Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 11:30 PM

Question Newbee question

Being new to the sport and since iím getting familiar with my machine and can now differentiate the tones would it be better to search in the all metal mode or continue using tone and eliminating iron Using the Bounty Hunter Mk 4

Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Newbee question

I use discrimination mode and eliminate iron . Even if you are relic hunting, old ďironĒ reads like silver and youíll find it. Notching out iron saves me from digging old nuts, bolts, and chunks of fairly modern rusty junk. Iím a newbie and donít know much either, so take that advice for what itís worth lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 AM

I have a bounty hunter elite 2200. Iím still trying to figure out the difference between notch, discriminate, and zap. Seems like they all do the same thing. All that said, I almost always discriminate out iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-16-2019, 05:06 AM
Elite Member

Depends on what and where you're hunting, relic hunting all metal is the way to go, if you are shootin clad in the park disc everything but coins out.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

Depends on the kind of "listener" you are. I use excals on a beach and hunt in pin point mode (all metal) and switch to discriminate when I get a target. This avoids the sing songy tones in my ear constantly. This works when targets are not overlapped best.

When there are many overlapping targets you go slow with a small coil and hunt in discrimination and listen carefully for specific tones. You have to go slow because the nulling of iron slows down your detector's response. Learn your detector!

Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

Default I have

A Euro Tek Pro With 11 dd that has iron audeo , works well in iron infested site's.

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10