Bottles from an old town dump

Krakken

My father owns a small deer hunting property near a tiny town in Central Texas. One corner of the property was used as the town dump more than half a century ago.

Here are some bottles (and an insulator) I picked yesterday:

big526bottles.png

doubletriangle1.png
mentholatum1.png

frenchs2.png
gebhardteagle4.png

idiamond1.png
medicine1.png

octogonmilk2.png
insulator1.png

A full blogpost (with more detail and pictures) is available at: Don't Stop Digging!

Thanks. I have really only scratched the surface of that place. All of these finds were eyeball finds I picked up off of the ground, and I only brought back complete bottles. I found 3 or 4 more mustard jars as well, but left those there for "next time". :)

You need a wire or metal rod probe to find them bottles under the dirt. Good luck and get a metal detector if you don't already have one.

You need a wire or metal rod probe to find them bottles under the dirt. Good luck and get a metal detector if you don't already have one.

I have a fisher f2... says so right in my signature.

Nice looking bottles! I enjoy finding old bottles as much as using my MD. Only problem is they take up a lot of space in my tiny shed :lol:

I have some great old pop bottles but didn't think anyone would be interested. I give them away to people who like old items that bring them back to childhood or bring back a good memory. I've had old Pepsi, coke, dr.pepper, and some other cool ones in great condition. The best I've had was a Pepsi bottle in Yellow and red before they changed it to red, white, and blue in WWII. The yellow was just about all faded but you can tell it was yellow. Now I'm gonna have to try and get pictures of them. The yellow and red looks really sharp. I wish when they do there throw-back cans they would do them in those old colors and stickering.

He is saying that if you get a thin rigid metal rod to probe the soil with it is easy to locate bottles, because the glass is uniquely hard compared to the rest of the soil. When you hit glass, you know it. They make special ones with milled tips that won't put a sharp edge against the glass and scratch/break it. Just don't push down to hard 8)

I have a fisher f2... says so right in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom