Excal pressurized battery pod ?

bevis

Im just curious if anyone has ever had a pressurized battery pod with an aftermarket battery in it. I was looking at my excal the other day and noticed that the rescue tape around the end cap had a rip in it. I showed it to my girlfriend and asked her if she hit it with something as I'm pretty anal about being careful with it. One of the grub screws was cocked in its hole so i was thinking that it got hit pretty hard on the edge of the end cap to cause that and I'm thinking at this point the pod may be trashed.

So, this morning, i cut off the rescue tape and pulled the first grub screw and heard a huge amount of pressure release from the pod. I asked a friend about it and he said that it can happen. Then it dawned on me that the pod had not been hit. It was the pressure trying to push the end cap off. So much pressure that it had one of the grub screws pushed off axis in its hole. I guess on the upside, i know that the pod was sealed perfectly. I will post a pics of the battery in question. At this point, i don't trust the battery any further that i can throw it.
In the pic of the battery posts, it appears that the negative post is pushed up. I don't know if thats from manufacturing or if its a product of being near failure.

So, i was just curious if anyone has had this happen to them and also to let you know that this can happen.
Thanks

Attachments

• 0926181105.jpg
    0926181105.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 0926181105a.jpg
    0926181105a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 98
I have never heard of pressure building up like that. I replaced my original battery pack with that same one and have had no issues...
You don't by chance live at high elevation do you?

Have you had it attached to a charger for an extended amount of time. I've seen rechargeable batteries blow out like that releasing fumes/gas.

I have never heard of pressure building up like that. I replaced my original battery pack with that same one and have had no issues...

I'm about as low an elevation as it gets. Florida mid state east coast

Have you had it attached to a charger for an extended amount of time. I've seen rechargeable batteries blow out like that releasing fumes/gas.

yes i leave it on the charger until i go hunt. I've got a screwed up back and have not hunted in over a week and don't know when i will be able to. but I'm not using the minicab charger. I'm using this charger. I was under the impression that it would halt charging when the battery was full.

Attachments

• 0926181240.jpg
    0926181240.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 0926181240_HDR.jpg
    0926181240_HDR.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 116

I would keep an eye on it for this reason. This shows it can happen. IF you don't have to go through a bunch of work to get to one of the grub screws, i would pull one just to see if theres pressure in there. If its sealed up tight and you don't want to cut the shrink tubing or whatever you have around the end, just look at it once in a while to make sure this is not going to happen. Im just going to order the EX3000 lipo for it.

I normally hook up my charger at night and remove it from the charger the next morning. I also use a volt meter to check the voltage before and after hooking up.

I normally hook up my charger at night and remove it from the charger the next morning. I also use a volt meter to check the voltage before and after hooking up.

i also check them with a volt meter. this battery is at 13.26vdc

Apologize to the girlfriend. Trash the battery. Do you dive?

could be as simple as a high-pressure weather system and a cold AC or cold day when the pod as assembled.

A little positive air pressure is a good thing to prevent leaks!

Apologize to the girlfriend. Trash the battery. Do you dive?

already apologized and ordered a EX3000 per OBN recommendation .
nope i dont dive, just wet sand to knee deep. the atlantic waters here seem rough ALL THE TIME, no matter the tide state.

could be as simple as a high-pressure weather system and a cold AC or cold day when the pod as assembled.

A little positive air pressure is a good thing to prevent leaks!

this was the factory pod that i took the battery out of and put in an aftermarket battery. there was way more than a little positive pressure in there. it was actually pushing the end cap off. i wish i had taken a pic to post before i took it apart. the grub screw on one side looked like someone tried to put it in at a 30 degree angle and there was a gap between the body of the pod and the cap about 1/8".

Back
Top Bottom