Silver #25 FTY is a preview of great things to come-UPDATE

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Today on my way to a Dr appointment, I stopped at another old house undergoing renovation to seek permission to detect. The contractor also turned out to be the owner and had no problem with me detecting the entire yard , front and back. This is a big two story dating to 1915 on a large corner lot across the street from a school that was built in 1906. Wide curb strips and original dirt, as far as I can tell. Looks to be very promising. So after dinner tonight I went back just to do some of the curbstrip. I only had about 90 minutes to detect before dark. My first target was a copper memorial. My second target was a bottle cap and my third was a deep nickel signal. Turned out to be a 1949 Jefferson. Things were looking up. 4th dig was a clad quarter , 5th dig was clad dime. 6th target was smooth, repeatable and a solid 27 in every direction. Not too deep , so I assumed it was another clad dime. I pulled the very dry plug and the prettiest sight ever was in the hole , a silver coin rim sticking out of the dry crumbling dirt. When I pulled it out I had my third ever Barber dime and by far the best of the 3. It was getting dark and I hadn't even covered half of the front yard curb strip, let alone the yard itself. Needless to say, this place will be my main focus for the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to more old shiny.

Attachments

• 1909 barber heads 8-5-19.jpg
    1909 barber heads 8-5-19.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 1909 barber tails, 8-5-19.jpg
    1909 barber tails, 8-5-19.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Congrats MT, not only on the Merc but on what sounds like a permission that may provide you with some very fine hunting in the near future. Trapper

update

So I have spent the last couple of weeks carefully gridding the yard at this place. What seemed so promising turned out to be a dud. The curbstrip that gave up the Barber dime has produced nothing else but a few bottlecaps and a couple of falsing rusty bolts. The yard itself has produced some clad, some modern pennies and assorted aluminum and iron trash. None of the coins are older than 1974. I can only assume that the original dirt was scraped and new dirt fill was added some time in the last 40 years. Oh well.......

Back
Top Bottom