Finally was BUSTED.

Chipk

Elite Member
Sunday I was cruising the streets of Jacksonville, Florida’s historical area in the neighborhood called Riverside. Jacksonville mostly burned to the ground in 1901 and this was one of the first spots to rebuild. Huge brick homes and large sweeping lawns, this is where the gentry lived and where greatly prized permissions are found and valuable finds live.

Well I was seeking curbstrips and I stumbled onto a likely site. Granite blocks made up the curbs and the sidewalks were carefully placed pavers, and being at the corner of a major street and a sleepy side street it was just what I wanted.

Plus there was no grass. Instead it was covered with dead leaves. I jumped in. Soon a car slowly drove past me and pulled over. A man in his 40s, well dressed and with an attitude of a lord addressing a lowly serf approached and asked if he could help me. I looked him in the eyes and said NO. I smiled and went back to trying to locate a coin scraped from the ground.

Apparently that was not the answer he expected nor the reaction he wanted so he pressed his attack and demanded to know what I was doing. I told him and he asked if I had the owners’ permission. I smiled at him and said No, nor domI need it and continued in my efforts.

He became outraged and demanded that I stop whatever I was doing and leave immediately. I simply said No in an equally forceful tone. Apparently His Majesty thought that just because he lives in this area that somehow makes him a better man. Not to brag but I probably own more homes than he does, including waterfront and my stock portfolio is bigger than his. But he threw a little tantrum and started threatening me. I I offered to show him what and how I was doing it and he refused in a particularly nasty way, so I just turned my back on him and ignored him. Behind my back he got his phone and started calling people to report me. I heard him say I was parked in people’s grass and digging huge holes everywhere.

Then he disappeared.

Well for 20 minutes I was alone and I thought it was over. Then TWO police cars cruised up. I put my equipment down and walked over to greet them. A tall ex Marine got out of the first car and then the second cop car door swung open and suddenly angels started singing in the Heavens.

A tall, young blond Goddess stepped from the second cruiser. YOWZA!! Things were suddenly looking up.

NOW I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING FRISKED. I was in lust.

As Miss Perfection watched I told them I would get my ID from my car. I got my license and a couple of business cards. If you don’t have business cards, GET THEM! They are well worth the expense.

So I explained what was going on and I explained how I was doing it. I showed them where I had been working and they remarked on how neat it was. Then I showed them the trash I had harvested along with 3 wheat pennies (‘19, ‘51D, ‘53D).

Suggestion to all: never completely empty your finds pouch! I always keep some nasty looking nails, sharp metal, broken glass and a handful of plain trash like gum wrappers, straws, etc.. These types of objects in your possessions effectively show what a good citizen you are.

They then went to confront my nemesis and returned shortly. They did ask me to move my car across the street which I did. They thanked me and told me to go back to what I was doing. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear what they told Prince Charming. I assume they told him to leave me alone; that what I was doing was legit and legal.

Well as I watched Miss Police Academy 2020 wiggle her way back to her car I was was tempted to ask her about being frisked but changed my mind. After all, I often drop the soap in the shower....

Attachments

• B0550CF9-CD48-4661-B771-BE05713DA641.jpg
    B0550CF9-CD48-4661-B771-BE05713DA641.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 564
Enjoyed the story Gary, you painted it quite well. Could visualize everything. I wonder when you looked at her did she know what you were thinking ? I have had several run-ins with the local police, and always a positive outcome. HH Mark

Were you hunting in front of Kingtotsalots house? :laughing: sorry to hear that, alot of people feel the need to play the hero. 9/10 times they have NO idea what they are talking about. Keep doing your thing Chip, whatever your doing is working, based on your finds. Good luck out there, and happy hunting!

Good story. And this is exactly why I do most of my hunting at night these days. So peaceful. So serene :laughing:

Funny story. I don't know where you're located but be careful of dropping soap ! Especically around hot cops. You never know... Out here there is a sporting goods chain , it's called Dicks sporting goods. Years ago it used to be called Chick's.
So , overnight it went from Chicks to Dicks !
You've been forewarned soapdropper...

...be careful of dropping soap ! ...

No doubt you are alluding to the old jailhouse drop-soap-in-shower gig. Eh ?

I know you're just trying to be funny, but skittish folks read such fears that we md'rs are "... at imminent risk of ". And no matter how much you tell them that no one "gets a ticket " or "goes to jail " , for hunting innocuous parks, curbstrips, etc... , they somehow think it's imminent.

So... it's almost dangerous to even joke about it . Instead, like the OP's story shows: just gotta grow a thick skin for occasional kill-joys.

Did one of yall really ask if she knew what he was thinking. If she is the beauty that was described you better believe she knew exactly what he was thinking. By the way. A great write up.

