any value, on the used market, for these more-expensive models ? Or is that kind of like sipping off someone else's soda bottle, where no one's going to buy used E-cigs ?

Basically drinking out of that water bottle at the corner of the sidewalk, near the trash can. No one would.

And I don't think they are waterproof by all means, it's literally supposed to start a small flame!

Josh

Basically drinking out of that water bottle at the corner of the sidewalk, near the trash can. No one would.

And I don't think they are waterproof by all means, it's literally supposed to start a small flame!

Josh

I don't know about the cheap disposable models but the older more expensive models work by electricity flowing through a heating element(piece of wire). No flames produced. Just a piece of red hot wire.

I never thought about them getting hot or Catching Fire. I found a couple of them last time I was out they're still in the back of my vehicle in a bucket I think I'll go pull them out. Thanks for the heads up!

Slider

Would that be the same Slider on here that lived in Panama ? Hasn't posted in a long time (about 6 years ) wonder what happened to him.

Elite Member
Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: 02-04-15 07:58 AM
Visitor MessagesAbout MeStatisticsFriendsContact InfoFeedback Score
About slider
Biography
Retired horse rancher from Arizona
My Detectors
White M.X.T.
Other Hobbies
Kayaking,Dirt bike,Exploring the jungle,horse back rideing, Diving to spear Lyon fish.
Occupation
Having fun!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom