1898 Dog License (Tag): SOLD!

Diggum

Elite Member
A few months ago I went with a friend to a site where a demolition was happening. We found some really cool goodies (Seateds, Mercs, and up). I did not get most of those finds under my coil, but I eked out a few goodies!

I had just found a seated half dime when, poking around under the dumpster that was set up to take the refuse away, I heard what I thought might be another seated (a TID of about 18 on the Nox). I dug carefully, and wide, to make sure that I didn't damage the coin. When I turned the plug over, I looked for silver, but didn't find it. Readjusting my expectations, I noted a thin brass metal plate. I was a little disappointed at it not being silver, until I wiped away the soil and saw that it had writing on it. At first, I thought it was one of those number tags from a mailbox, because it had a two digit number stamped on it. A little further cleaning, and I realized what I had: A pre-1900s dog tag!

Knowing that these can be quite valuable, I was pretty excited that I found this! I was put in touch with some really great people as I tried to learn more about this tag, and I was told that it predated the earliest known tag from this town by over 30 years, which was pretty cool! Eventually I put it up on eBay and sold it for $331. Not a bad return for the fun I had! Win-Win!

Attachments

• 20210318_095149s.jpg
    20210318_095149s.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 20210318_095149_soldAnon.jpg
    20210318_095149_soldAnon.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 240
Well seeing as how you are from the west coast (CA, @ Sacramento area, right ?). So I'm assuming yours is a CA tag. And seeing as how pre-1900 dog-tags are rarer on this side of the Mississippi, then I can see how this could carry a collector value (Esp. if it's from a small-towns here). Which I see you've blocked the city name off your ID.

Based on the bid value, then no doubt it's in the hands of collectors who document such things. As for the others hunting that site who got seateds & merc's: Isn't it ironic when the day comes, that a dog tag is the more valuable sought-after find , rather than seateds ? Congratz !

Way way cool Jon! I don’t know which one I’d rather have found, seated or old dog license... you did both! Bam! Congrats :)

That’s one of those things I’d chalk up to a cool find and add to my collection never knowing it was worth anything. Nice find, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way way cool Jon! I don’t know which one I’d rather have found, seated or old dog license... you did both! Bam! Congrats :)
Thanks, Jeff! It was a super cool day of hunting!

That’s one of those things I’d chalk up to a cool find and add to my collection, but I'd tag never knowing it was worth anything. Nice find, congrats.
Thanks, grf1868! I would have probably done the same except that I'd previously read a dog tag thread on this forum that clued me in, and my hunting buddy that day was very helpful with information and contacts, too!

Well seeing as how you are from the west coast (CA, @ Sacramento area, right ?). So I'm assuming yours is a CA tag. And seeing as how pre-1900 dog-tags are rarer on this side of the Mississippi, then I can see how this could carry a collector value (Esp. if it's from a small-towns here). Which I see you've blocked the city name off your ID.

Based on the bid value, then no doubt it's in the hands of collectors who document such things. As for the others hunting that site who got seateds & merc's: Isn't it ironic when the day comes, that a dog tag is the more valuable sought-after find , rather than seateds ? Congratz !
Thanks, Tom! Yes, it's in the hands of a serious collector of these beauties. I'm glad it didn't just end up in the scrap pile, and is instead with someone who has a passion for this kind of relic.

Cool find and interesting story! Congrats!

Thanks, holelottafun! Don't pass up those tags! I've learned that collectors even buy more modern tags if there is something that fits in their area of interest (sequential numbers, all same number, number matches date, first of series, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom