Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Supporter

Default How To Clean Silver Coins - Electrolysis Video

I've seen quite a few posts asking how to clean silver coins. There are many methods and as most of us know, cleaning can cause excess damage and ruin potential value in especially key date coins.

But for those that just want a nice looking coin and don't plan on reselling it, but rather just have a nice looking coin for the showcase, I've included my video on a DIY electrolysis setup and process. If anyone has questions, feel free to chime in!

Old 12-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Elite Member

Maybe your coin and spoon had problems of some kind but I easily clean my silver coins and sterling with toothpaste and a gentle rubbing with my fingers. On some that are stubborn I use a toothbrush. They come out looking nice.
Thanks for the video.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Typically all I need to do is give the coin a rinse under water and the dirt comes off easily. At most I will give it a light brushing with a soft brush. Electrolysis is more necessary when cleaning silver items that came out of salt water, as they become heavily tarnished and encrusted.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

I wet the coin, cover with baking soda and rub between my thumb and forefinger and almost immediately it comes clean and sparkling.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for the video. I have a 1/2 dime or trime I want to clean up.