Newbie here

Jmiller412

Hey everyone,
Just got into the hobby over the weekend
Took my 11 year old son to the local flea market and picked up a detector
Nothing fancy, it's a winbest pro by barska
He paid $1 for it
Get it home and put some batteries in and it works good
Sunday morning rolls around and he's begging to go hunting so I take him to some old trails in used to run in 20 years ago and we got a great find
First tone goes off and its a slaymaker lock
He was kinda bummed so we keep going for a few more and dig another tone and its a 1912 barber dime
Now I'm hooked and need to get a detector for myself

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

.....a 1912 Barber dime is a fantastic start, congrats !!!!
(many are still looking for their first Barber dime !)

I was not familiar with the Winbest Pro so I found a video about it -

$1 for a priceless moment and memory. I would say that you and your son got the deal of the century. Metal Detecting is a great tool for teaching history and having fun while doing it. Congrats on the finds as well.:D

Welcome and congrats on your and your sons new hobby! While you're researching what detector you want, start looking into places to detect. It's also generally a good idea to practice recovering targets on your own property to practice leaving the spot unnoticeable.

Halfway down the page there's forums for advice on purchase and one for accessories. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to start-out with the best ($$) of everything. Start with something inexpensive, but of reasonable quality. Your sons recent purchase is a prime example.

Good luck!

I would like to say welcome to the Forum and to the Hobby of metal detecting. Congratulations on your fine. I have been metal detecting for about 6 years off and on and have yet to find a barber. Enjoy all the time you can with your son and Happy Hunting

Thanks for the welcome everyone,
I've done some research on the area we found the dime and I have a good feeling there could be plenty more
Its an old homestead dating back to 1830
I'll be out this weekend for sure

Back
Top Bottom