Cleaning copper/brass

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Need advice on cleaning a find. Not sure if it is copper or brass, although an identical item on ebay claims it is copper. In great shape, lots of detail, would like to shine it up a bit for display. so far have only soaked it in warm, soapy water. Thanks!

You didn't say what it is, but if you want it "shined up" a tumbler works well, don't have one, try steel wool, everybody usually has that.

I was given advice on a great way to clean old copper/brass from another member of the forum last year when I dug a nice Confederate button. Place the tag in the bottom of a glass/plastic cup. Spray Scrubbing Bubbles into the cup liberally until the foam begins to fill the cup to about 1/3 or more. Wait until the Scrubbing Bubbles works its magic and breaks down from foam to liquid. I usually leave the item submerged in the liquid for a good 15-20 minutes. Then the fun begins. :) Remove the item from the liquid and start going to work on
it with QTips. Use the liquid in the cup to scrub your item with the QTip. You can also use toothpicks to work on the more built up crud. In the end, I think you will be pleased with the results. Hope that helps!

Great idea!

Like the scrubbing bubbles idea. I have a few items that need more than my usual warm soapy water and toothbrush method!:D

Back
Top Bottom