dowsing of pictures of land by others

I am still skeptical despite the drowsing believer's arguments.

It boils down to belief and proof. For instance, I strong believe that someone with a CTX3030 has found a CSA or US belt buckle and knows the FE-CO values. I have been searching the forums for that fact (The FE-CO values for those two types of civil war belt buckles) and no one has provided me with the facts.

I think the FE-CO value is 11.45 or 12.45 but I cannot prove it because I don't have one of those rare belt buckles to test with my CTX3030. And in all the tables of CTX3030 FE-CO values that one item is missing. Kind of spooky.

But I still believe that the FE-CO value for those civil war buckles do exist, but I cannot prove it.

As an aside, I really do want the truth about these values from someone who has a CTX3030 and civil war belt buckles they have found.

So you see my belief is a near nearly 100% that such a value exists, but I have yet to see the actual proof.

By the way, my original post was about drowsing remotely using pictures. How do you pick up EMI off of pictures of a piece of land? The drowsing believers on this thread seem to have skipped over the original question I asked about.

I am still skeptical despite the drowsing believer's arguments.

It boils down to belief and proof. For instance, I strong believe that someone with a CTX3030 has found a CSA or US belt buckle and knows the FE-CO values. I have been searching the forums for that fact (The FE-CO values for those two types of civil war belt buckles) and no one has provided me with the facts.

I think the FE-CO value is 11.45 or 12.45 but I cannot prove it because I don't have one of those rare belt buckles to test with my CTX3030. And in all the tables of CTX3030 FE-CO values that one item is missing. Kind of spooky.

But I still believe that the FE-CO value for those civil war buckles do exist, but I cannot prove it.

As an aside, I really do want the truth about these values from someone who has a CTX3030 and civil war belt buckles they have found.

So you see my belief is a near nearly 100% that such a value exists, but I have yet to see the actual proof.

By the way, my original post was about drowsing remotely using pictures. How do you pick up EMI off of pictures of a piece of land? The drowsing believers on this thread seem to have skipped over the original question I asked about.

In your area there has to be many sons of confederate veterans camps. Do a internet search to find them. Call them up and/or go to a meeting. One or more members will have the belt buckles you seek and let you run your detector over them to get your numbers. They want to get that history out of the ground as much as you do. Just remember 1800's metallurgy was not consistent and different buckles will probably give different vdi numbers.

In your area there has to be many sons of confederate veterans camps. Do a internet search to find them. Call them up and/or go to a meeting. One or more members will have the belt buckles you seek and let you run your detector over them to get your numbers. They want to get that history out of the ground as much as you do. Just remember 1800's metallurgy was not consistent and different buckles will probably give different vdi numbers.

Good idea, most local clubs have stopped meetings because of covid and even are not updating their web sites with monthly finds by members as they used to do each month.

But I still can get in contact with them via email and try to arrange for a swinging over their buckles.

So this is how Tom gets 15000 posts😂

Three things motivate him to post vigorously:
1. Asking local government officials about their metal detecting laws.
2. Discussing dowsing.
3. Asking for percentages of finds.

I would really like to troll him("more") on the dowsing but this is a fantastic forum and I do not want to get banned.

2. Discussing dowsing.

I would really like to troll him("more") on the dowsing but this is a fantastic forum and I do not want to get banned.

Don't forget #4 - East Coast Large Cents! :laughing:

2. Discussing dowsing.

Don't forget #4 - East Coast Large Cents! :laughing:

Hey you guys : If it wasn't for control freaks like us, then NOTHING WOULD GET DONE RIGHT IN THE WORLD ! Tsk tsk :laughing:

Good idea, most local clubs have stopped meetings because of covid and even are not updating their web sites with monthly finds by members as they used to do each month.

But I still can get in contact with them via email and try to arrange for a swinging over their buckles.
I think that even though it is scv, members will have many more U.S. buckles than confederate.

Its possible but the guy would be taking an educated guess at best... and not dowsing. For example you can look at a picture of an eroded beach and take a guess where the gold might be sitting.
You can look at a landscape photo, check the rocks, altitude, etc etc and guess where might be the best spot to look would be.

I think the original poster on the site you quoted either didn't get his point across or was misquoted.

Its possible but the guy would be taking an educated guess at best... and not dowsing. For example you can look at a picture of an eroded beach and take a guess where the gold might be sitting....