Sunday I was cruising the streets of Jacksonville, Florida’s historical area in the neighborhood called Riverside. Jacksonville mostly burned to the ground in 1901 and this was one of the first spots to rebuild. Huge brick homes and large sweeping lawns, this is where the gentry lived and where greatly prized permissions are found and valuable finds live.

Well I was seeking curbstrips and I stumbled onto a likely site. Granite blocks made up the curbs and the sidewalks were carefully placed pavers, and being at the corner of a major street and a sleepy side street it was just what I wanted.

Plus there was no grass. Instead it was covered with dead leaves. I jumped in. Soon a car slowly drove past me and pulled over. A man in his 40s, well dressed and with an attitude of a lord addressing a lowly serf approached and asked if he could help me. I looked him in the eyes and said NO. I smiled and went back to trying to locate a coin scraped from the ground.

Apparently that was not the answer he expected nor the reaction he wanted so he pressed his attack and demanded to know what I was doing. I told him and he asked if I had the owners’ permission. I smiled at him and said No, nor domI need it and continued in my efforts.

He became outraged and demanded that I stop whatever I was doing and leave immediately. I simply said No in an equally forceful tone. Apparently His Majesty thought that just because he lives in this area that somehow makes him a better man. Not to brag but I probably own more homes than he does, including waterfront and my stock portfolio is bigger than his. But he threw a little tantrum and started threatening me. I I offered to show him what and how I was doing it and he refused in a particularly nasty way, so I just turned my back on him and ignored him. Behind my back he got his phone and started calling people to report me. I heard him say I was parked in people’s grass and digging huge holes everywhere.

Then he disappeared.

Well for 20 minutes I was alone and I thought it was over. Then TWO police cars cruised up. I put my equipment down and walked over to greet them. A tall ex Marine got out of the first car and then the second cop car door swung open and suddenly angels started singing in the Heavens.

A tall, young blond Goddess stepped from the second cruiser. YOWZA!! Things were suddenly looking up.

NOW I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING FRISKED. I was in lust.

As Miss Perfection watched I told them I would get my ID from my car. I got my license and a couple of business cards. If you don’t have business cards, GET THEM! They are well worth the expense.

So I explained what was going on and I explained how I was doing it. I showed them where I had been working and they remarked on how neat it was. Then I showed them the trash I had harvested along with 3 wheat pennies (‘19, ‘51D, ‘53D).

Suggestion to all: never completely empty your finds pouch! I always keep some nasty looking nails, sharp metal, broken glass and a handful of plain trash like gum wrappers, straws, etc.. These types of objects in your possessions effectively show what a good citizen you are.

They then went to confront my nemesis and returned shortly. They did ask me to move my car across the street which I did. They thanked me and told me to go back to what I was doing. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear what they told Prince Charming. I assume they told him to leave me alone; that what I was doing was legit and legal.

Well as I watched Miss Police Academy 2020 wiggle her way back to her car I was was tempted to ask her about being frisked but changed my mind. After all, I often drop the soap in the shower....

i have met people like that before while hunting "curb strips" and explained that i was "legal" and if they didn't believe me, then go check it out downtown.."never bothered me again!"..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Great story.
What kind of " business cards" ?

I have 'business cards' for detecting, but I call them 'calling cards' instead. I don't want people to get the idea I'm selling what I find, or that I charge a fee. (Clarification: I don't do either and very often give items to property owners.)

Last edited:
I have 'business cards' for detecting, but I call them 'calling cards' instead. I don't want people to get the idea I'm selling what I find, or that I charge a fee.

If you don't want people to know that you sell or charge a fee , what do you put on your cards ? Something like "call me " ?

Haha love the story. Good for you for sticking to your "guns" and not giving in to his majesty's demands.

If you don't want people to know that you sell or charge a fee , what do you put on your cards ? Something like "call me " ?

To be clear, I don't charge a fee nor do I sell what I find. I'm not saying I won't ever find a 500 dollar ring that I'll sell, but it hasn't happened yet and it's not why I'm out there hunting.

Anyway, my calling card says metal detecting is my hobby and has an email and phone number I set up solely for detecting. The reverse has answers to common questions/concerns.

Business card examples

Great story.
What kind of " business cards" ?

Bill,

The thread in the link below has a few examples of these cards (in the later replies) that you might find useful as you think about doing one for yourself.
I use www.Vistaprint.com for my own card and our MTHA club's cards. They have lots of templates and you can play around with fonts, text placement, adding logos or images etc. Just be sure you proof it a couple of times before finalizing an order. Prices are good too.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=253424

Full disclosure: one of those is mine.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom