ordered a Cen-Tech pinpointer but.....

GKL

Forum Supporter
First I went by a "Harbor Freight" in person Monday to pick up a Cen-Tech pinpointer but they said it was not something they kept in stock on the shelf.

So I figured I'll order one from the Harbor Freight web site, small item, how long could it take ?

......TEN DAYS ! :waiting:

It is not due to arrive till next Thursday after ordering it on the 25th !

So IF you order anything from Harbor Freight - be prepared to wait !

(I guess I got spoiled by Amazon Prime shipping speeds)

I was about ready to finally start trying out my new BH detector, but I was hoping to have my pinpointer first as I had read some posts where people said they will not hunt without a pinpointer, that it makes that much of a difference.

Should I wait for the pinpointer, or just try hunting without one for now ?

Congrats on your new Pinpointer. You can go ahead and detect without it, but you will have cleaner looking plugs, and find targets faster with it, but you don't "have" to have one, but boy do they sure speed up the recovery process.

First I went by a "Harbor Freight" in person Monday to pick up a Cen-Tech pinpointer but they said it was not something they kept in stock on the shelf.

So I figured I'll order one from the Harbor Freight web site, small item, how long could it take ?

......TEN DAYS ! :waiting:

It is not due to arrive till next Thursday after ordering it on the 25th !

So IF you order anything from Harbor Freight - be prepared to wait !

(I guess I got spoiled by Amazon Prime shipping speeds)

I was about ready to finally start trying out my new BH detector, but I was hoping to have my pinpointer first as I had read some posts where people said they will not hunt without a pinpointer, that it makes that much of a difference.

Should I wait for the pinpointer, or just try hunting without one for now ?

Go ahead and get your hunt on! Pinpointers just make it easier to actually find quickly after locating the target. Nothing your detector can't do without sweeping over and over again to locate it move as you dig it. Pinpointer is just a mini detector, we get tired of standing...kneeling...standing...kneeling...etc. It'll only be a few days, and that's good practice!

Congrats on your new Pinpointer. You can go ahead and detect without it, but you will have cleaner looking plugs, and find targets faster with it, but you don't "have" to have one, but boy do they sure speed up the recovery process.

Go ahead and get your hunt on! Pinpointers just make it easier to actually find quickly after locating the target. Nothing your detector can't do without sweeping over and over again to locate it move as you dig it. Pinpointer is just a mini detector, we get tired of standing...kneeling...standing...kneeling...etc. It'll only be a few days, and that's good practice!

I hunted for months without one...... but it does make recovery quicker!!

Thanks for all the feedback, so it does really speed things up, but at least I'll have some non-pinpointer hunting to compare it to and see the difference y'all are talking about after I it arrives.

I had been waiting to start for a while, got delayed by a combination of things, some busy days, then exceptionally super hot days, then I had an extremely painful infected tooth that took the energy out of me till the infection cleared up and I got it pulled, and waiting on the pinpointer.

At least I've been able to learn a lot here while waiting to start (hopefully tomorrow) but it will finally be nice when I can actually start posting some finds ! :waiting:

If I can make a recommendation? Try kids woodchip playgrounds like city parks or elementary schools for practice or sanded volleyball pits first. Maybe even your own yard before going out and digging holes in public places. Learn how to dig properly and then replace the sand/woodchips before trying to dig plugs in real dirt.

These places will be easier for you without a pinpointer for now. Practice to fill the hole back so it looks like it hasn't been disturbed at all (wet dirt in first, dry dirt on top of that and then spread the woodchips back over).

Not picking on you, but many careless detectorists just go digging everywhere without recovering their holes and it makes the rest of us look bad. When the public does see us and we do things right, they don't mind us being there and appreciate our extra efforts to cover our tracks.

Also keep in mind some targets are so freaking tiny but sound off hard on different machines. My machine is especially fond of pants rivets, and they are tiny and colored exact to match the dirt. Almost impossible to see with just the eyes.

If I can make a recommendation? Try kids woodchip playgrounds like city parks or elementary schools for practice or sanded volleyball pits first. Maybe even your own yard before going out and digging holes in public places. Learn how to dig properly and then replace the sand/woodchips before trying to dig plugs in real dirt.

These places will be easier for you without a pinpointer for now. Practice to fill the hole back so it looks like it hasn't been disturbed at all (wet dirt in first, dry dirt on top of that and then spread the woodchips back over).

Not picking on you, but many careless detectorists just go digging everywhere without recovering their holes and it makes the rest of us look bad. When the public does see us and we do things right, they don't mind us being there and appreciate our extra efforts to cover our tracks.

Also keep in mind some targets are so freaking tiny but sound off hard on different machines. My machine is especially fond of pants rivets, and they are tiny and colored exact to match the dirt. Almost impossible to see with just the eyes.

Thanks, appreciate the ides.

Don't worry, I am very intent on not making detectorists look bad, I am going to get a lot of practice properly digging plugs in my own 1 1/2 acre yard first.

(I wonder if having a strong magnet could grab any suspected rivets)

Thanks, appreciate the ides.

Don't worry, I am very intent on not making detectorists look bad, I am going to get a lot of practice properly digging plugs in my own 1 1/2 acre yard first.

(I wonder if having a strong magnet could grab any suspected rivets)

A magnet is a good Idea it will pick up small pieces of iron in holes to clear the hole a little better. and enjoy the hobby

I use the Centech, pretty much the entire 5 years or so I've been detecting. I did use the best pinpointer of the time (Garrett ProPointer), but it was prone to failure, gave false signals all the time. Customer service was amazing, but the sent a replacement with the same flaw, and was useless about 6 months later. Never sent it back, for a second chance a getting one that actually worked, just stuck with the Centech, never fails, still going strong, does what I really need. The Centech isn't perfect though, not as simple to use, nothing automatic about it. Takes a little while to learn to set the threshold (trigger point), to get best depth. Need to check and see if it still set right occasionally. The case isn't really sturdy, have to be careful. It's really more of a wand, as I suspect most pinpointers are intended. Many people think the more expensive ones are probes (shove them deep in the dirt). Never could bring myself to abuse my $127.50 ProPointer like some do, guess it really didn't matter in the end...

There are a few good threads here about modifying the Centech. I was ready to fix mine, before it arrived, before I put the first battery in, I had it opened up. Replaced the switch, didn't like the idea of a pushbutton you had to keep pressed while using. The beeper is very loud, didn't want it to alert every on around, that I found something interesting (come watch my glory, ask bunch of questions). So I replaced the beeper with a vibrating motor out of a pager. Didn't cost me anything, I do electronics as a hobby, and salvage parts. The modifications don't really require and special skills, little soldering.

You can learn to pinpoint with your BH, and know with in a n inch or two, where your target is. I plant a small plastic stake right over my target, as I'm setting down my detector, so I don't loose sight, or get confused, as I breakout the digging tools. I don't mess with the pinpointer, until after I dug the plug, don't always need it, target is visible. I always grab my detector, stand up, rescan the plug, and the hole, in hopes for more, or atleast something better than the target I retrieved.

Pinpointers do help speed things up, takes a lot of time, lots of plugs and gouged targets, before you learn the skills of pinpointing with you main detector, but it's a good skill to have. There are a lot of targets, which have a potential value, much greater, than melt value of the metal. Some people don't care, rather just go for volume melt, and rather not know. Personally, I'd feel bad, gouging something really nice, in my haste.

The Centech is a good value, cheap and reliable. Might not be the fastest, fanciest, easiest, but you won't cry over losing it, breaking it. Took about two weeks from the day I sent in my Garrett, until I received the replacement...

Another good reason for a handheld, there are sharp things in the dirt, so less contact (groping around) you do, less chance of getting poked, scratch, or cut. I don't like wearing gloves, but they could help some, but have to be pretty heavy duty to stop it all.

Like Harvey said ^, make sure to resweep your holes before filling them back. You never know if there is another item just under the target your detector picked out. Many older targets have been found right under signaled targets. It sucks to fill in a hole and then sweep over it again and something else is down there you just buried.

I use the Centech, pretty much the entire 5 years or so I've been detecting. I did use the best pinpointer of the time (Garrett ProPointer), but it was prone to failure, gave false signals all the time. Customer service was amazing, but the sent a replacement with the same flaw, and was useless about 6 months later. Never sent it back, for a second chance a getting one that actually worked, just stuck with the Centech, never fails, still going strong, does what I really need. The Centech isn't perfect though, not as simple to use, nothing automatic about it. Takes a little while to learn to set the threshold (trigger point), to get best depth. Need to check and see if it still set right occasionally. The case isn't really sturdy, have to be careful. It's really more of a wand, as I suspect most pinpointers are intended. Many people think the more expensive ones are probes (shove them deep in the dirt). Never could bring myself to abuse my $127.50 ProPointer like some do, guess it really didn't matter in the end...

There are a few good threads here about modifying the Centech. I was ready to fix mine, before it arrived, before I put the first battery in, I had it opened up. Replaced the switch, didn't like the idea of a pushbutton you had to keep pressed while using. The beeper is very loud, didn't want it to alert every on around, that I found something interesting (come watch my glory, ask bunch of questions). So I replaced the beeper with a vibrating motor out of a pager. Didn't cost me anything, I do electronics as a hobby, and salvage parts. The modifications don't really require and special skills, little soldering.

You can learn to pinpoint with your BH, and know with in a n inch or two, where your target is. I plant a small plastic stake right over my target, as I'm setting down my detector, so I don't loose sight, or get confused, as I breakout the digging tools. I don't mess with the pinpointer, until after I dug the plug, don't always need it, target is visible. I always grab my detector, stand up, rescan the plug, and the hole, in hopes for more, or atleast something better than the target I retrieved.

Pinpointers do help speed things up, takes a lot of time, lots of plugs and gouged targets, before you learn the skills of pinpointing with you main detector, but it's a good skill to have. There are a lot of targets, which have a potential value, much greater, than melt value of the metal. Some people don't care, rather just go for volume melt, and rather not know. Personally, I'd feel bad, gouging something really nice, in my haste.

The Centech is a good value, cheap and reliable. Might not be the fastest, fanciest, easiest, but you won't cry over losing it, breaking it. Took about two weeks from the day I sent in my Garrett, until I received the replacement...

Another good reason for a handheld, there are sharp things in the dirt, so less contact (groping around) you do, less chance of getting poked, scratch, or cut. I don't like wearing gloves, but they could help some, but have to be pretty heavy duty to stop it all.

Thanks for the ideas, and I have read where the inexpensive cen-tech has gotten pretty good reviews for something so low cost.

Like Harvey said ^, make sure to resweep your holes before filling them back. You never know if there is another item just under the target your detector picked out. Many older targets have been found right under signaled targets. It sucks to fill in a hole and then sweep over it again and something else is down there you just buried.

and I would think that once you got the initial find out of the hole, if you pointed your pinpointer near the bottom of the hole it could detect a deeper object, or perhaps just rescan first using your full size detector.

and I would think that once you got the initial find out of the hole, if you pointed your pinpointer near the bottom of the hole it could detect a deeper object, or perhaps just rescan first using your full size detector.

The cheaper pinpointers like the one that came free with my detector purchase (BH cheapie pinpointer) only alert off once I was within 1/2 inch of the metal object (quarter sized). On something tiny tiny like a rivet, it practically had to be touching it. There were a few times I still spent 20 minutes trying to find that tiny target with both detector and pinpointer once it was dug up.

Usually the detector is better to resweep the hole, unless you have one of the more expensive pinpointers that can reach real deep, like the Carrot or the TRX. Even the detector sweeping is usually better still.

Thanks for the ideas, and I have read where the inexpensive cen-tech has gotten pretty good reviews for something so low cost.

I'm going to be the downer on this one... I've had three of those harbor freight pinpointers, and while they're better than no pinpointer, using a good pinpointer will make you want to give that cen-tech to a kid (what I did with two of mine).

I recommend either a Garrett "carrot" or a Whites TRX. Have both, usually use the TRX; carrot is my backup. They both make the harbor freight pinpointer look like a toy.

^_^

The cheaper pinpointers like the one that came free with my detector purchase (BH cheapie pinpointer) only alert off once I was within 1/2 inch of the metal object (quarter sized). On something tiny tiny like a rivet, it practically had to be touching it. There were a few times I still spent 20 minutes trying to find that tiny target with both detector and pinpointer once it was dug up.

Usually the detector is better to resweep the hole, unless you have one of the more expensive pinpointers that can reach real deep, like the Carrot or the TRX. Even the detector sweeping is usually better still.

okay, thanks, I'll try rescanning with the full size detector.

I'm going to be the downer on this one... I've had three of those harbor freight pinpointers, and while they're better than no pinpointer, using a good pinpointer will make you want to give that cen-tech to a kid (what I did with two of mine).

I recommend either a Garrett "carrot" or a Whites TRX. Have both, usually use the TRX; carrot is my backup. They both make the harbor freight pinpointer look like a toy.

^_^

I appreciate the opinion, and true the cen-tech is likely not going to compare with the more expensive models, but for now I'll have to hope the cen-tech does as well as many reviewers have said until I can afford a better model, and by then I'll know if I need to get a better model or if the cen-tech is working good enough to keep like another poster said.

okay, thanks, I'll try rescanning with the full size detector.

I appreciate the opinion, and true the cen-tech is likely not going to compare with the more expensive models, but for now I'll have to hope the cen-tech does as well as many reviewers have said until I can afford a better model, and by then I'll know if I need to get a better model or if the cen-tech is working good enough to keep like another poster said.

Don't let anyone get you down on what works best for you. We have members that can pop coins out of the ground with only a screwdriver at the rate of 75 per 1/2 hour and other members that find many gold items almost every day, both with the most top notch expensive equipment and what most of us would think of as basic "intro" gear.

Equipment is as varied as the user, that's why there are SO many options out there. You find what feels good and works good for you, then you've got 1/2 the competition beat right there.

Ive been detecting over 20 years without a pinpointer :yes:

Not trying to burst your bubble , but I bought one of those cheap cen tech pinpointers from harbor freight and its more trouble than its worth , just barely more useful than a magnet on a stick but more frustrating getting it to work/act right. Experiences may vary

Ive been detecting over 20 years without a pinpointer :yes:

Not trying to burst your bubble , but I bought one of those cheap cen tech pinpointers from harbor freight and its more trouble than its worth , just barely more useful than a magnet on a stick but more frustrating getting it to work/act right. Experiences may vary

Thanks, I appreciate all opinions, but there does to be several who seem to be happy with their cen-tech, I guess I'll see if it works okay for me.

What does surprise me is that you are saying you don't use a pinpointer at all, because of all the ones that seem to not want to detect without one.

This would make for an interesting poll -

Do you use a pinpointer ?

Yes

No

No, but I plan to get one

My wife bought me the Cen Tech pin pointer for fathers day...and I LOVE IT!!!!! Has not let me down yet....I keep mine in the carrying case it came with...helps keep it somewhat protected. A lot of people said it won't work right when the temps get in the 80s but I have had NO trouble with it...been well into he 90s for 2 weeks now and mine has had no problems!

Back
Top Bottom