Detecting old schoolhouses

Huh ? I think this is a typo. You mean that kids carrying coins today is more common than kids-back-then. Right ?

When I was a kid, in the 1970s, it was not uncommon to talk to people who had been through the depression (my own folks, for example). Ie.: people could remember the 1920s and '30s, if they were then in their 60s, 70s and '80s. And since I was new to the hobby (in high school) , I peppered the old folks, in my town, with questions as to where they picnicked, the 1-room schools, etc....

And I remember many of the elderly people, who had gone to country-1-room schools saying "we never had coins or money". I figured this was just a "wax-romantic " comment (like the walking to the school barefoot uphill in the snow type-remarks). So I always dismissed these comments.

But as time went on, I began to see that there is a ring-of-truth to these comments. Because at inner city schools that date to the late teens and early '20s in my town, I began to notice that most of the silver and wheaties we found, were invariably 1940s/50s silver.

At first, detecting in the late 1970s and through the 1980s, I always wrote that off to : "our detectors simply aren't getting deep enough to reach the 1910s/20s silver". But as time went on, and detectors got deeper, I noticed that the date ranges never changed. Even when school turf got scraped (for various demolition projects), it wasn't like "barbers and teens coins were jumping out of the ground". Yet I could distinctly recall HUNDREDS of 1940s mercs, wheaties, silver roosies, silver washingtons, etc.... Huh ? What gives ? Where are all the SLQ s ? Where are all the crisp 1920s mercs ?

And I began to realize that what the old-timers said was actually true : Prior to WWII : Kids didn't have much need (nor affluence) to have coins in their pockets. But after WWII, the USA entered into the most prosperous affluent economy ever. And school lunch / milk programs evolved, to where every kid began carrying a nickel or dime in his pocket now.

Hence my experience (at least here in CA), is that when we hit 1-room school sites (EVEN WHEN VIRGIN), is that if the date of the school usage was pre WWII, is that coins will be scarce. Even though we get buttons, harmonica reeds, slag, etc.... (showing we're the first ones to hit it). And if its usage continued till the 1950s, then sure ..... we'll get a 1940s merc, a few 50s wheaties, etc.... And if a '20s coin turns up, it evidences more wear like it was lost in the 1940s.

JMHO

This is great info, Tom. thanks for taking the time to share.

-Skippy

I finally got out for about 45 minutes this morning to the one room school location at the edge of a bean field just around the corner from my house. Hadn't detected in about a month due to health issues. It was really nice to be able to get out and enjoy the good weather for a change. And couldn't believe my luck to find a 1905 "O" dime. Only the second silver dime I've dug from an old school location since starting back hunting two years ago. The other one was a 1943 from the same school.

I almost didn't dig it. The Deus didn't think it was a dime. I didn't think it would be a coin at all. The numbers just weren't there. I had pulled out a very very small piece of melted aluminum just a few feet away and thought that might be another one. Could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it. Even thou at first glance it looked like a dime I thought it might be some kind of button.

Don't know why the Deus didn't give a good dime signal, guess it must have been on edge.

I'm pretty curious when it comes to detecting and I generally look forward to finding all sorts of relics. Since I'm relatively new to this, I've found a few flat buttons and one 1944 Walking Liberty half, amongst other junk and coins.

That being said, I've been researching the locations of former one-room schoolhouses in my area. I was wondering what one can expect to find? I'm assuming the older the school, the less chance of coins b/c how many kids had coins to carry back in the day? Am I right? Maybe they lost some marbles...but that won't come with the detector. :)
Thanks
I remember an old school and will detect it when the rain stops...Will post finds.

My thought is that around every old school there had to be other structures such as homes, stores, boarding houses, etc. You can bet an old school was within a quarter, half or even a mile of these other structures. Where I'm at a property owner picked up an 1858 dollar which was a couple of hundred yards from the old school house and where another building was.

Pretty cool stuff here! I know the location of a few of them - at least going by multiple maps. One of the younger ones stood where my kids go to school now... where the parking lot is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in a rural area.

I called a man I know who knows a lot of the history here. I called him bc I have maps showing a schoolhouse location on his property next to his current house. However, another map shows it just up the road a 1/4 mile. Surprisingly, he didn't know about it.

Better yet, IMHO, was his response: " I don't know about that school but I know where the old hotels used to stand!" Whaaaa???

(And it turns out I had just gotten blanket permission from a local farmer who owns the land where one of those hotels used to be...)

I came across some old 1871&1886 maps that have the locations of all the one room School houses, churches and homes for my county. I was able to get copies and place them in a folder. I guess this is a benefit of working for the county, ask the right questions get the right answers. I am set up for a lifetime.

Here's a locket that was found at a one room School.

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_145105594.jpg
    IMG_20170325_145105594.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20170325_145118367.jpg
    IMG_20170325_145118367.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 77
I came across some old 1871&1886 maps that have the locations of all the one room School houses, churches and homes for my county. I was able to get copies and place them in a folder. I guess this is a benefit of working for the county, ask the right questions get the right answers. I am set up for a lifetime.

Here's a locket that was found at a one room School.

Great find (s)!!! You are in the driver's seat.

I live in a rural area.

I called a man I know who knows a lot of the history here. I called him bc I have maps showing a schoolhouse location on his property next to his current house. However, another map shows it just up the road a 1/4 mile. Surprisingly, he didn't know about it.

Better yet, IMHO, was his response: " I don't know about that school but I know where the old hotels used to stand!" Whaaaa???

(And it turns out I had just gotten blanket permission from a local farmer who owns the land where one of those hotels used to be...)

Gotta say it again: where there was an old school there were other buildings where people gathered and handled money.

757a01a1cc1e4d50475f4858ccce0ac1.jpg
8b29f5ac7af0f2248ff31c707df71e5b.jpg

Here are my finds from a schoolhouse site on the Kansas prairie from yesterday. They are real relic producers sometimes. But this little pile is reason #1 why I love old schoolhouses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta say it again: where there was an old school there were other buildings where people gathered and handled money.
Not sure what you mean by that, unless perhaps you’re talking about inner-city schools? I’ve seen historic photos of all the one-roomers I’ve detected, they were the only building on site. :?:

Back
Top Bottom