If anyone finds stuff by dowsing, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON !

They are simply merely going by subtle landscape clues. Eg.: Where the most likely spot that people picnicked. Or where the most likely spot is that someone would hide something, etc.... And then subconsciously point the coat hanger to where they're already suspecting. :roll: And then pull out the detector to "pinpoint" (yeah, that's the ticket)

For example: I know a guy who is SO WELL VERSED in Sierra foothills nuggets/prospecting, that if you took him to a stream through a canyon here, he can immediately point to the most-likely spots that nuggets would be.

I have actually had some dowsers actually AGREE that this is all that's going on. But I tell them: Wait a second, then the rod ISN'T DOING ANYTHING AT ALL , right ? You're ADMITTING that it's nothing more than gut hunches and subtle landscape clues, right ? :roll:

I go to Florida beaches quite often. I see lots of guys swinging a detector and have talked to quite a few of them. They are mostly land detectorists on vacation and basically don't have a clue to how to find the good stuff on a beach because they don't have a clue where to look and beaches are huge.

At the same time I have interviewed a couple of very experienced local detectorists who really do well on the beaches. The difference is simple. The experienced beach hunter knows how to read a beach especially the wet portion of the beach. Soft sand under their feet or hard sand. Soft sand the beach is building or sanding in and targets are usually too deep. areas where the rip tide is eroding the beach or hard sand under foot means that the eroding beach is bringing targets closer to the surface or rather bringing the surface closer to the targets.

Finding an unusual accumulation of stones in an area of the wet beach means the tide, current, winds are bringing heavier objects up on the beach.

So an experience beach hunter could bring out the coat hangers as Tom says and point to where you should detect and you would be amazed that you were now finding good targets. No hocus pocus, just solid knowledge of an experienced detectorists. Tom is right again in my opinion.

I think that even though it is scv, members will have many more U.S. buckles than confederate.

you are right about that. the union was much better equipped, in the Battle for Atlanta, Sherman had 100,000 soldiers, confederates 60,000 and this was the tail end of the war and a lot of the confederate supply sources were gone and thus the confederates were not as well provisioned as the union troops.

It is pretty well known by relic hunters in the south that the CSA buckle is must sought after for those reasons, but no one will discard a US belt buckle either.

Hey you guys : If it wasn't for control freaks like us, then NOTHING WOULD GET DONE RIGHT IN THE WORLD ! Tsk tsk :laughing:

Don't blame tom, I saw that post over on TN and could not believe what I was seeing. First thought that came to my mind, how can someone be so stupid to fall for drowsing a picture from google earth. I have never seen anything like that on this forum and really don't expect to.

Reminds me of the scene where Lance was showing Andy his great find of a iron age village in the image because it showed two round patterns on the ground. Then Andy pointed out that there were some G's and I think Lance said that they were some fancy entrance to the round huts. Then Andy mention that they might spell Google because Lance was reading the Google Watermark on the image. If any of you have not seen the three seasons of the Detectorists a very good British TV series about a metal detecting club and its members you must see it.

They are simply merely going by subtle landscape clues. Eg.: Where the most likely spot that people picnicked. Or where the most likely spot is that someone would hide something, etc.... And then subconsciously point the coat hanger to where they're already suspecting. :roll: And then pull out the detector to "pinpoint" (yeah, that's the ticket)

For example: I know a guy who is SO WELL VERSED in Sierra foothills nuggets/prospecting, that if you took him to a stream through a canyon here, he can immediately point to the most-likely spots that nuggets would be.

I have actually had some dowsers actually AGREE that this is all that's going on. But I tell them: Wait a second, then the rod ISN'T DOING ANYTHING AT ALL , right ? You're ADMITTING that it's nothing more than gut hunches and subtle landscape clues, right ? :roll:

They'll probably claim the rod acts to express their subconscious observation of those landscape clues.... But.

While from what I remember, there is a good deal of visual processing that is unconscious, it's only providing basically more instinctive responses to certain stimuli. (Ex: triggering the fight-or-flight response when you see a lion headed straight for you) But I'd imagine any processing of the nature of searching the landscape for likely places to find stuff, would have to be conscious - you have to think to do that, you don't think when you're about to be hit by a car you just get out of the way. Still, the rod could serve as a way of convincing themselves - if they can externalize the guessing part and say it's being done by, a dowsing rod for example, they'll probably view their hunch more as fact, after all, the rod's doing it not them. wink.

