2nd outing with the Nox 600

Fivepin

Elite Member
Off to the fair grounds to test the Equinox. Stan has issued me a challenge for the new machine. Find a silver at the fairgrounds in 50 holes. He is considering an equinox he just wants me to test mine out for him first. I'll do my best. So come watch me tortuously slave in the mid day heat to find Stan a silver. Thanks for watching.

https://youtu.be/2ziGQfM16JA

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 243
Excellent video quality.

Goodness me your dirt was certainly dry.

....Doug.

Off to the fair grounds to test the Equinox. Stan has issued me a challenge for the new machine. Find a silver at the fairgrounds in 50 holes. ....
https://youtu.be/2ziGQfM16JA

Good video. It's fun to do something like limit myself to X number of digs or only dig certain signals. I usually end up learning something.

That demolition derby area looks pretty challenging, to say the least. It might be worth going back over if you ever end up getting the smaller Nox coil.

The Nox is sensitive to EMI specifically because it's listening to multiple frequencies. Try the single frequency modes if you hit some EMI and would like to prioritize sensitivity. Keeping in mind the limitations of each. For example, the 15k frequency might not be picking up the EMI at all even with high sensitivity. Other times it's on all frequencies and there's not much to do except noise cancel and keep lowering sensitivity.

Iron audio definitely helped ID that nail. One nice feature of the Nox 600 (and not the ATPro) is the ability to turn down the volume of iron without turning it off completely. If you're on dirt where hearing the iron most of the time is beneficial, but not necessarily at full volume, then that's a good option.

I was out again in the creek this time this morning with the nox. For me this machine is what I was looking for. Lots to learn. It just works, its quiet...even beach mode 1 in water was quiet as a mouse. Stan and his ace beside me made false signals all the way up the creek. The Kruzer had the iron audio levels as well. For me I don't mind leaving the level up and just select on or off to id targets. Thats how I always did it on the AT and it works well. Thanks for the emi tips Toy soldier I will have to try that next time I'm back at the fair grounds.

I enjoyed your video and your enthusiasm toward your new Nox .I feel for you for having suffered thru that bout of food poisoning . I had it once ,Baaaaad business !!

I just got a great deal on a used Nox 600 myself . As we speak it's on the truck and expected to be at my door at 8:00 pm tonight .

I hope to get out with it tomorrow ,luckily , the spot I will be using at will not be as difficult as the auto track you hunted .

Does the 11" coil seem that top heavy to you ? Either way , I'm a big fan of the smaller coils in trashy areas .

Best of luck to you and I'll be checking out your future posts and videos .

Great hunt Gary. Sorry you were feeling bad......... You did much better than I would have with food poisoning/stomach flu.

Keep using the horseshoe button. If you get a great signal that is fairly deep in the mid to high teens to up in the mid 30s that just hits in one swing direction and not the other or if it is repeatable on one axis and you turn 90 degrees and it is gone, the horseshoe button check is a good idea. Anytime I get a deep, somewhat iffy signal in the 20s and 30s (silver- PLEASE) I always check it with the horseshoe toggle. Sometimes US quarters and silver coins will be accompanied by a few iron responses if they are +8". If there are consistent, repeatable iron responses however and just one target (check with the pinpoint feature) it is usually iron of some kind. Also, larger than coin sized objects can be much deeper than the depth indicator. You can size your targets with the Nox in pinpoint mode pretty easily. Smaller coin sized targets will have small, well defined perimeters unless they are on the surface. Larger than coin sized objects will have a much bigger and less defined perimeter. Also, back in detect mode big deep targets will beep well above the ground surface while a small deep coin will stop beeping very quickly.

If you get under power lines, you can also do another noise cancel. It might help.

Good luck.
Jeff

Hi,
I forgot to mention that maybe you should consider Park 1 or Field 1 for specific silver coin hunting and discriminate out everything up to say +19. There has been some testing done by some very experienced detector users that had results for US clad dimes
in all of the modes on the Equinox. Park 1 and Field 1 definitely were able to hit US clad dimes (24 to 28 VDI) the deepest =12" or more due to the multi frequency weighting being toward the lower frequencies which made deeper high conductors easier to detect at the deepest limits of the Nox. I know that the "official" Equinox tutorial video on Field mode mentions coins on edge being easier to detect in Field 2 (they just happened to show a silver coin...that does not mean silver is easier to detect in Field 2). Hunting in 5kHz single frequency did not come close to those depths using any mode in those tests.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom