4 silvers in 2 days of hunting

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
On Friday I got out in the rain for a hunt with Buellride. Surprisingly, almost out of the gate as we started off on the curbstrips, I recovered a Rosie. Great way to start the day. We were able to secure a couple of permissions early on, but they were not too productive for me other than a few wheats and a .50 caliber bullet. Paul was able to extract a late vintage Merc from one of them. As we were again prospecting for a new permission I was swinging over another curbstrip and lo and behold, I popped a Barber dime out. Amazingly it was only 2 -3 inches deep. Looks like whoever passed through there before (and we know there had been previous detectorists) just didn't cover the ground as well as they should.
Today I went out with my other detecting partner. We got a permission right off the bat and I went to work. Shortly I had recovered a Rosie at about 6". Not much else to be found so we moved on to another permission. It appeared that this yard might have been sodded some time in the past, but they must have put a thin layer of topsoil down for the grass. I got a faint bouncy 26 - 30 signal and dug a deep plug through the thin layer of topsoil and sod netting. The pinpointer said the object was still deep in the bottom of the hole. After a few additional scoops I had a very nice 1911S Barber dime in hand. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how nice the coin was and just popped it into my pouch. Sadly, I probably turned a $100 dollar coin into a $10 coin due to the scratches from being in the pouch with other coins and dirt. I just never expected to find a coin that actually had some possible numismatic value. A few feet away I got a deep low signal and was able to recover a slick crusty "V" nickel. Really had to look hard to see the profile of Liberty on the obverse. I also collected a couple of wheats out of this yard.
At another permission several houses away I was also able to score a small sterling ring which was a very pleasant surprise. All in all a couple of very successful hunts for me. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Attachments

• 20210917_151200.jpg
    20210917_151200.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20210919_170720.jpg
    20210919_170720.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 180
Congrats on the shiny and wheats RoS. Looks like you had 2 great outings with friends. Well done. Barber dimes seem to showing up alot up ere lately. I got lucky on Friday and hit 2 in the same hole. Good luck, Mark

All I can say is "the ground is softening up!!!" :D

Good to hear from you Paul! Not much on my end other than my last hunt with MTJosh. My local buddy from Corvallis MT has gotten 13 silvers in his last two hunts... might be cleaning the place out!

Congrats on the shiny and wheats RoS. Looks like you had 2 great outings with friends. Well done. Barber dimes seem to showing up alot up ere lately. I got lucky on Friday and hit 2 in the same hole. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark. Best hunts are when you're able to share the experience with someone else. 2 Barbers in the same hole is amazing.

Nice Gale! A pair of Barber Dimes plus other shiny and wheats make for a nice rewarding pair of hunts!

Thanks David. Still not quite up to Missoula standards, but I'll take it.

All I can say is "the ground is softening up!!!" :D

Hopefully will make our future hunts more productive. However, the forecast for the next week or so is still pretty dry.

I like the barbers and the ring.:yes:

Thx MA. I really like finding the rings. So much variety.

Back
Top Bottom