So yeah, probably still full of !!!! but don't entirely eliminate the coathanger's importance in the act of dowsing. It just probably could be any object, in reality. Someone go try dowsing with a washer taped to the end of a shoelace - tell me if it works any better lol

there are some instances where it would work . but I can only think of a couple and with almost 0 practicality. basically same function as a compass but instead of pointing at north it will point towards ____. its a problem/theory I'm too busy to think about.

They'll probably claim the rod acts to express their subconscious observation of those landscape clues.... But......

..... No hocus pocus, just solid knowledge of an experienced detectorists. .....

Gentlemen: Remember that the camp of dowsers that attribute any supposed skill or success, to *merely* being subtle terrain clues + experience : They are only a small niche of dowsers.

The vast majority would say the rods are somehow "attracted" to the object. So-much-so that they'll even say that the rods "tug" in the direction. And/or that they "talk" to the rods. And they'll spin all sorts of scientific speculation, or paranormal explanations, blah blah.

Therefore, the type dowser that we now allude to (who admits it's nothing more than subtle terrain clues) is actually quite the minority in their circles. Ok ?

And for this very small niche of dowsers, this admission merely means that dowsing doesn't work. :roll: An experienced md'r can likewise go out to acreage of where he researched that CW battle occurred. Or that a stage stop was said to have been, or that people used to picnic somewhere. And when pressed to decide where to start swinging his detector, he might point with his finger and say : "Let's start over there". No need for rods, pendulums, dip needles, etc......In other words: No need for dowsing .

Yes, after 45 yrs. of beach storm erosion hunting, I can look at any beach in my area, and immediately tell you if it's even worth a try. And if so, where is the most likely spots, etc.... And no, that's not defined as "dowsing". That's simply merely defined as hard-knocks-experience.

Gentlemen: Remember that the camp of dowsers that attribute any supposed skill or success, to *merely* being subtle terrain clues + experience : They are only a small niche of dowsers.

The vast majority would say the rods are somehow "attracted" to the object. So-much-so that they'll even say that the rods "tug" in the direction. And/or that they "talk" to the rods. And they'll spin all sorts of scientific speculation, or paranormal explanations, blah blah.

Therefore, the type dowser that we now allude to (who admits it's nothing more than subtle terrain clues) is actually quite the minority in their circles. Ok ?

And for this very small niche of dowsers, this admission merely means that dowsing doesn't work. :roll: An experienced md'r can likewise go out to acreage of where he researched that CW battle occurred. Or that a stage stop was said to have been, or that people used to picnic somewhere. And when pressed to decide where to start swinging his detector, he might point with his finger and say : "Let's start over there". No need for rods, pendulums, dip needles, etc......In other words: No need for dowsing .

Yes, after 45 yrs. of beach storm erosion hunting, I can look at any beach in my area, and immediately tell you if it's even worth a try. And if so, where is the most likely spots, etc.... And no, that's not defined as "dowsing". That's simply merely defined as hard-knocks-experience.

I'll be sure to ask for your visual assessment the next time I'm on vacation lol.

I'll be sure to ask for your visual assessment the next time I'm on vacation lol.

In my experience the vast majority of beach hunters are on vacation and the wife picks the beach with little regards to metal detecting. I know a detectorist who rides a bike along the beaches looking for the right areas to hunt.

Here are some beach locating tips for those who can take the planning away from their wife. (not sure how many that applies to).

Go to google earth and you are looking for two areas.
1. the public beaches with the largest number of parking spots.
2. the beaches in front of the biggest and most expensive hotels and condo's which of course have the largest number of guests and guests with lots of real bling.

Then read a good book on reading beaches and pick the areas of the above beaches that are CURRENTLY good areas to hunt according to the beach reading skills you have learned.

You will increase your chances of finding good targets by a considerable margin.

But to let you wife pick the beach vacation spot and just go out in front of your lodging and hunt the beach, you are absolutely no threat to the local beach hunters who have all the beach hunting experience. You are advised to not waste your time in wet sand and just hunt the towel line.

Of course there is another option. Follow (at a respectable distance of 100 yards) an experienced beach hunter. Hint, they have good PI detector, they have a very deep tan not a new bright lobster red sunburn and pale white legs. Just hunt where you see them swinging. They might have missed something. You have just increased your odds of finding some good targets.

Back
Top Bottom