Coil size or location?

Kale1278

I have been using the 5x8 DD coil on my AT Max and just put on the 8.5X11 coil yesterday and played in the yard.... its was an arm workout for sure.

How much more depth will I get? About 3 inches?

I have been hunting old sites (1890's) but not finding anything old. Lots of clad, but even its at 6 inches. Am I using the wrong coil, or just not in the right spots?

You might adjust the shaft to bring the coil a little closer to you. You may lose a little reach, but it will decrease the strain on your arm. I had an AT Pro and found it nose heavy as well, it's the nature of the beast. You might gain a couple of inches with the 8.5x11. I would lean towards your location more so than the coil as the reason for your lack of success. Many AT Pro users swear by the 5x8 and use them solely due to the better ergonomics. I hunted 3 old homesites today and only found 1 wheat with my SE Pro. I expected more than that!

I have been using the 5x8 DD coil on my AT Max and just put on the 8.5X11 coil yesterday and played in the yard.... its was an arm workout for sure.

How much more depth will I get? About 3 inches?

I have been hunting old sites (1890's) but not finding anything old. Lots of clad, but even its at 6 inches. Am I using the wrong coil, or just not in the right spots?

I rarely used the 8.5x11 until recently. The 5x8 is easier to swing, but I’ve been hunting fields lately and am actually looking to go bigger. It took me about 3 days to get stamina built up.

As for the coil, you’re using the right one. I’m guessing it’s location. You can find stuff at 6” with each coil if it gets over the target.

Good luck.

You might adjust the shaft to bring the coil a little closer to you. You may lose a little reach, but it will decrease the strain on your arm. I had an AT Pro and found it nose heavy as well, it's the nature of the beast. You might gain a couple of inches with the 8.5x11. I would lean towards your location more so than the coil as the reason for your lack of success. Many AT Pro users swear by the 5x8 and use them solely due to the better ergonomics. I hunted 3 old homesites today and only found 1 wheat with my SE Pro. I expected more than that!

Thanks for the input. I do love the 5x8, was just worried depth. Glad that is not the case. All my permissions are for vacant lots, and I know they are getting hunt by those not asking. I guess I need to get a permission for a place where people still live and wouldn’t let some random person dig in the yard... haha.
Thanks again.

I used to hit an area with the stock coil then switch to a larger one and go over

it again. If you can do that, that is cool but dont get too bogged down in the

"deeper the better" ideology, It all depends on location(researched?) , soil type,

moisture content, what you are hunting for (coins, relics, etc) the machine and

how well one is able to use the machine that will yield the best results. :neo:

I used to hit an area with the stock coil then switch to a larger one and go over

it again. If you can do that, that is cool but dont get too bogged down in the

"deeper the better" ideology, It all depends on location(researched?) , soil type,

moisture content, what you are hunting for (coins, relics, etc) the machine and

how well one is able to use the machine that will yield the best results. :neo:

Thank you. I have done a good bit of research, I think I may just be late tot he party, and the goodies have been taken. I find a lot of old stuff.... just not coins.

Back
Top Bottom