Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

To add to plug reintroduction to its hole...often the plug will be angled or uneven on the bottom. Taking a couple seconds to reshape the bottom dirt so that it vaguely matches the plug's shape will help with evenness.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by k2gleaner View post
I tend to cut a neat circle with the shovel pointed quite vertically. I lift and flip out the circle of turf with a fair bit of soil attached ..
I do similar..

<)))>{
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
I might add if one is actually cutting a plug I think the Predator tools Raptor cuts the neatest plug. I can remove a plug much easier and neater with a Raptor than I can with any of the Leche type tools.
This actually surprises me. I've seen guys use these, and they generally have to work the tool back and forth so much at the point the blade enters the ground I would have thought it would have been harder to fill the gap.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Bill S and his dirt fishing videos on UTUBE cuts some of the cleanest plugs Ive ever seen. Watching his videos can be helpful in all things metal detecting. He is a Professional.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
I do similar..

<)))>{
Lol

Old 02-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
This actually surprises me. I've seen guys use these, and they generally have to work the tool back and forth so much at the point the blade enters the ground I would have thought it would have been harder to fill the gap.
I guess pros and cons to all diggers.
Predator Pros:
Super heavy duty blade. Seriously it would be very difficult to bend or break.
Easier to pop plugs up due to shape.
Fewer cuts due to width.
Plugs seem to hold together better with this digger.
This diggers slight curve makes it easier to remove extra dirt from hole if needed.
Predator Cons:
It does have a thicker blade so not as fine a cut as compared to the more knife like diggers.
No serrations to cut thru roots.

Years detecting: (2) Equinox 800, Etrac, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coin: 1851 Seated Dime, Total silver coins found: 55, Total rings:(Silver) 1 (Gold) 0 (Junk) 4, 2019 silver coins: 21

Old 02-26-2019, 04:59 AM
Supporter

Learn to use a rounded off screwdriver. If not deep, you can pop it out with your finger. I also use the slit method. I have a 4 inch old lock back knife I have used for years. Make a slit. Than maybe use the screwdriver to find it. I can pop a coin very fast and I have never used a pin pointer in 45 years of detecting. I don't even know how to turn one on...

KEN

KEN

Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM

K2 writes:

"A pinpointer would've helped last night greatly. I dug about 5 pennies with just the AT Pro. I took my time to scan back and forth, moving forward and backward, and then at a 90-degree angle, too. I then cut a full square cut (four sides, one spade-width long, and removed a deep plug with roots fully intact. Problem was, each coin was just below, or in the thickest roots. I never needed to dig it like that. I actually ended up scraping layers of soil off and into the hole with my A.M.Leonard knife (kinda Lesche-like). In the end, I was basically placing turf back in place. However, each time, I left it quite neat, so that was good."

I use a probe with the idea of touching the target item before digging so that I have a better idea of depth and location. Sometimes, I get fooled by a rock or such. Most times though, I will locate the item with the probe. Most times too the item is less than 3" deep in the grass covered areas I hunt. I generally just open the ground a bit with my screwdriver and pop out the item. I carry a Lesche digger but more often than not don't use it.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dirtykneese View post
Learn to use a rounded off screwdriver. If not deep, you can pop it out with your finger. I also use the slit method. I have a 4 inch old lock back knife I have used for years. Make a slit. Than maybe use the screwdriver to find it. I can pop a coin very fast and I have never used a pin pointer in 45 years of detecting. I don't even know how to turn one on...

KEN

I didn't think about the "rounded-off" part. Make it less like to scratch the target?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 PM

Practice on your lawn before cutting someone else's.