Illiniois trip report

trobaughokc

The trip back home to Illinois was pretty much of a bust.  The weather was interesting, everything from tornados to snow.

The one day I had at the old farm, started out warm enough but the wind was steady and gusting up to 45 mph.  There ain?t no place to hide in an open field.  Once I was a little off balance and was literally blown backwards three steps.  It?s hard to hear those signals with your ears flapping back and forth. The temp started falling as a front moved through and soon the wind chill got to the point I couldn?t stay out any longer.  Of course if I?d been finding anything worthwhile, I might have made it longer than the six hours I was there.  Someone out there was real fond of using lead for body work and soldering.  No coins earlier than late sixties and one piece of mystery jewelry that might have been a shoe decoration.

I was only able to hunt the old park in Momence (in use continuously for over 100 years) for an hour and a half.  Cold, wet, and muddy I had to confine myself to the wood chips.  Pulled some clad but nothing old.  Next day I got into a couple of yards for two hours, but again junk and clad.

Got out a little every day, my usual haunts (schools and parks) in Normal and Bourbonnais, pulled 329 clad for $16.93 face.

One coin of note was brought home; my mother-in-law gave me an 1865 2 cent piece that?s in excellent shape.  Of course she had to tell me that she found it in the garage at the old farm before they bulldozed it and the house into a hole, burned it, covered it with dirt and plowed it over.:o( :(

Man talking about some tough hunting conditions. You got me on my knees bowing.  :lol: Congrats on the 1865 2 cent. A great gift.

Illinois did have an interesting week weather wise. At least I was well north of the blizzard :yes:

Sorry about not finding some good stuff. I still am awaiting an opportunity to detect the 100+ old property I have my eyes on. Looks like it will be on a appropriate date - April 15th :lol:

Yes the midwest(below me) got hammered pretty good. I was watching that storm real close. Sorry about not being the trip you had hoped for though. Better times, and weather are on the way. :yes:

This was found at the site, but not by me or with a detector.  :o( My mother-in-law found it when they were cleaning out the garage prior to tearing it down.

Yeah, Welcome to llinois. I was driving to work at 1:30 am during the white out :lol:.  Illinois weather is as unpredictable as anything. One year in January it was 67 degrees, within 24 hours the temp dropped all the way down to -20 degrees. Believe me an 87 degree temperature drop in one day is tough to take.       

Nice coin though, take it however you can get it :grin:

Ya can't beat finding coins in a building that's being altered, huh, Bob? (been there... do that!)
Compared to the coins we dig out of the ground, them coins that are found behind mop boards, etc., are in awesome condition!
(watch the movie called, "Session 9"... jus' to mention a "crude" instance! ;))

Yup. A lot of them are even better than the big shot releases, huh? :yes:
Hollywood's been goin' "somewhere" in a hand basket lately. ;)

That's one sweet 2-center, Bob. You are definitely made of more hardy stock than I... I'm still waiting for some 50 degree days (or warmer!) And in Michigan, that can make for some LONG waiting in the winter / spring!!
Here's to happy hunting and many great finds.
Bob
PS Krom - just visited your website. Great finds. You da man!!

Thanks, HobBob. That's over the past 3 years, but I haven't up-dated it for about 6 months. More to come, for sure... this summer.

Beautiful coin Bob! They sure don't make soins that pretty anymore! TYoo bad the weather was so bad!

As for movies, for the most part I agree with you and Krom, but I enjoyed National Treasure - except for the scene in the beginning when they were hunting with Bounty Hunters, lol!

I'd call that coin just about uncirculated. Its a beautiful 2 center.
I have seen pictures, but not one up close, thanks for the shot.
Probably sat on some shelf for over a hundred or some years smg

Nice 2 cent piece Bob--Sorry to hear about your weather and detecting misfortunes though

Rustynail,

clad - any US coin that is "sandwiched" with alloys of different metals.

Check out "The New Metal Detecting Lingo Glossary" in general hobby discussion forum.

Bob... I've been slackin' a bit here in replying (not that I mean to avoid, it's just that the posts are... you know... actin' like rabbits, so I jus' want to put MY "2¢" in here. :lol:
I've never seen such a beautiful 2-center in my life (not that I've even done a search for one), but... wow!!! That's the prettiest coin I can ever remember seeing in that condition.
I know it didn't come out of the ground, but... so what, ya know?
Jus' wanted to make that comment. Congrats to you and/or your Mom-in-law!
Here's a pic of the one (and I consider myself sooooo lucky to have found it) that I have found. It was at a 400+ acre farm that carries on as if they are still living in the 1850's (like they did way-back-when), but the historical society lets me and "Snowy" detect it exclusively... luckily.
Found it under one of the big fluffy bushes that's been the "greeters" since the old days (in other words, where past detectorists have failed to search 'cause of the little thorns... the whoosies!)...!

Back
Top Bottom