Tuesday Morning Novice Beach Hunt (pics)

CascoBayHunter

I posted a thread last week asking for tips on beach hunting. I was getting a lot of false positives and was getting discouraged. I went out today at 5:30 am and set the sensitivity to the lowest point and put the other dial to detect all metals. I dug up everything and found mostly junk, but at least all of the hits were real today. The most annoying one was a 12 inch deep rock with metal ebmedded in it. Here's a pic of what I got. Thanks for the tips, looking forward to going out again hopefully tomorrow morning. I've only got a few days left this year to hunt.

1 penny, a bunch of can parts, 3 bottle caps, metal wires, 3 natural metal chunks, one copper round thing, a large maritime link and some random metal objects.

This was the deep rock with metal in it:
MetalInRock.jpg

This was the copper object (I think it is copper because of the green hue)
Copper-Object.jpg

What looks like natural chunks of metal:
Metal-Rocks.jpg

The entire stash of mostly junk, at least I cleaned up the beach a little and I won't dig up this junk next time:
F-Beach-Hunt-7-27-10.jpg

I had a lot of fun and it was nice to get up early to watch the sun come up over the beach.

-CBH

Glad you were able to find some targets, even if it's a lot of junk, you're making progress, it should get better each time out! Good job.

Well at least all the signals were real:yes:better finds will follow ,stick with it.
What machine are you using ?PI ? Good luck and HH

Thanks!

Thanks all for your support and encouragement. I use the bounty hunter quick draw II. I've only used it about 4 times total over the past 3 years but really got excited about taking it out this year. I am going to hit another beach tomorrow morning, much more widely used. Any tips on not pulling up so many cans? Many peoepl drink and discard their cans and tabs on the beach and today I spent most of my time pulling up jumk. It was still very fun though.

CBH

thats pretty good

well im pretty new to water hunting as well and i dont do beach hunting as much as id like. If id had any advice it would be to take your time and really go slow. Get a good feeling for the sound your detector makes. Dont get discouraged and dig it all!! As far as your hunt goes that bell is pretty kool, and that second pic maybe metaled medal? Does lead sound alot different on your machine than say the bell rang as? i dont know alot about your detector but with some time you will master it!

Happy Hunting:D

Hi CascoBayHunter,

One thing I would recommend if you haven't already is purchasing a hand-held pinpointer detector. They can be a little pricey, but they really help you find what you're looking for in the hole. Pretty much everytime I dig now when I get a target, I end up finding something. Now finding something other than junk, is another matter.....:lol:

On the QDII, try these settings:

- SENSITIVITY - about 1 o'clock
- DISC/NOTCH - pointing at DISC on the dial
using AUTO NOTCH mode.

GunDog, thanks I will give that a shot. I went out on another early morning hunt today and found a few cool things pics will be up shortly. What a fun hobby!

CBH

some weird looking stuff you got....looks like melted metal.. ah chin up kid...you find some good stuff soon.

This Morning's Finds

I hit a new beach this morning and found this stuff. I'll be back later tonight to write more. Exciting.

SB-072810.jpg

-CBH

GunDog settings makes more sense....why are you hunting in all metal in the dry sand! :confused: You want your settings to be at pull tabs and up, Forget the Iron! Don't know if you have your owner's manual, But here it is....read it over and over again that's what I do, Also in the manual, Check the settings on Jewelry hunting with Auto Notch lots of info for beach hunting and don't forget to read the Troubleshoot Guide...try those setting on your next hunt! ;) g/l

http://www.metaldetectors.com/images/pdf/FIT009.pdf

Update

I hit the beach this morning again early and covered the white sand area. I used GunDog's settings. I was getting far less hits and I pulled up one quarter and one nickle. One pulltab set off the detector. Overall, it was much less digging and more actual finds but I wonder if I missed anything. I was certainly pleased to miss the bottle caps and cans though.

And this morning my cousin saw another gentleman heading to the beach with a metal detector after I left so I guess it is not as unpicked as I thought. There was a big storm last night so maybe that was the tigger.

Any suggestions on which part of the beach to detect after a storm? The beach seem smostly picked over at this point.

I hit the beach this morning again early and covered the white sand area. I used GunDog's settings. I was getting far less hits and I pulled up one quarter and one nickle. One pulltab set off the detector. Overall, it was much less digging and more actual finds but I wonder if I missed anything. I was certainly pleased to miss the bottle caps and cans though.

And this morning my cousin saw another gentleman heading to the beach with a metal detector after I left so I guess it is not as unpicked as I thought. There was a big storm last night so maybe that was the tigger.

Any suggestions on which part of the beach to detect after a storm? The beach seem smostly picked over at this point.

If you are finding pull tabs and nickels, That's good because gold falls in the some range....work near the high tide line, try working the wet sand again with your new setting....it's going to start driven you nuts again so back off on SENS., Even if you hear a little falseing that's ok, You will still hear your target.

Back
Top Bottom