Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 10-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Civil War Skirmish Sites

I have spent some time researching some skirmish sites about 2 hours away. The spots are showing to be farm land today off of a road, off of a road and way far from civilization, other than the homes that appear to belong to the farmer.
I ll be heading that way on my own, any advice on getting permission? or past experiences being out in the middle of no where hunting?
Also, Ill be utilizing the Ace 400. Anyone have any pros/cons how it performs in farmed areas for war related metals?

Thanks for any input you can provide!!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

Topography played a lot in tactics buddy. Early war they marched out to get shot at. Later they didn't. If you know the lines look behind the hills for discarded things. Look in front for shot stuff. Who knows what you'll find til you put the coil on the ground & pound away. Good luck & HH.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

Just knock on the door. Be courteous. Introduce your self and tell them its your hobby and could I/you get permission to metal detect the're property. Make sure to cover every hole even in fields. don't leave any trash. Good luck

Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

First thing I would do is get on a GIS system and find out the owner's name. It is always better to address them by their name when they answer the door. It at least buys you a little time while he tries to figure out how you knew. I like to talk history to them and ask them if they will help you find out what happened on their property. By the time you get around to asking to metal detect, you are usually becoming friends. And friends don't usually say no to friends.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by duggap View post
First thing I would do is get on a GIS system and find out the owner's name. It is always better to address them by their name when they answer the door. It at least buys you a little time while he tries to figure out how you knew. I like to talk history to them and ask them if they will help you find out what happened on their property. By the time you get around to asking to metal detect, you are usually becoming friends. And friends don't usually say no to friends.
Good approach.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Supporter

Not to be a buzzkill, but harvest time is the worst possible time to bother a farmer to ask permission. I'd do my research, and catch up with landowners (farmers) on their less busy time.

I know this thread is 2 weeks old, so if you've not ask yet, good luck!

Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 AM
Elite Member

Go to Staples or a similar print shop and invest about $15and have some personalized business cards printed and present one when introducing yourself. They will make you appear legit and serious as opposed to someone who simply wants to dig holes in their property. Believe me, they have a very positive effect on people and will improve your chances.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM

not to mention..... harvest time goes hand in hand with early hunting season. farmers in our area are working in the fields.... while their sons and grandchildren are sitting in tree stands.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:05 AM

I have been in a similar situation. Promising site, 2 hrs away, no guarantee to find anything and no guarantee on permission. What i would do, is download Land Glide for your smart phone, super helpful in tracking down property owners and showing their property lines. Also, honestly, if you have no contact with them prior and door knock, once the conversation gets started find a way to mention how far you drove in hopes of finding something today, but be humble, the owners interest may peak and more than likely they will let you hunt. As always be SUPER respectful and honest, and it defiantly doesn't hurt to offer up a couple finds to them as a token of appreciation. Good Luck!